Handling Trail Cams

peepsight

This past season is the first that I have used trail cams to any extent. To say that it has added a new dimension to my hunting routine would be an understatement. I'm curious to know if anyone has a specific method for handling during placement of their cameras. I've noticed that recently deer are taking a lot more interest in the camera itself. I have a significant increase in up close, face right in the lens pics. They don't appear spooked at all but maybe I should wear rubber gloves or spray them after handling. Appreciate any input/thoughts. Also .... when is the best time of the year to get the best deal on cams? I'd like to pick up a few more for next yr.

I don't worry about the human scent on my clothes, why should I worry about it on my camera?

:)

One of my cameras has a infrared flash and that absolutely does bother them.  The BBQ chicken wing sauce on my fingers COULD be a benefit..............  

• Like 1

I don't do anything to prevent my scent from being on the cams.  I typically have my 5 year old son with me and he helps hang them.  The best thing you can do is get them up to 6 feet or so and angle them slightly downward so that they aren't at eye level for the deer.  I think they pick up on the IR flash and white flash more than they do the scent itself.  Pulling the cards every week or two is like christmas year around.

You can find deals on cams pretty much year around.  Just depends on how much you are willing to spend.  Phade is kind of the resident "pro" when it comes to trail cams, so I am sure he will chime in at some point.  But you can get good quality cams for $100-$125 or less throughout the year.  Just do some research on some cams and know which companies to avoid like the plague.  Good luck!

I was curious about the muzzle pics and believe it's the IR flash.... I can't recall a daytime pic of them right at the camera so that would suggest scent isn't the attraction.

I'm going to experiment with some higher sets angled down to see if that'll draw less attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This past season is the first that I have used trail cams to any extent. To say that it has added a new dimension to my hunting routine would be an understatement. I'm curious to know if anyone has a specific method for handling during placement of their cameras. I've noticed that recently deer are taking a lot more interest in the camera itself. I have a significant increase in up close, face right in the lens pics. They don't appear spooked at all but maybe I should wear rubber gloves or spray them after handling. Appreciate any input/thoughts. Also .... when is the best time of the year to get the best deal on cams? I'd like to pick up a few more for next yr.

Sight, scent, and sound can all be factors that cause deer to investigate or have a reaction to a camera.

I have videos of deer literally licking my camera. Lots of them. Once one doe did it to a particular camera, that camera got licked for years afterwards even on different properties. So much so, the camera would get bumped a lot of times and be off target to where I was aiming.

Other than ditching the straps when possible (using screw in mounts), I don't often go through serious scent handling efforts. I used to a lot and I am not convinced it helps because the intrusion itself is doing way more damage than the cam is (scent-wise). I do ditch the straps because a lot of the stock ones are cheap and will soak up sweat, etc. More of a mental thing too, because I despise straps as a method to hang cams.

Deer are like people in that they have different dispositions. Some deer will be intrigued, some will be hesitant, some will leave for the next county, and some will ignore it.

There are several reasons why deer could be looking up close. Some cams, like the Black 60, have a black IR lens array cover, and that can be mirror-like in certain daytime sets. It took me a while, but I figured out deer were seeing themselves in the array. Even had a young buck bristle up at the cam.

But again, depending on the cam, there could be a variety of factors, plus you could just have curious deer.

I don't like the straps because they make the cameras visable from 360 . Which I think makes them more prone to theft, I would often see the strap around the tree before the camera I assume someone passing through would too.