NY is #1 Worst State to Hunt Whitetails

Renegade Hunter

The ones that i know that do it or have done it take the first antlered buck they see and the old lady's tag goes on it and then they hold theirs for the rut and a bigger buck.

Shorten the season and shorten the crimes.Which in turn saves lives. You can still shoot little bucks if thats your choice but you only have 10 days to do so.

The problem here is they not only have the wifes regular season, they have them go for the bow class as well... OK read carefully..Fact! one of the lease guys had his wife and her girl friend go to the bow course...Neither bow hunt and one does not, nor will ever, own a bow...he uses his wife tag...EXACTLY like mentioned in above post...then trophy hunts for his tag...but not only that, offered to buy the girl   freinds tags. Just to give them some venison :nono::rolleyes:...Mind you she actually does gun hunt along with her family.. I also know a guy over in the Castile area..who almost became a game officer..that does the same thing.. but not just his wifes...he goes around filling other ppls tags(bow/gun)...openly...Then has the nerve to say when guys in his area beoutch about it ...they are just jealous they aren't as good a hunter!...How to stop this....shorten all seasons?...Proficiency tests...if you can't hit the broad side of a barn...draw back a bow...or know where to load a fire arm :rolleyes:  you do not get a license.

Edited by growalot

The problem here is they not only have the wifes regular season, they have them go for the bow class as well... OK read carefully..Fact! one of the lease guys had his wife and her girl friend go to the bow course...Neither bow hunt and one does not, nor will ever, own a bow...he uses his wife tag...EXACTLY like mentioned in above post...then trophy hunts for his tag...but not only that, offered to buy the girl freinds tags. Just to give them some venison :nono::rolleyes:...Mind you she actually does gun hunt along with her family.. I also know a guy over in the Castile area..who almost became a game officer..that does the same thing.. but not just his wifes...he goes around filling other ppls tags(bow/gun)...openly...Then has the nerve to say when guys in his area beoutch about it ...they are just jealous they aren't as good a hunter!...How to stop this....shorten all seasons?...Proficiency tests...if you can't hit the broad side of a barn...draw back a bow...or know where to load a fire arm :rolleyes: you do not get a license.

Just what we need the GOV. to tell us if we are a good enough shot! How about punishing the bad guys and not everyone! Make punishment stricter. I guy in my town got caught with a deer he shot and used his moms tag he got a 125$ fine and they took his reg season tag and the deer "this is what I was told so like everything it could be wrong." Are you kidding me talk about a slap on the wrist! To stop this crap what we need is strickter punishment how about a 1 strike loss of license for life for an illegally tagged deer?

Just what we need the GOV. to tell us if we are a good enough shot! How about punishing the bad guys and not everyone! Make punishment stricter. I guy in my town got caught with a deer he shot and used his moms tag he got a 125$ fine and they took his reg season tag and the deer "this is what I was told so like everything it could be wrong." Are you kidding me talk about a slap on the wrist! To stop this crap what we need is strickter punishment how about a 1 strike loss of license for life for an illegally tagged deer?

You think someone that gets caught with an illegally tagged deer, or a deer not tagged at all, that gets his/her license revoked for life will stop hunting?  I doubt it.  I would think that that person will just continue to hunt, just now without a license.  Not enough DEC officers out there for there to be a real threat of getting caught several times, or even once.

Well I never mentioned other states...I do not hunt other states, nor do I care to...I'm sure it does happen and I don't know what kind of ECO officers they have or how many . I do know here and it's a problem. One that can't be fixed by shortening one season....I find it interesting that having to take a test where NO one EVER fails...... to get a license isn't Government intrusion.... but asking for profiency as part of that test is......

You think someone that gets caught with an illegally tagged deer, or a deer not tagged at all, that gets his/her license revoked for life will stop hunting? I doubt it. I would think that that person will just continue to hunt, just now without a license. Not enough DEC officers out there for there to be a real threat of getting caught several times, or even once.

No I don't but I think It would keep the "not so bad outlaws" from taking the risk.

As for the other states it absolutely happens but other states have a lot tougher laws that I think helps keep some of them on the law abiding side.

Would any of you set your cruise on the highway at 73 like I do if the punishment was loss of license for a year? Now of course there are some who would loose their license and be driving that same day but I bet many would just do the speed limit.

And another thing I bet the LEO's would be more apt to press charges if it was a 10k$ fine as to 150$

Edited by Buckmaster7600

So you forget to check a box on a tag and you lose your license for life? Really? We set rapists and murders free after a few years on good behavior, and you want to hand out a lifetime punishment for tagging a deer wrong?

I think the fines are pretty low right now, but increases need to be kept relative to the crimes. Get caught jacking deer the first time? Suspension for x years. Get caught twice? Lifetime loss. Illegally using another persons tag? Suspension the first time, then longer the second, lifetime loss after the third. Maybe start fining the people that are allowing others to use their tags as well as fining the person using it? That might make people think twice about allowing others to use their tags. The options are endless really, but ust going for an extremely harsh penalty right out of the gate for most things, makes about as much sense as no penalties at all.

• Like 2

Well I never mentioned other states...I do not hunt other states, nor do I care to...I'm sure it does happen and I don't know what kind of ECO officers they have or how many . I do know here and it's a problem. One that can't be fixed by shortening one season....I find it interesting that having to take a test where NO one EVER fails...... to get a license isn't Government intrusion.... but asking for profiency as part of that test is......

I never said you did. The title of the thread is that NY is the worst and there have been a few replies in here that read like NY is some kind of unique criminal playground when it comes to deer hunting.

No I don't but I think It would keep the "not so bad outlaws" from taking the risk.

As for the other states it absolutely happens but other states have a lot tougher laws that I think helps keep some of them on the law abiding side.

Would any of you set your cruise on the highway at 73 like I do if the punishment was loss of license for a year? Now of course there are some who would loose their license and be driving that same day but I bet many would just do the speed limit.

And another thing I bet the LEO's would be more apt to press charges if it was a 10k$ fine as to 150$

Again, punishment needs to fit the crime. Speeding isnt a horrible act. How many kid touchers live amongst us? We cant even kill those sick *****s, or toss them in prison for life, but you want to fine someone a third or quarter of a years pay for driving a few miles an hour over the speed limit? Lets start locking people in the gulag.

So you forget to check a box on a tag and you lose your license for life? Really? We set rapists and murders free after a few years on good behavior, and you want to hand out a lifetime punishment for tagging a deer wrong?

I think the fines are pretty low right now, but increases need to be kept relative to the crimes. Get caught jacking deer the first time? Suspension for x years. Get caught twice? Lifetime loss. Illegally using another persons tag? Suspension the first time, then longer the second, lifetime loss after the third. Maybe start fining the people that are allowing others to use their tags as well as fining the person using it? That might make people think twice about allowing others to use their tags. The options are endless really, but ust going for an extremely harsh penalty right out of the gate for most things, makes about as much sense as no penalties at all.

A lifetime ban may be extreme but you get my point. As hunters and gun owners we are held to a higher standard for example if I was to go home drunk one night and punch my wife and was charged with a demestic I loose my pistol permit for life. So for one "lapse of judgement" it's basically a life time ban. What's the difference?

I really like the idea of penalizing the person whos tag it is!

A lifetime ban may be extreme but you get my point. As hunters and gun owners we are held to a higher standard for example if I was to go home drunk one night and punch my wife and was charged with a demestic I loose my pistol permit for life. So for one "lapse of judgement" it's basically a life time ban. What's the difference?

I really like the idea of penalizing the person whos tag it is!

The difference is you are showing evidence of using violence in an unwarranted manor. Plus, when applying for a pistol permit, you are agreeing that your permit will be revoked for being convicted of such things.

BTW, If you call punching your wife a lapse of judgement, I dont even know what to say.

• Like 3

I'm sure that's the case with every state. Guys not entering their bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buck after drying should make it, and i really have no care to enter it. im not looking for a prize or bragging rights. unless there becomes a study or research on book bucks to help with managing deer in this state, i will enter it. but until then i do not care to.. 

unless somebody can give me another reason, or a better reason to enter it, you may easily change my mind.. but i just dont really care if its entered or not..

• Like 1

People around us will use all there tags and anyone elses tags, legal or not.. they do not care, wrong tag per season, wmu you name it. But it has a tag on it. (for everything) Start holding people accountable for their actions, and punish per crime committed, people may start to think twice.. 

• Like 3

My buck after drying should make it, and i really have no care to enter it. im not looking for a prize or bragging rights. unless there becomes a study or research on book bucks to help with managing deer in this state, i will enter it. but until then i do not care to.. 

unless somebody can give me another reason, or a better reason to enter it, you may easily change my mind.. but i just dont really care if its entered or not..

I'm not sure how P&Y works. Is there a fee to get your buck in the books? maybe the $ goes towards conservation?

• Like 1

The guy who said NY is the worst state to hunt deer is the guy who doesn’t like the cold.
North American whitetail ranks NY 22nd out of 50 for deer hunting. Take a look at the NYBC book and that’s just the deer put into the book.
To the guys who go to Iowa and Ohio and places like that. It’s not the state that makes the deer hunting the way it is there, it’s how the properties are manage by the owners or leases. I hate to do this but look at Lee and Tiffany when you lockup a couple of thousand acres and only let a few people hunt it look at what you can do. If I read the Iowa regs. right a land owner in some places can kill up to 3 bucks. So there goes the 1 buck rule.

• Like 2

The guy who said NY is the worst state to hunt deer is the guy who doesn’t like the cold.

North American whitetail ranks NY 22nd out of 50 for deer hunting. Take a look at the NYBC book and that’s just the deer put into the book.

To the guys who go to Iowa and Ohio and places like that. It’s not the state that makes the deer hunting the way it is there, it’s how the properties are manage by the owners or leases. I hate to do this but look at Lee and Tiffany when you lockup a couple of thousand acres and only let a few people hunt it look at what you can do. If I read the Iowa regs. right a land owner in some places can kill up to 3 bucks. So there goes the 1 buck rule.

Do all 50 states have whitetails? I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1