Age this guy...

WNYBuckHunter

I honestly dont think hes 2, because his legs look too short to me, and his rear end is too small. Typically a 2 year old has a large looking rump and long, lanky legs. I just dont see it with this deer. I also think his chest is too deep for 3, as that body structure is usually kind of balanced between front and rear. Im having a hard time with this guy.

3.5 all day long to me.  doesn't have the mass front to back of a 4.5 year old.  if you cover his front end his back looks like a 2.5 year old.  neck would have more depth and drop into the brisket smoother at 4.5 yrs old.  tarsal staining about right at 4.5 their aim starts to make it run right down the leg just about.  too much front end mass, depth of body, and legs look too "short" for even a 2.5 yr old in this northern part of the country.  doesn't matter what his antlers look like. i've seen 130+" 3.5 yr olds and others score under 100".  guess someone should shoot him at some point and send the teeth in.  looks like a clone of our RD's buck.

Since you won't show us horns....how about a look at his teeth???  

IMO, no more than 2 1/2 maybe 1 1/2...not much muscle in the hind quarters.

Come on, show us those spikes!!

Teeth? Did you not read that we didnt kill him this year?

Here are pics of known 1 1/2, 2 1/2  and 3 1/2 year olds from the same spot for additional reference.

post-8-0-16781900-1450128473_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-94626900-1450128654_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-11418200-1450128695_thumb.jpg

I dont know, we never killed him. Im just looking for other opinions. I blocked out the antlers because IMO way too many people look at them to try and age a buck.

Ill have another one for you guys another time, and I know how old that one was.

we had a display that was made by hard working guy that our group used at the local fairs.  folks had to match up age to a nice broadsided head up trail cam pic.  all local bucks and doe.  bucks 1.5 - 5.5+ yrs old.  the 3.5 yr old photo was a very nice racked buck and the 5.5 photo not so much.  a good half the people that stopped by the booth picked the 3.5 yr old to be the oldest.  when explained things to them and covered portions of the deer and especially the rack they just looked dumbfounded.  suddenly that smaller racked 5.5 year old turned into a "heifer", "beast", etc.

• Like 1

Think he's 3... Even though he may be bulked up a bit for the rut def not older than that ... Got that race horse look and not the lanky long legs like a 2 year old ... Decent neck on him but not enough for a 4 year old ... 3, final answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by deerpassion
  • Like 1

I dont know, we never killed him. Im just looking for other opinions. I blocked out the antlers because IMO way too many people look at them to try and age a buck.

Ill have another one for you guys another time, and I know how old that one was.

Mannnnnn, I was hoping you killed him! 

I always like the "Guess the score" & "Age this deer" threads with the deer actually dead and know the real numbers.

• Like 1

Mannnnnn, I was hoping you killed him! 

I always like the "Guess the score" & "Age this deer" threads with the deer actually dead and know the real numbers.

I started one of those today.

I didnt have an encounter with this buck, but one of the guys I hunt with did when he was hunting with his daughter. The cam is 15 yards from the stand they were in. She couldnt get a shot at him. Im pretty sure after looking at the pics a bunch that he is most likely 3. His chest is just way too big for 2.

• Like 1