never used the word entitled. but again, if he shot it, has some trail cam photos and his story checks out then I dont have an issue giving to them. I'm certainly not mounting them, so why am I keeping them?

no, you never did....but if the guy goes through all sorts of trouble digging up "evidence", then it would seem he does have some sense of entitlement......and yeah, I kinda get it if the guy had some type of history with the deer, probably how the guy came off when he was looking to get them from me.

What a beautiful 8 pt but unfortunately that's hunting. Whenever u let an arrow or bullet fly things unforeseen to the best of us can happen. I found a buck a friend of mine shot about 10 years ago, I called him and he didn't want it, as he felt it wasn't his . After 2 years I gave it to my nephew he has it in his room and started his "collection".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno. If you fail to track and retrieve a shot deer, it's fair game for whoever does recover the carcass in the end. Once the blood ended on a deer like that I would have circled and circled until I was sure he wasn't close by.

It sounds like a full 3 weeks passed before the carcass was discovered. I would have gone back every day for a week.

Usually after a week birds circle the area to feed on.. Look to the sky.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It seems to me that once the animal has been reduced to non-edible carrion, it is no longer a "harvest", but simply a search of antlers. The only salvageable part of the find is the antlers, so the shooter is no longer looking for a deer. ....just the antlers. At that point the antlers become the same as sheds and whoever finds them gets the ownership.

• Like 11

It seems to me that once the animal has been reduced to non-edible carrion, it is no longer a "harvest", but simply a search of antlers. The only salvageable part of the find is the antlers, so the shooter is no longer looking for a deer. ....just the antlers. At that point the antlers become the same as sheds and whoever finds them gets the ownership.

Well if we're looking at it from any sort of legal standpoint, even a freshly killed deer is still the "property" of the land owner regardless of who shot it.

From a technical standpoint I disagree that they're sheds. Shed's aren't connected and they're natrual and I've never met a guy who mounted a shed. However, I know many who have had the unfortunate circumstances where they recovered the deer after the meat had spoiled or coyotes had done their damage. Several of those were still mounted. Me personally, I believe that's a personal choice. I might be bothered everytime I look at that mount knowing the outcome. I still at the very least would still cap the horns and put them up in the garage. I don't believe there's a right or wrong, but I do not put it in the same category as a natural process like shedding.

Well if we're looking at it from any sort of legal standpoint, even a freshly killed deer is still the "property" of the land owner regardless of who shot it.

From a technical standpoint I disagree that they're sheds. Shed's aren't connected and they're natrual and I've never met a guy who mounted a shed. However, I know many who have had the unfortunate circumstances where they recovered the deer after the meat had spoiled or coyotes had done their damage. Several of those were still mounted. Me personally, I believe that's a personal choice. I might be bothered everytime I look at that mount knowing the outcome. I still at the very least would still cap the horns and put them up in the garage. I don't believe there's a right or wrong, but I do not put it in the same category as a natural process like shedding.

Absolutely it is a part of a natural process. Life and death are natural acts in nature, and once a deer has been lost, it becomes carrion, and part of nature's waste, antlers and all. There is no difference how or why it became part of natures waste or got to where it got. It has been reduced to decaying natural resources, absolutely no different from the rest of the rotting carcass and truly the same as a shed or old dried up skull and antlers from a earlier year and is legitimately available to the finder with all legal and logical and moral rights to it. I have a rather extensive collection myself of the same kinds of natural forest remnants and I also have included in that collection skulls with antlers attached or separated. It's all the same kind of stuff. That hunter lost any claim to it the minute he permanently abandoned the trail. At least that's the way I see it.

• Like 1

in this case though sounds like cape and everything was salvageable. i dont put that in the "decaying" category.

The deer was found like 3 weeks after being shot... If the story the OP gave us was true and it was 80 yds from where they lost blood chances are it was dead within a 24 hours. The cape would've been LONG gone. The hide starts slipping after a few days.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

in this case though sounds like cape and everything was salvageable. i dont put that in the "decaying" category.

Well, the dispute is not over the cape. It is the antlers that the hunter #2  took home. If the original hunter wants the cape, it is probably still there rotting away.....lol. But of course, even that would not be available if it were not for the fact that hunter #2 actually found it. The thing for hunter #1 to do is to be satisfied that he even found out the fate of the deer that he shot and lost and let the antler collector add his find to his collection without harassment.

• Like 4

The deer was found like 3 weeks after being shot... If the story the OP gave us was true and it was 80 yds from where they lost blood chances are it was dead within a 24 hours. The cape would've been LONG gone. The hide starts slipping after a few days.

Not to mention that the critters would have had their way with the carcass (including the cape).

• Like 1

The thing for hunter #1 to do is to be satisfied that he even found out the fate of the deer that he shot and lost and let the antler collector add his find to his collection without harassment.

Correct.  Hunter #1 could certainly learn from seeing the deer's body.  See exactly where he hit the deer, what he may have done wrong.  I have trouble believing it was a solid heart/lung hit and still traveled 1.35 miles.  Of course, it may have been a decent shot, and an extremely tough deer.  AND the final take home message for hunter #1... keep tracking!  If he followed blood for 1.3 miles, he shouldve been out searching after the blood stopped.  At that point, you pull out everything you have at your disposal.  Search dogs, groups of buddies, kids.  No matter how thin it may be... 1.3 miles is a lot of blood.  Any deer deserves a complete search, but if you give up on finding it, you are giving up that giant trophy rack as well. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 2

Well, the dispute is not over the cape. It is the antlers that the hunter #2  took home. If the original hunter wants the cape, it is probably still there rotting away.....lol. But of course, even that would not be available if it were not for the fact that hunter #2 actually found it. The thing for hunter #1 to do is to be satisfied that he even found out the fate of the deer that he shot and lost and let the antler collector add his find to his collection without harassment.

I'm not even saying I disagree with you. I guess I just understand wanting the horns.

*insert meat guy who says "you can't eat horns" here*

I'm not even saying I disagree with you. I guess I just understand wanting the horns.

LOL... lots of "you can't eat horns" hunters... until they finally shoot one with horns... then it's posting photos "til the cows come home. There was a guy here on the forum (no names) that claimed not to post pics of any deer he gets... until he killed a nice buck this year.. first thing he did that day was post it.. LOL

• Like 2

Sure he wants the antlers, but he didn't seal the deal did he? He came up way short and didn't really earn them. The guy who found them wants the antlers too, and has more right to them as far as I am concerned. The first guy lost his claim when he turned around and went home. After that, the whole carcass, antlers and all, became just another remnant laying in the woods rotting, to be found and claimed by whoever comes along.

• Like 5

LOL... lots of "you can't eat horns" hunters... until they finally shoot one with horns... then it's posting photos "til the cows come home. There was a guy here on the forum (no names) that claimed not to post pics of any deer he gets... until he killed a nice buck this year.. first thing he did that day was post it.. LOL

Exactly

I never saw a deer with horns. I have seen quite a few with antlers for sdure

Don't be silly... There's not a member here who wouldn't agree it's a common phrase/slang.

Sure he wants the antlers, but he didn't seal the deal did he? He came up way short and didn't really earn them. The guy who found them wants the antlers too, and has more right to them as far as I am concerned. The first guy lost his claim when he turned around and went home. After that, the whole carcass, antlers and all, became just another remnant laying in the woods rotting, to be found and claimed by whoever comes along.

This I agree with. I guess all I'm saying is I understand why the "wounder" feels that way. Like I said earlier, I'd be bothered by mounting those horns. It'd be a reminder of my failure. But that's me personally, but I can understand the other side of it.

Exactly

Don't be silly... There's not a member here who wouldn't agree it's a common phrase/slang.

This I agree with. I guess all I'm saying is I understand why the "wounder" feels that way. Like I said earlier, I'd be bothered by mounting those horns. It'd be a reminder of my failure. But that's me personally, but I can understand the other side of it.

Yeah, telling the story of that hunt probably wouldn't really impress anyone ..... lol.