Thompson Center contender pistol

mlammerhirt

My buddy has one in 35 Rem. that, he has taken several deer with over the years.  He wants to trade it with me for one of my S&W revolvers. Im on the fence because last time I shot his contender, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. And I was IN the barn!

That's funny!

I have not tried further than 75 yards. I get 3 to 4 inch groups at 75. It is a lot of bang for sure

Bubba, I know you reload. I have great luck in this caliber for the pistol using H4895 and loading reduced recoil loads. I am pushing a Hornady 130 grain SP bullets. on the bipod and bench I can get hardballl sized groups at 200 yards. 1" high at 100 gives be about 10" low at 200. I cant remember where I settled in for the actual grains of H4895 though. 

I have killed deer with 13  different chamberings, but over the last 20 years or so I  have done most of my whitetail hunting with the 7mm08.. As a conservative estimate I have killed perhaps 20 deer with it, probably more.

As far as performance on game, it kills at least as well as any other caliber I have used.

Accuracy has been excellent in any  7mm08 I have had experience with, and recoil is lighter than most other chamberings.

There are probably a dozen cartridges that work as well for deer hunting, but none that work any better, at least within the ranges that most of us shoot, say 350-400 yards max.

I started hunting the 7mm-08 around 5 or 6 years ago. I have taken deer with several different rifle calibers and so far the 08 is my favorite. I just use factory 140grn core lockt ammo. and it does a great job on deer. Light recoil, very accurate and hits real hard. 

Interesting points about pistol permit system.  I have a Contender and my permit says ".44/.22"   I added the gun in Washington County.  They listed my largest barrel (.44 mag) and smallest (.22 LR).  According to them my permit was good for those barrels, and anything in between.  I'm sure every county handles it differently.  The system is a joke... but of course, not as bad as the SAFE Act.