Age This Buck

WNYBuckHunter

The first two picks looks like a one year old with the long legs and compact body.  The third pic looks a lot older almost like a different deer. In that pic his chest is wide and legs look shorter. His body in that pic is filled out and I'm guessing a three year old. But since it is the same deer I'll split the difference and call it a two year old. I'm never right aging pic's of deer so what do I know!....lol

The first two picks looks like a one year old with the long legs and compact body.  The third pic looks a lot older almost like a different deer. In that pic his chest is wide and legs look shorter. His body in that pic is filled out and I'm guessing a three year old. But since it is the same deer I'll split the difference and call it a two year old. I'm never right aging pic's of deer so what do I know!....lol

I would have to agree. I don't think the top two pics are the same deer as the bottom picture. The bottom buck  pictured appears to be a 3.5 yr. old and the top two pictures appear to be a 2.5 yr. old.

those pictures sure do make it difficult.  I'd go with 2.5 yr old for those.  depth of body too much for yearling but still seems even enough from front to back to be consistent with a 2.5 yr old.  jacked up rear end and long legs typical of a 2.5 yr old.  base of the neck doesn't appear to be hitting that low on the chest.  I agree the last photo looks like a beefed up deer but it's a difficult photo.  can't see neck, legs blend in to forest floor, and can't see overall broadsided profile to tell mass and depth of body from front to back.  not the best photos for judging without knowing more to the story.

So...no more guesses on this one then?

This one is a 4 1/2. Its the buck I called Hooks, and he was killed opening day of gun this year. I have pics of him as a 2 1/2 from 2 years ago. He has a very distinct curved brow tine on the left side that has been there since he was 2.

When I first checked and saw the first 2 pics, I thought it was a young deer too, until I really started looking at him. Ive had a few guys pick him off at 4 from the pics, but most say 2 or 3. I even had one guy see the first two pics and say "eh, not bad" then saw the third and go gaga over it.

post-8-0-62020000-1450444606_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-02403100-1450444610_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-68300300-1450444612_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So...no more guesses on this one then?

This one is a 4 1/2. Its the buck I called Hooks, and he was killed opening day of gun this year. I have pics of him as a 2 1/2 from 2 years ago. He has a very distinct curved brow tine on the left side that has been there since he was 2.

When I first checked and saw the first 2 pics, I thought it was a young deer too, until I really started looking at him. Ive had a few guys pick him off at 4 from the pics, but most say 2 or 3. I even had one guy see the first two pics and say "eh, not bad" then saw the third and go gaga over it.

being the bucks you know in the area, your trail cam, your background, and seeing the whole first two pictures as a young deer, I feel better with royally screwing up the age.  2nd picture had me second and 3rd pictures had me second guessing.  3rd pic we hard to truly tell if the legs were really that short and he was really that big.  goes to show it takes lots of practice and/or more ideal pictures.  I know we say don't go by antlers but if he didn't grow a black box on his head I wouldn't have said 2.5 still.