Surprise - New Bow

moog5050

So my barber collects guns and older bows but never hunts.  Before last season, he gave me an early 70s Kodiak magnum to start with traditional archery.  I promised him I would do my best to kill a deer with it and sure enough, I was fortunate enough to do so.  He was so happy that one of his bows was being used again and told me he never thought I would actually kill a deer with it. 

He just called me and said he has a Christmas gift for me.  Another bow.  He didn't give details, but I am sure it is another old recurve.  Should be fun to try to use it to get him a deer next season.  Excited to see what it is.  Hopefully its not too long as I have grown quite fond of that short bow.

• Like 8

Well, I stopped by his shop but didn't leave with the bow. He didn't realize it was a lefty. Lol. It was nice of him to think of me. I told him to keep it in the collection since I can't shoot lefty.

I have a custom being built so I will have a new recurve in the woods next year. There is something special about shooting the old bows though, even if they don't have the performance of today's recurves. I have a sneaky suspicion that the old KM will be back for an encore next year, maybe even introduce it to a buck.

I've got a lot of respect for anyone that kills a deer with traditional gear. To me, a spike with a recurve, is more of a trophy than a 140" with a compound.

I hope to get into traditional archery this year.

This was my first year with the recurve and I was 2 for 2 on does but did go with the compound once the opportunity to kill a buck arrived. I did enjoy the challenge and am seriously considering retiring the compound. The buck I killed was at 32yds and that was darn close to my max range with the recurve. So it would have been a tough decision on whether to shoot. But there a certain satisfaction of successfully killing one with a stick, string and arrow - nothing more. Plan to shoot ALOT!

• Like 3

Too bad on the lefty bow!  Must have been quite a surprise at the time........ :)

Who is making the new custom bow?

Draw weight?

Recurve or longbow?

Takedown?

Handle/limb material?

ETA?

Arrow composition?

I've had a few custom traditional bows in my day;Great Northern, Bighorn (Fred Asbell), Kohanna and IIRC a Dick Robertson.  All great stuff bows but I lost interest about 15 years ago and tripped EVERYTHING for a song.  Killed with both recurves and longbow and enjoyed the heck out of it at the time.

Well, I stopped by his shop but didn't leave with the bow. He didn't realize it was a lefty. Lol. It was nice of him to think of me. I told him to keep it in the collection since I can't shoot lefty.

I have a custom being built so I will have a new recurve in the woods next year. There is something special about shooting the old bows though, even if they don't have the performance of today's recurves. I have a sneaky suspicion that the old KM will be back for an encore next year, maybe even introduce it to a buck.

I happen to be a lefty, if he wants to sell it!

Law

The bow is being made by Don Doan of Doan Archery in CA. I had the chance to shoot one and to say I was impressed is an understatement. He is not a big name but is a meticulous craftsman and great to work with. Very attentive and responsive. It took a lot of photos just to select the veneers for the limbs. He wants to make the buyer thrilled. The limbs are going in the press tomorrow.

It is a 58" amo TD with 60 and 52lb limbs. I had it for a few days (with only 60lb limbs) and wanted a slight adjustment to the grip and sent it back. It is extremely hard hitting but still quiet. It was also very accurate for me. Really like it. I asked him to make the 52lb limbs while he had the riser so I have a choice. This may be my primary recurve for many years so I wanted a relatively light set of limbs. I will post some pics when it arrives again. I have owned a few bigger named bows, black widow, big Jim's, das dalaa, but this was the nicest I have ever shot. I was shooting fmj 340s with it but I am sure I will be playing with arrow selection. I like carbon though and heavy tip weight so my spine is typically pretty stout for the poundage I shoot.

Forgot to add, the riser is walnut and sapele, the 60lb limbs are cocabola with burl walnut over a maple core, for the 52lb limbs he had some really unique flitches of ziricote and we are splicing with them with birds eye maple. It should be unique when it's done.

Skillet

I will ask him if he is interested in selling. It was an older Herters bow, 50lbs. AMO was not printed on the bow but it looked like a 60" to me. If you are just starting, 50 May be a bit heavy. It was in nice condition. Black glass on belly and tan glass on back with a nice dark wood riser. That said, most people just starting are better of with a 30ish lber until form is perfected.

Edited by moog5050

He is on empire just before the Bay. Bob Alaimo. Been around a long time.

Think he may have worked with Sam at Colonial Razor when it was by the YMCA around the corner.

Another great barber shop , shot of whiskey around Christmas time, . 38 snub in cash drawer.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

sounds like he very well might come up with another one down the road.  your stature it's a bit odd being fond of such a short bow.  I've only shot a few custom bows.  A Bruin, a widow, and another I don't know the name of.  I had a Bear Super Kodiak made memories with.  then it delaminated for some reason.  Bear sent me a new one.  was going to tune it but never got to it this season.  definitely will probably make it a point to get it ready for next season.  60" amo and i'm 6' tall.  isn't as nice shooting as two of the three custom bows I shot but it's still a good bow.  finally tossed my glove and tabs in a box.  got a Damascus glove and it feels better of the box than any other glove that's been to hell and back.  kind of disappointed season is over now.  should've took it out.

...meant to say Widow not window.

Edited by dbHunterNY

sounds like he very well might come up with another one down the road.  your stature it's a bit odd being fond of such a short bow.  I've only shot a few custom bows.  A Bruin, a widow, and another I don't know the name of.  I had a Bear Super Kodiak made memories with.  then it delaminated for some reason.  Bear sent me a new one.  was going to tune it but never got to it this season.  definitely will probably make it a point to get it ready for next season.  60" amo and i'm 6' tall.  isn't as nice shooting as two of the three custom bows I shot but it's still a good bow.  finally tossed my glove and tabs in a box.  got a Damascus glove and it feels better of the box than any other glove that's been to hell and back.  kind of disappointed season is over now.  should've took it out.

...meant to say Widow not window.

I shoot the longer bows better for sure, but I am pretty decent with the little KM and I really like its maneuverability in the stand.  It was a bit more awkward shooting a 60" bow from the stand, but doable.  I think 58" will be a reasonable compromise between maneuverability and forgiveness.  Bear makes a good production bow.  Good luck with the new one.