DEC Announces Proposed Rule Changes to Allow Big Bore Air Rifles for Big Game Hunting

Rebel Darling

Public Comments Accepted Through February 8

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is now accepting public comment on proposed regulation changes that would allow the use of big bore air rifles as a legal implement for taking big game at certain times and places in New York, beginning in the fall 2016 hunting seasons, Acting Commissioner Basil Seggos announced today. DEC will accept written public comment on the proposed rule changes through February 8, 2016.

DEC is proposing to amend the regulations found within Title 6 of the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (6 NYCRR section 180.3) to allow the use of certain air-powered firearms for hunting big game. Air-powered rifles that meet certain specifications, termed "big bore air rifles," have adequate downrange energy to effectively harvest New York big game species. In 2010, DEC amended these regulations to allow the use of air-powered firearms for hunting small game.

"The popularity of air-powered firearms is growing, largely because of technological advancements," said Acting Commissioner Seggos. "These modern firearms produce the force necessary to efficiently harvest big game animals. In addition, because big bore air rifles are not as loud as conventional rifles or shotguns, allowing their use may make hunting more acceptable in locations with higher human densities, including areas where deer are overabundant."

Big bore air rifles are available commercially, and they fire bullets of sufficient size at sufficient velocities to safely and efficiently harvest big game. These big bore air rifles would only be allowed for taking big game where other types of rifles are allowed to be used for taking big game. Use of rifles for big game hunting is allowed in most New York counties. Please visit the Rifle, Shotgun, and Bow Areas webpage on DEC's website for more information.

Details of the proposed rule can be viewed in the December 23 publication of the New York State Register and on DEC's website under Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources Proposed, Emergency and recently adopted regulations - http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html#p1s1803

Citizens who wish to make formal public comments through February 8 may do so by sending an email to: [email protected] (include "air rifle regulations" in the subject line) or by writing to: Bryan L. Swift, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Bureau of Wildlife, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4754.

• Like 1

Here's the impact statement, which includes DEC's reasoning (Take Note: "it is possible that allowing their use may make it more acceptable to use them in locations with higher human densities than New York's rural countryside. Since a big bore air rifle is about as loud as a 0.22 caliber rimfire, it could enhance the ability of hunters to take deer where they are overabundant. By defining and allowing the use of big bore air rifles for hunting big game, New York hunters will have a modest increase in hunting opportunity.")

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/104335.html

Here's a link to the proposed regulation's language:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/104340.html

• Like 1

Some NYS hunters are pretty sheltered from what implements exist in other states for big game and I imagine it is partly due to the same mentality that some need a 300wm to take a NE whitetail.

Airguns have been used to take deer and larger game for years, glad NYS is giving it a chance. Per the DEC, "big bore airgun" is defined as:

Air-powered firearms designed for big game ("big bore air rifles") are available commercially, and they fire bullets that are 0.30 inches (0.30 caliber) or larger in diameter at sufficient velocities to safely and efficiently harvest big game at ranges of about 100 yards or less. The Department proposes a clear definition of "big bore air rifle" that must produce projectile velocities of not less than 650 feet per second, and fire projectiles that are no smaller than 0.30 inches (0.30 caliber) in diameter.

To give it some perspective, some Airguns are sub-moa and have enough energy out to 100yards for full skull penetration.

Westchester currently allows Airguns to be used for hunting small game. There is no size limit for bore. They'll simply need to amend big game to the regs and Westchester would be set.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

Shawn - so you think westchester would allow deer hunting with airguns next year? If so, I need to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see no reason why they wouldn't if it passes.

If I wanted to, I could carry a .50 cal + into the woods of Westchester today and hunt small game with it, no problem.

Here's the impact statement, which includes DEC's reasoning (Take Note: "it is possible that allowing their use may make it more acceptable to use them in locations with higher human densities than New York's rural countryside. Since a big bore air rifle is about as loud as a 0.22 caliber rimfire, it could enhance the ability of hunters to take deer where they are overabundant. By defining and allowing the use of big bore air rifles for hunting big game, New York hunters will have a modest increase in hunting opportunity.")

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/104335.html

Here's a link to the proposed regulation's language:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/104340.html

AKA - NY wants to encourage MORE poaching like they already do now!  They want guns that are quieter and can be used in urban areas.  This will increase the shady populous that are looking for any advantage to take game illegally.

• Like 1

AKA - NY wants to encourage MORE poaching like they already do now! They want guns that are quieter and can be used in urban areas. This will increase the shady populous that are looking for any advantage to take game illegally.

So you are also against bows for hunting since they are quiet and can be used in urban areas?

• Like 2

I see no reason why they wouldn't if it passes.

If I wanted to, I could carry a .50 cal + into the woods of Westchester today and hunt small game with it, no problem.

Hope your right. They should allow xbows too then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would they be legal in Westchester or only areas that have actual rifles?

You Can't Beat My Meat!

I don't know about Westchester big game hunting, if that's the answer you're after.  Can you use a shotgun for big game in Westchester?  Judging by the below comment (emphasis mine), I'm guessing 4J would be off-limits to air rifles because no other type of rifles are allowed to take big game within the WMU.

"These big bore air rifles would only be allowed for taking big game where other types of rifles are allowed to be used for taking big game. Use of rifles for big game hunting is allowed in most New York counties."