Work horse trail cam??? PRIMOS

BBDEric

Anyone have this camera? For $40 I'm thinking of stocking up. I want recon pics not 20megapics so I can count the flees on his ass. I'm tired of spending 300 to have a camera die after a year or getting one jacked. At 40 I could care less if it died or walked off on its own.

• Like 1

Pass on that cam. If you are trying to skimp, a few sellers have the Moultrie Trace on ebay for 60. That cam is a much better deal in every sense of the word and its still not that much.

How many 300 dollar cams have you owned that have broken in a year or had stolen? Only ones 300 bucks commercially available are cell cams or Reconyx. Part of me thinks you might stretching the backstory a bit.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Pass on that cam. If you are trying to skimp, a few sellers have the Moultrie Trace on ebay for 60. That cam is a much better deal in every sense of the word and its still not that much.

How many 300 dollar cams have you owned that have broken in a year or had stolen? Only ones 300 bucks commercially available are cell cams or Reconyx. Part of me thinks you might stretching the backstory a bit.

One was a cuddy from 5 yrs ago the other a Reconyx that was on sale. And it was after a year all cuddy would do is knock off $50 on a new one. Cam price gave sure come down over the past few years but even at 150 200 I can't justify have them stolen or break.

I have the Spypoints,Moultries,Wild game,Coverts,Bushnell, Stealth.

Never again will I buy:

Stealth

Moultrie

Wildgame

The others are over 2 years old and still working well but out of those The Bushnell( I won here) is working the best, then the Coverts and the Spypoints

Edited by growalot

I have the Spypoints,Moultries,Wild game,Coverts,Bushnell, Stealth.

Never again will I buy:

Stealth

Moultrie

Wildgame

The others are over 2 years old and still working well but out of those The Bushnell( I won here) is working the best, then the Coverts and the Spypoints

I have Covert, Bushnell, Spypoint and Wildgame. I would never buy Coverts or Spypoint again. My Bushnell has been the best and its is like 4yrs old i think. Wildgames were given to me on the way to garbage and they do just fine.

I have had fun with them all but i think i am done spending money anymore

I feel the same ...no cash out of hand anymore..but will get more using the Ganderpoints.....I consider that all free...and this year I got a crazy amount of stuff..haven't counted it up but at least 500.00 worth of free stuff...It's the only way I can justify game cams.....considering their relative short life spans.

• Like 1

My wild game never made it past 4 mos of working...the sensor works but it won't snap a picture and for the life of me I couldn't get it to set up right..time/date was always off and it ate batteries...Glad I used Gander points for that one... :umbrage:

Edited by growalot

I have 3 Moultrie I-35 cameras and they have been holding up for over 4 years (knock on wood) .

Phade mentioned the Moultrie TRACE cameras . For $40 each , they are awesome . They come with a mounting bracket and strap , easy to program and you can set a code number that keeps anyone else from using the camera once it is shut off . 

I had Stealth cams and Primos cameras crap out on me as well as some Wild View cams . 

Ive had good luck with all of my cuddebacks. bushnells and brownings so far. i actually upgraded the firmware on 2 cuddebacks  that were not working properly, and about ready for the trash. they are now in the woods and work great again. bushnell browning and cuddeback are the only ones i buy for now.. until they let me down. Cuddeback and bushnell have decent customer service (both replacing "old" broken cameras with new ones for 50% off) 

I have Covert, Bushnell, Spypoint and Wildgame. I would never buy Coverts or Spypoint again. My Bushnell has been the best and its is like 4yrs old i think. Wildgames were given to me on the way to garbage and they do just fine.

I have had fun with them all but i think i am done spending money anymore

Why wouldnt you buy Coverts? Just curious.

I have some of them and love them. Their customer service is top notch, never had an issue with one that they didnt take care of right away.

I got a Primos workhorse for Christmas from my wife. I mentioned it when it was in Dicks Black Friday flyer for $29......I figured for that kind of money it sure can't hurt to try it.....I am with you, I just like getting pics.....I don't need 20 MP....I am not blowing these pics up and putting them in my living room....

I have 3 Moultrie I-35 cameras and they have been holding up for over 4 years (knock on wood) .

Phade mentioned the Moultrie TRACE cameras . For $40 each , they are awesome . They come with a mounting bracket and strap , easy to program and you can set a code number that keeps anyone else from using the camera once it is shut off .

I had Stealth cams and Primos cameras crap out on me as well as some Wild View cams .

Does this camera only come in grey? I did a google search and only could find that color. They look like they market this camera for theft protection more than hunting. Phades test pictures on other looked great though.

How do "upgrade the firmware"? Need to call the manufacturer? I've seen that mentioned a few times in different discussions on cameras.

As i was told, your camera should always have the latest firmware available. i would go on to their website and see if there is firmware update available for your camera. it should give you step by step instructions to install.. mine were very simple to update. 

I was surprised it brought 2 of my cameras back to working condition again, well they have been in the woods since november and no flaws yet.. 

Does this camera only come in grey? I did a google search and only could find that color. They look like they market this camera for theft protection more than hunting. Phades test pictures on other looked great though.

The gray actually blends better in the woods in a fair number of circumstances (not all). There are a lot of gray barked trees where camo cams stand out like sore thumbs.

• Like 1

I agree I have allot of beach on my property it would work great. I just find it interesting how it was marketed to consumers-more geared toward surveillance.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

That was a benefit to the hunters who bought them. Moultrie marketed them full-force for security as a new ancillary type market, but it fell flat. They made a large lot order of them and when sales fell flat from the gate, they had to clear them. I got them as low as $30 each shipped at one point.

I am currently running 3 Coverts and would not buy again. I noticed on all three they are missing pictures this year. Two are 3 year old cams that were not used pretty much first year since got for xmas. The first year in the woods I have no idea now if they were missing pics or not and this year I busted all three where I physically saw deer stand right in front of all three and later check cam and no pics. The 3rd was one that is a new replacement for one that stopped taking pics at night after one year and the company pretty much would not back up the product, got shipped a new one for a discounted price and paid extra to get the better model and they sent the old model and we gave up trying to deal with them and ate the loss.

Edited by Fletch

I have tried the customer service and did not get a response from left phone messages.

When the cameras work they are great, I love the pictures they produce. One camera is from 2013 and other is 2014. They only work when they want now.

Neither do not take any pictures at all but shows that they are on.

Edited by Paula