Remington 783 Problems (miss loading from clip)

nobody

Well, today I packaged up my brand new Remington 783 to ship it back to them for evaluation.

Purchased through Gander Mountain 12/02/15   Problem is failing to load rounds from ammo clip properly during  fireing for target sighting in.

Inserting a loaded clip and slowly checking to see bolt line up contact point to rear of round to head of bolt looks normal.Everything discussed here was done at our club range.

But when you fire a round and go to load another round from clip into barrel, bolt will miss round and ride right over round in clip ???       This would be nice if you

were following up on a Black bear kill which you more than felt it was safe to do so.  Suddenly the bear gets up , looks at you and decides to check you out as a pork chop.

you quickly scope the bear, pull the trigger and hear a bad sound. ( Click). Oh s***t. Prepare to beat this bear to death with you gun.

I advised Remington that there is excessive bolt end play when bolt is retracted fully to the rear. what is happening after fireing and quickly loading another round

is another thing. A high speed camera would easily see what it is happening .i told Remington that if you took a brand new Remington 783 right out of the  box,

cleaned the barrel and went and test fired the gun at their range ,I guaranteed them they would encounter the same miss loading problems.

Ants, I looked into other hunting forums that had mentioned same problem based on the same not loading properly with the Remington 783.

They mailed their clips in and Remington mailed them back to them.Remington found the clips were ok. .Also I did not see any mechanical problems either with the clip that came with my gun., Thats why  Remington said

to send the new gun back. My reason is, the problem only occurs when you are actually shooting the gun.    After you shoot,, ,and begin  the reload  next round process, something is occuring that miss aligns the heard of the bolt when traveling forward to the rear of the next pick up round in the clip.Of course that,s Remington,s problem.

Hope I explained this better with more information I found out through digging deeper into this problem.

Ants, You and yours have a great holiday.

Later, Froggy

Almost always what you are describing is some sort of problem with the magazine. If it only happening after firing the gun I would suspect that the recoil is causing the magazine to move out of it's correct position inside the gun. Could be something to do with the latch that locks it in place when it is inserted into the rifle. 

Al

• Like 1

Almost always what you are describing is some sort of problem with the magazine. If it only happening after firing the gun I would suspect that the recoil is causing the magazine to move out of it's correct position inside the gun. Could be something to do with the latch that locks it in place when it is inserted into the rifle. 

Al

Yeah..the recoil is causing something to shift.

I would have checked the mag also but too late now. I hope your experience with remingtons repairs are better than mine. If it isnt the mag I would bet it's "bolt slop" this allows the bolt to lean backwards while being pulled out or pushed forward missing the next casing. Most likely remington won't find this because they will attemp to replicate the problem by slowly racking the bolt back while watching feeding occur. Most likely when you were at the range and you were shooting fast not watching it is when this occurred and then when you did it slow and watched it you could get it to feed properly.

Yes folks it could be bolt slop or magazine shifting enough to cause a miss load.Anyhow , this is Remingtons problem not mine.

If I correctly recall, the clip locks up towards the bullet end. Not the bullet rear. So this could maybe causeing this.

well ,when I get the rifle back I can imagine Remington,s response will be that there is nothing wrong.

thanks for your input ,

Happy holidays to you folks also,

Froggy

Yes folks it could be bolt slop or magazine shifting enough to cause a miss load.Anyhow , this is Remingtons problem not mine.

If I correctly recall, the clip locks up towards the bullet end. Not the bullet rear. So this could maybe causeing this.

well ,when I get the rifle back I can imagine Remington,s response will be that there is nothing wrong.

thanks for your input ,

Happy holidays to you folks also,

Froggy

I hate to be like this but I'm glad you have your expectations set reasonably for remington. I know others have had great luck with their repairs but I have not on multiple occasions. The good thing about this is that you have 10 months before you need it again so that should be enough time for 2 trips back and maybe a third if need be.

Realy? It's slang no different than ordering a "Coke". You know what he's talking about and if you don't than it doesn't matter anyway.""

You might see it as nit picking but its not slang, they are two entirely different things. Like " bullet "and " cartridge "  "dog" and "Cat"

Edited by ants

Interesting topic,

Just sited in my ruger American 30-06 this Friday and had the exact same issue. It would really only load properly if I pressed my palm on the bottom of the mag. Called ruger Monday and they sent me a new mag overnight no questions asked. Didn't even have to send in the bad one in. Tried the new one out yesterday and it works great. I'm very impressed with rugers customer service.

What rounds were you shooting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Belo

Internet cops are out in force as usual... You knew what he was talking about, here's where you interject something useful to his situation or go look for grammatical errors somewhere else...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

What could be interjected that is useful since it was in the box and sent back prior to the post? No body hopped on anyone, the term use was corrected and accurately so. 

What could be interjected that is useful since it was in the box and sent back prior to the post? No body hopped on anyone, the term use was corrected and accurately so.

Exactly my point. You didn't have anything useful yet you decided to pick apart his terminology.

"What could be interjected that is useful?" Your words, not mine...

You were the one that said I picked apart his terminology. I wasn't. I commented meaning that kind of hard to provide any meaningful insight to he magazine issue since it isn't even in his hands anymore. Members posted possibly issues and it is all speculation at this point. I don't see an issue in a post that was made correcting the terminology. Obviously you do have a need to be one of the sensitive ones that get their panties in a much and needs to feel offended. Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

It's slang, coke and Pepsi aren't the same thing either but I still order a coke.

Its not slang. Its two separate things. Has the waitress/waiter ever said "is Pepsi OK?"  Probably. Thats because they didn't carry coke just Pepsi, and Coke and Pepsi are two different things. 

If you walk into a bar and order a Bud would you expect the bar tender to give you a Miller?? 

A magazine is a magazine and a clip is a clip. 

Didn't want to start a war . but its not a slang .. its a terminology issue .. with our gun right up for grabs from the liberals we need to be on our game and know what we are talking about .. 

if you came to a gun store  and asked for a clip for your 270 axis .. guess what .. it won't work in that  gun ,.. if you wanted a magazine then your going to shoot away ..

can we let them ban 30 round clips if they will keep their ignorant hands off 30 round magazines?

Edited by JimMac
  • Like 1