PA may put $25 Bounty on Coyotes

Mr VJP

Wont do anything. not enough people will care as well as all the research pointing to the fact that coyotes will bread more now that the population is being thinned. It would take a MASSIVE statewide effort to get rid of the coyote problem. If the fur prices were back to where they used to be before they plummeted and there weren't as many restrictions on the type of traps then maybe it would be better. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 5

Wont do anything. not enough people will care as well as all the research pointing to the fact that coyotes will bread more now that the population is being thinned. It would take a MASSIVE statewide effort to get rid of the coyote problem. If the fur prices were back to where they used to be before they plummeted and there weren't as many restrictions on the type of traps then maybe it would be better.

Bingo!

Just more proof that a year round yote season does doodly-squat for population control.

You think deer can pattern hunters? Coyotes will learn to expect you.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Many states, including NY and Pa, had bounties on many different "varmints" years ago. I remember when PA paid a $5 bounty on great horned owls and Alaska and several western states paid bounties on eagles.Elmer Keith once said that the .270 Win was a good eagle rifle. My buddy in Juneau Alaska, who worked most of his life as a commercial fisherman, used to shoot bald eagles for a $50 bounty. He still refers to them as "white headed buzzards"

About 50 years ago, the states came to the realization that bounties did no good and were a waste of the taxpayers money.. Now they have figured out many OTHER ways to waste our money !

• Like 6

So, we are back to this nonsense about "out of control" or "increasing" coyote populations.  Your 19th century approach to game management does not work. It seems people guesstimate the number of coyotes based upon 2 subjective things: how many they hear; how much game they see. Where is the evidence that coyotes are increasing? Why can't you find someone with a science based approach to agree with you.

From http://newwest.net/topic/article/hunting_and_predators_does_it_work/C564/L564/

"....a growing body of evidence suggests that indiscriminate predator control, whether due to sport hunting or by predator control agencies like Wildlife Services, has the opposite effect and actually increases conflicts between humans and predators."

From DU:

Q: What about using predator control to produce more ducks?

A: On a local scale, predator control can provide immediate benefits to a few waterfowl, but it will not contribute to the long-term security of waterfowl habitat and waterfowl populations or abundance on a continental or even regional scale. Nor is there a lasting impact on waterfowl numbers, because as predators are removed they are quickly replaced, or other predator populations increase. Predators have to be removed every year, and that is not a realistic option over large areas or over the long term.

From Texas - http://agrilife.org/texnatwildlife/coyotes/table-of-contents/the-effects-of-control-on-coyote-populations/

".........coyote populations can support high rates of exploitation. Sterling et al. (1983) found in their simulations that control programs inflicting less than 50% annual mortality could not be expected to produce declining populations using any combination of litter size and percent breeding. Windberg and Knowlton (1988) showed that the number of coyotes actually using small geographic areas, and therefore the number that would have to be removed to gain population control, is much greater than one might infer from density estimates"

• Like 3

We have a bunch of coyotes ,the cams tell me that.  I get day pics of them as well as night...but rarely do I see them in person ,unless I'm sitting or walking just before dawn. I wouldn't have shot the one I did this year had it not been he manged to be at the fenced area too late..

BTW.. yes did kill him for he's been stinking up that area with these warm temps, pretty good...he aparently didn't get far once rounding the fence.  Though I do not understand ...even though I saw him running pretty "funny" why a slug hit didn't drop or at least roll him. unless I hit shale  close or under him and the slug fragmented....Did that once before.

We have a bunch of coyotes ,the cams tell me that. I get day pics of them as well as night...but rarely do I see them in person ,unless I'm sitting or walking just before dawn. I wouldn't have shot the one I did this year had it not been he manged to be at the fenced area too late..

BTW.. yes did kill him for he's been stinking up that area with these warm temps, pretty good...he aparently didn't get far once rounding the fence. Though I do not understand ...even though I saw him running pretty "funny" why a slug hit didn't drop or at least roll him. unless I hit shale close or under him and the slug fragmented....Did that once before.

You never saw the body. How are you so sure it's dead?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Well a few reasons...I was the only person hunting the area...The next day I drive by to see large birds circling where he went into swamp after rounding my fence. then you have my nose...which is pretty darn good actually . The smell is very distinct..and one I remember from the coyote Mr B killed at camp and left on the side of the wood line...it was down wind of the trail we walk to get to certain stands and it was blowing that exact type of smell up the path we had to take. Now there could be coincidences occuring here...but lets see, years in the woods...I'm thinking not.

Edited by growalot

Death..has different smells,,,from raccoons to humans( dated a guy whos uncle was a mortician) Pretty sure I could never have been a homicide detective. Hospitals and nursing homes, I have a real problem with. Has to do with food eaten and skin /glands, decomposing gases... But one can actually smell death on a dying person not good.

I agree that people way overestimate coyote populations, they hear 2 or 3 and swear there are 40 of them, they see coyote tracks on the snow (coyotes travel far and wide), they reach for a reason to blame "dwindling" deer numbers... First off if you feel that way then ask yourself, "Am I doing anything to address the problem?" I coyotes hunt quite a lot in the winter and I have NEVER come across a fellow coyote hunter/trapper. I love coyote hunting and i take every one that gives me the opportunity but i don't begrudge them for existing. Secondly some people seem to HATE coyotes for some unknown reason, is it because they are too smart for you to kill? Is it because they take a few deer a year in order to survive? Are we as hunters in any way, shape or form more entitled to these deer than the animals that depend on the occasional deer for survival? The coyotes are not slaughtering off your deer. In the spring the fawns are certainly vulnerable but after that its rare that a coyote could take down an adult deer in good health. An intense, quick deer rut is the best defense against coyote predation on fawns. Its called "predator swamping." Coyotes will never go away and I'm glad, if you've never tried matching wits with coyotes on their terms then I suggest you try it. If you think deer are cagey you're mistaken. Besides, if coyotes are so overpopulated how hard could it be right? Give it a try... That's my rant for the day.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For all you coyote protectionists, I bought my NY land 20 years ago.  Lots of deer and turkey then and NO coyote.

After 5 years, saw my first coyote.  Since then have seen fewer and fewer deer and turkey and lots more coyote.

Here, they run in packs of 5 or 6 and they DO take down adult deer.  These are hybrid coyote/wolf that often exceed 40 pounds and they all have wolf DNA that traces back to Minnesota.  I DO hunt them and it requires night hunting.  Once the deer hunting starts, the yotes become completely nocturnal, spending their days here hidden in holes in the ground.  I've personally seen them disappear under a blowdown and not come up the entire day I sat in my stand waiting for them.  Most hunters are not willing to hunt at night in the bitter cold.

I really don't give two sheets what any of your so called "scientific", so called "evidence", says.  I'll base my beliefs on what I actually see.  Too often the data you guys supply comes from sources that are more animal friendly and anti hunting than pro hunting or wildlife management.

These days I kill far more coyote than deer or turkey.  In my area, coyote didn't exist at all 30 years ago.  As far as I'm concerned, the sooner it reverts back to the way it was, the better.

They are invasive predators.  Show me scientific evidence that proves they aren't.  I have no evidence to prove my theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if, in the future, the lack of deer and turkey becomes the reason for the anti hunting crowd demanding your deer and turkey hunting be banned.  Anti's have been trying to promote natural predation in lieu of hunting for decades.

• Like 1

I could be mistaken but this deer looks healthy to me. Except for where coyote(s) already went for the arse as they do

I didn't say its impossible, I said its rare. I'm basing my opinion off of facts that have been proven through scientific studies that were not anti hunting groups I'm quite certain. But you're right, these animals should know better than to try to survive to better serve your hunting pleasures... I suggest you enlighten yourself with FACTS, not scuttlebutt around the local diner.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Funny thing..........For quite a few years at my uncles cabin in Naples (on the south side of Hunt Hollow) we would often hear coyotes in groups howling at night. 

One evening when we had an over load of guys sleeping in the cabin, my buddy and I slept in the barn. Sometime well after midnight a group (who the hell knows how many, may have only been three but sounded like a half dozen) of 'yotes started making music RIGHT OUTSIDE THE BARN!  It was scary and unreal at the same time.

For all those "howling packs" over the years I've only ever got more than one 'yote on my trail camera a couple times and those were young pups.  FWIW, for the most part the past 4-5 years all I've done is 20 second video from my cameras giving ample time for multiple 'yotes to make it to the big screen.

• Like 2

Dang , you almost hurt my feelings I'm all for shooting as many as I see. As soon as we get some snow I'll be out there with the caller and #4 buck. I know they impact deer population and any avid turkey hunter will SSS them all spring season long. This was the first spring season in a long time I didn't see one coming in to try and kill a turkey ( me )!

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2