Wood Burning Stove

Dave

Been there ..... Done that ...... don't do it any more.

They are a pain in the neck . I used to worry about whether or not I closed the damper after loading it up and going somewhere . If you have a woodlot and can stay a year ahead of the need that helps . If you have to buy wood , it can be costly .

Culvercreek, I have a cabin up state that already has a stove with a glass door.  The stove I have usually goes our during the night, even when I load it with wood. A full load lasts only a few say about 3hrs. But my house is so well insulated the temp is still about 68 to 70 degrees when we get up. This stove can't be banked down so as long as there is wood in the stove it is cranking. It's a Vogelzang (mountaineer) bought it from Northern tool catalogue.

Dave

We have a Fisher air tight in the house . I havn't used it in a couple years but should . I would load it up at night and it would have hot coals in the am and all the wood wouldn't be completely burned up . I wouid put a pan of water on it to add moisture to the air . I put a register in the upstairs hallway to get a better air flow and some heat up there . It works quite well .

When we 1st bought it , I bought log loads , cut it to length and split it . Then I bought wood that was cut to length and split it ( by hand ) . Then I started buying , cut , split wood . That saved the wrists !

fasteddie is right the only way to go is air tight.. i have a 3200sq foot house with a free standing

quadra-fire stove in my den and a quadra-fire insert in my bar room i can heat the house to 70 and keep it there all winter long. just load up and burn for about 7 hrs,The insert runs 24 7 from Nov. to the end of march. I  burn about 6 to 8 cords a year,its alot of work, but i only use 12 gallons of fuel oil a week. I love it.

I wish I could find the sheet I had several years ago . It had the cost of a new PU truck , new stove and pipe , chain saw , chain sharpening , gas , beer , cost to replace truck transmission , cost to replace rear window in truck twice plus shocks and springs . Fire in the house . Cost for repairs , etc ..It ran about $80,000 for the 1st year .

It wasn't true but could have been .............

fasteddie is right the only way to go is air tight.. i have a 3200sq foot house with a free standing

quadra-fire stove in my den and a quadra-fire insert in my bar room i can heat the house to 70 and keep it there all winter long. just load up and burn for about 7 hrs,The insert runs 24 7 from Nov. to the end of march. I  burn about 6 to 8 cords a year,its alot of work, but i only use 12 gallons of fuel oil a week. I love it.

His house is warm!

best thing I EVER DID WAS GET RID OF THE WOOD BURING STOVE AND GET A NEW PELLET STOVE.

I go thru just 0ver a ton. Under $300 dollars.

It has reduced the over all cost of oil burner by 65%.

I start at 5 am and run till 9am and then restart at 6 pm till about 9 pm. The rest of the day the oil burner is set for 62 degees.

the negative is like with wood or pellet I do clean daily. I have to vacumn it out prior to start each morning. I then clean the vacumn so it ready for the next day. The pellet now do not fire starter, it has a glow element that starts the pellets up.

I still have about 5 face cord of wood . Havn't bought any in about 4 - 5 years . The last time I bought wood , it cost me $500 for 10 face cord delivered . It took me a while to stack it . Whew !

Where I come from $500 for 10 face cord is a steal... firewood is selling for $70-$90 a cord here!... I cut my own (what little I need for my fireplace)

The smell of a wood burning stove after being in the woods all day is part of the hunting experience. Then having a glass of wine or beer marks the end of a good day's hunt. I will try to get into the woods in late March to cut the blow downs close to the logging roads. Makes it easier to get the wood out of the woods and back to the house. Then split and stack the wood and let it season all spring, summer and fall.

Dave