mike rossi

NYC Hunters are STILL not organized!

We have attempted to reach out to NYC hunters in an effort to not only organize them in the mourning dove initiative, and protect the State Pheasant Farm, but also to organize them in general.

There is absolutely no reason NYC hunters cannot develop a member list, maintain NYC-specific social media, a website, and their own e-newsletter, and a forum if they desire. They can also do what several hundred upstate organizations do, and have dozens of local  state assembly and senate members attend their meetings and discuss hunting-related matters.

NY Dove Hunting is willing to help NYC hunters create a website, social media, newsletter, and forum, as we did for New Jersey hunters regarding their initiative to legalize Sunday firearm hunting. However, we cannot administer the organization for you. This is where NJ is failing, at least for now. We cannot recruit, organize, and do what needs to be done at the local grassroots level. And, unfortunately, due to lobbying by state hunting organizations under the notion it is in the best interest of the hunter (privacy, etc), it is difficult for us to obtain a list of licensed hunters from the DEC.

There are probably between 50,000 and 70,000 licensed hunters in NYC, not including Long Island. NYC hunters will not be counted until they are organized separately from state and national hunting organizations. NY Dove Hunting has already been corresponding with downstate legislators, including those in NYC. They are not as smug some would lead you to believe. If you help us, together we can nail this.

Contact us through our website and lets get this going!

Maybe if there was actually a place for NYC folks to hunt dove, you might get more of a response.

Most hunters that I know who reside in the city are already struggling to learn the ropes for species they can easily access within reasonable distances, such as deer and squirrel.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Maybe if there was actually a place for NYC folks to hunt dove, you might get more of a response.

Most hunters that I know who reside in the city are already struggling to learn the ropes for species they can easily access within reasonable distances, such as deer and squirrel.

Once dove hunting is legalized then you'll find plenty of places to hunt them.  I assume there is no deer hunting in the city either?

:)

Once dove hunting is legalized then you'll find plenty of places to hunt them. I assume there is no deer hunting in the city either?

:)

What do you call Staten Island?

Most city folk drive within an hour and they are at their deer and squirrel spots. I'm not sure that's possible for dove. I wonder how many city folks would be willing to travel in excess of that to scout for doves. But regardless of the opportunities or lack thereof for doves, getting NYC Hunters to organize would seem challenging.

What do you call Staten Island?

Most city folk drive within an hour and they are at their deer and squirrel spots. I'm not sure that's possible for dove. I wonder how many city folks would be willing to travel in excess of that to scout for doves. But regardless of the opportunities or lack thereof for doves, getting NYC Hunters to organize would seem challenging.

I would say you will find mourning doves more readily than either deer or squirrel proximate to NYC. you just need to know what to look for.

This may not apply to you, or others on this site, but we have a theory that there are a number of people who live in NYC who presently do not hunt, and  do not want to deal with butchering a deer and all else inherent to deer hunting, that would be receptive to dove hunting. Particularly the Maltese-American population, as well as many Hispanics who carry a tradition of dove hunting, but not of hunting for deer or squirrel.

Strongly agree, however, that organizing NYC hunters will be a challenge, but it can be done.  This is the start.

I would say you will find mourning doves more readily than either deer or squirrel proximate to NYC. you just need to know what to look for.

This may not apply to you, or others on this site, but we have a theory that there are a number of people who live in NYC who presently do not hunt, and do not want to deal with butchering a deer and all else inherent to deer hunting, that would be receptive to dove hunting. Particularly the Maltese-American population, as well as many Hispanics who carry a tradition of dove hunting, but not of hunting for deer or squirrel.

Strongly agree, however, that organizing NYC hunters will be a challenge, but it can be done. This is the start.

If I were you, I'd solicit trap and skeet establishments and spread the word around gun clubs associated with anything wing shooting related to bring awareness to the untapped NYC population.

I have not seen any mourning doves in any areas near NYC that allows hunting. At least not in the areas I hunt (Orange, Westchester, Putnam). The only time I've seen mourning doves while out hunting was in NJ. I do see them in the city but of course I can't shoot them there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Elmo

If I were you, I'd solicit trap and skeet establishments and spread the word around gun clubs associated with anything wing shooting related to bring awareness to the untapped NYC population.

In discussing (this) topic, we need to keep separate and distinct hunter recruitment and organizing existing hunters. I agree that a portion of target shooters who do not currently hunt sometimes become hunters, and thus they are always potential recruits. However, my intent with this dialogue is to discuss organizing existing hunters.

Another thing I want to point out, is we need local people,in all regions of the state, to step up and do the soliciting. As I indicated, we already provided online and professional support to NJ sportsmen, but after we dropped the ball, they failed to pick it up. We are willing to assist NYC from the air, so to speak, but there is little else we can do. 

I have not seen any mourning doves in any areas near NYC that allows hunting. At least not in the areas I hunt (Orange, Westchester, Putnam). The only time I've seen mourning doves while out hunting was in NJ. I do see them in the city but of course I can't shoot them there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said to you in a private message, the importance of organization is farther reaching than dove hunting. The question of where are the doves is a repetitive refrain we have addressed elsewhere and doesn't really fit into this thread.(Besides hunters also claim there are no rabbits, no grouse, no woodcock, and even no deer. I have read numerous posts this fall about some hunters unable to locate squirrels too). 

Never the less, mourning doves are found, and are abundant, in every county in NY. Anywhere along the NYC area is a major migration corridor for many species, including mourning doves. The only section of NY mourning doves are absent are in the high peak regions of the Catskills and the Adirondacks. However, hunters should not expect the presence of doves to always be obvious, although sometimes it is. 

You also need to consider that many mourning doves are migratory. With migratory game birds, there is often a small window of opportunity when game abundance is at its peak. Doves, being seed eaters, will coordinate their migration with the sexual maturity of weeds and crop harvest. You need to know what you are doing. Some states run managed dove fields and some  family farms derive supplemental income from managing dove fields and charging hunters an access fee. In those situations, much of the task of finding doves is eliminated. But for the most part, hunters need to learn about the natural history and behavior of doves to be successful, just like in hunting all other game species. You also have to keep in mind, part of the the struggle is with the hunting culture in NY itself. The preference is for animals that are very visible - whitetail, wild turkey, squirrel, and  even coyotes because they make a lot of tracks and noise. To illustrate this, consider that grouse are far more abundant than wild turkey in NY, yet much fewer people hunt grouse relative to the number of turkey hunters in NY.   

Not sue how this post strayed so far. It started with an offer to start organizing NYC hunters. Surprisingly, and, disappointingly,  nobody responded.

I then was posting region-specific info, but in region 2 I decided to just add it to this post. Then, I start to get replies, not closely related to either the original post nor post number 2....

So I guess I will just give post number 2 another try, please follow the link and engage in this campaign related to the dove matter, thank you!

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/call-to-action.html

In discussing (this) topic, we need to keep separate and distinct hunter recruitment and organizing existing hunters. I agree that a portion of target shooters who do not currently hunt sometimes become hunters, and thus they are always potential recruits. However, my intent with this dialogue is to discuss organizing existing hunters.

Another thing I want to point out, is we need local people,in all regions of the state, to step up and do the soliciting. As I indicated, we already provided online and professional support to NJ sportsmen, but after we dropped the ball, they failed to pick it up. We are willing to assist NYC from the air, so to speak, but there is little else we can do. 

As I said to you in a private message, the importance of organization is farther reaching than dove hunting. The question of where are the doves is a repetitive refrain we have addressed elsewhere and doesn't really fit into this thread.(Besides hunters also claim there are no rabbits, no grouse, no woodcock, and even no deer. I have read numerous posts this fall about some hunters unable to locate squirrels too). 

Never the less, mourning doves are found, and are abundant, in every county in NY. Anywhere along the NYC area is a major migration corridor for many species, including mourning doves. The only section of NY mourning doves are absent are in the high peak regions of the Catskills and the Adirondacks. However, hunters should not expect the presence of doves to always be obvious, although sometimes it is. 

You also need to consider that many mourning doves are migratory. With migratory game birds, there is often a small window of opportunity when game abundance is at its peak. Doves, being seed eaters, will coordinate their migration with the sexual maturity of weeds and crop harvest. You need to know what you are doing. Some states run managed dove fields and some  family farms derive supplemental income from managing dove fields and charging hunters an access fee. In those situations, much of the task of finding doves is eliminated. But for the most part, hunters need to learn about the natural history and behavior of doves to be successful, just like in hunting all other game species. You also have to keep in mind, part of the the struggle is with the hunting culture in NY itself. The preference is for animals that are very visible - whitetail, wild turkey, squirrel, and  even coyotes because they make a lot of tracks and noise. To illustrate this, consider that grouse are far more abundant than wild turkey in NY, yet much fewer people hunt grouse relative to the number of turkey hunters in NY.   

Again this must show the different parts of the state. I sure am glad i dont have to rely on Grouse and Dove for my supper in my area but Turkeys are many, Far and Wide.

Ok, lets try it again.....

THESIS: Everybody who lives in NYC has a say-so about hunting policy EXCEPT people who live in NYC that buy hunting licenses.....

PROOF: If a NYC hunter goes into speak to his state assembly rep or his state senate rep about hunting matters, he will not likely get any satisfaction. In contrast, any other constituent who is opposed to hunting and/or requests their rep supports existing anti hunting legislation or sponsors a new anti hunting bill; he/she is likely to be accommodated.  

Now, Disprove the Thesis or Agree with it..... Comments? Opinions? 

So how can this be pass as a legitimate system? Because nobody ever thought of it this way? 

I am not going to develop the thesis, launch a poll, start a website, face book group, and forum dedicated to this  issue by myself, I want input. 

This is the one issue I would like to have the antis in on the discussion, and the politicians. I really want to see how they reconcile this.

By the way, there are only two members of the Assembly in NYC who are republicans, both are on Staten Island. Joe Borrelli District 62 and Nicole Malliokakis District 64.  And, of these two lone NYC republicans on the Assembly one of them is endorsed by the Humane Society of the United States. Read about it here:

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/the-new-york-state-legislature-up-close.html