Winter plans - Hinge cutting/ tree downing

That's what I was thinking, let em grow. Just another spot to get a deer to stop and check, does or bucks. Might not happen everyday but for the cost seems worth it. From what I have read, keep it in cover, near bedding, away from food, place stand with in shooting distance. Seems good to me. 

Another thing I wanted to comment on was some of my observations. With this cold and wind we have been getting, not much lake snow in my area. But from driving around my hunting spot and some snow on the ground, makes it easy to see deer in the woods hiding from the wind! Is this viable information for hunting season? Or is it just deer know where to go when it gets cold and nasty out?

If there's a good strong SW wind during season.. I usually focus my efforts on hillsides or bottoms that would be out of the wind(N, NE facing slopes) have found good number of does mainly in these places.. but I don't think a buck in the rut is going to change his ways because of a strong wind, he may check these places for does or something.. i think good bucks cruise more during strong weather systems, wind, rain snow.. etc.. during the rut anyways

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Caught many a buck walking along the gully on windy days and because the gully is on the top "back side" of the west sloping hill(west to east as it winds through) they will bed there and on the lower side of the hill on windy days, I find them in and along the planted pines and all my brush pile fences.I have built several hundred yards of brush pile fences ..they cut wind and snow plus provide cover for me going to different stand locations...they get built up every winter/ spring...enjoyable busy work...that provides cover for rabbits,song birds,ect.... and cleans the woods for easier turkey scratching and feeding.

Link is to brush pile fencing and pics show a few water holes:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/8586-brush-pile-fencing/#entry110036

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/27384-the-brush-pile-fence/#entry376183

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 12189 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Here are some water hole ideas...the third pic is just the corner of a Koi Pond liner....I try not to sink them anymore because the frogs breed and hatch minnows....dirties the water too much...

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-261-0-89073900-1360186368_thumb.jpg
  • post-261-0-74733700-1360186394_thumb.jpg
  • post-261-0-80647100-1360186600_thumb.jpg
  • post-261-0-81408600-1360186692_thumb.jpg

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1