Forestry Management

Meeting ours Wednesday.... Just want to get his opinions on the lack of regeneration since our logging; if he feels we should do more.... Brainstorm some ideas for habitat needs.... And see if he feels there are any programs (EQIP, CRP) that might be beneficial.... He was over 5 years ago, nice guy, can't hurt to get his opinions......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pav, from my experience it will be well worth the time, I learned a lot from our forester and have ongoing dialog with him. Basically he walked the whole property answered questions and made recommendations. Then a couple weeks later provided a detailed plan. The plan was broken down into sections. Each section was detailed with what habitat was in the section and what recommendations were laid out.

You an also apply for funding. The funding is a decent amount, not a bad deal, they pay you to make improvements.

thanks for the input guys... I'm going to try and meet with them at the end of march. we have been trying to make improvements to our land every year and are starting to see some results. Hopefully we can take some of their suggestions and implement them this year.

These are the guys you're looking for http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/97398.html

Had my walk with Brice today... Great guy, very knowledgeable and informative. He hunts as well so looked at things from that type of eye during our walk but also indicated options to consider.....

Patience is key, no amount of work is going to bring immediate results... He was able to help us prioritize efforts toward where we would see the most immediate results, create a second tier of tasks to chip away at and develop strategies for the future.....

If you are in Brice's area I'd recommend scheduling a walk with him.... And I'm sure all these folks would be worth a call!

These are the guys you're looking for http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/97398.html

Had my walk with Brice today... Great guy, very knowledgeable and informative. He hunts as well so looked at things from that type of eye during our walk but also indicated options to consider.....

Patience is key, no amount of work is going to bring immediate results... He was able to help us prioritize efforts toward where we would see the most immediate results, create a second tier of tasks to chip away at and develop strategies for the future.....

If you are in Brice's area I'd recommend scheduling a walk with him.... And I'm sure all these folks would be worth a call!

Yeah Brice is great to work with!! At this oint i beleive he is covering region 8 and 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys... anybody know if the forestry managers are off during the month of January??? I

have been trying to call to set up an official appointment and have not yet had a phone call returned? I have probably left three different messages since the end of December.

Thanks

I had someone come to check out my 20 acres.  It was a fantastic decision.  He walked the property with me, pointed out stuff that I wouldn't know otherwise.   It took a while, but he sent me a comprehensive report, dividing the different areas of growth, providing recommendations on whether to clear, log, thin out, etc for each section.  I told him my goals (hunting) and he tailored his recommendations to meet my needs.  The next step would be to meet with someone from Cornell Cooperative for more about framing and plots, as these guys are primarily foresters.  He created a 5 year plan for me, and I am trying to stick to it, as time and money allows.  Very informative, helpful, and worth the time.  You will need to book way in advance, and they usually come during the spring/summer.  Good luck!