Speaking of Encores....

At the gun show this weekend, Culver and I were talking about TC Encores and the legality of changing a pistol into a ML, rifle or shotgun or vice versa, so I figured Id just ask a dealer there, they would know for sure, as they sell them. I was told in the past that if it was a pistol originally, you could turn it into anything, but you could not go the other way. Since I thought the person that told me that was pretty reliable, and I couldnt find anything that said any different, I took it to be truth and passed my "knowledge" on, at least one time on this site. I have to say, I was wrong. You can interchange an Encore frame into anything, you just need a pistol permit to buy the pistol barrels. Makes more sense than what I was told before.

Just thought Id pass on what I learned.  :P

That is somewhat true.  NYS law says "a long gun can not be modifide into a handgun"  However If you buy it as a pistol you can turn into a rifle so long as the frame number do not get enetered into any system. The rifle would go under the barrel numbers.  The only way this would happen is if there was a "brush" with the law in with the weapon was logged in as a rifle with the frame and barrel together.  Kinda touchy.

Interesting....

I also shoot a switch barrel gun. These were at one time availible as a hand rifle format.

When consulting a Federally licensed arms manufacturer (not FFL or gunsmith).....I was told a rifle cannot be modified to assume a hand gun role; as the rifle reciever serial number is recorded as just that, and a shortning of a barrel would not be able to register as a new gun and be recorded properly.

I know I can't walk into my county gun permit office to register what is now a rifle to a hand gun as their is no origin of paperwork for the reciever. The only receipt is for a rifle serial number.

My rifle has both frame and barrel serials too....

In the US its the receiver; anywhere else in the world, the barrel.

In parts of Europe you can own as many barrels as you want; but you are limited for receivers; switch barrel guns are popular there to get around applying for multiple guns; which they are limited in owning.

That is somewhat true.  NYS law says "a long gun can not be modifide into a handgun"  However If you buy it as a pistol you can turn into a rifle so long as the frame number do not get enetered into any system. The rifle would go under the barrel numbers.  The only way this would happen is if there was a "brush" with the law in with the weapon was logged in as a rifle with the frame and barrel together.  Kinda touchy.

Theres nothing touchy about it, check with a dealer, they will tell you.

Interesting....

I also shoot a switch barrel gun. These were at one time availible as a hand rifle format.

When consulting a Federally licensed arms manufacturer (not FFL or gunsmith).....I was told a rifle cannot be modified to assume a hand gun role; as the rifle reciever serial number is recorded as just that, and a shortning of a barrel would not be able to register as a new gun and be recorded properly.

I know I can't walk into my county gun permit office to register what is now a rifle to a hand gun as their is no origin of paperwork for the reciever. The only receipt is for a rifle serial number.

When you buy an Encore barrel, you need to have a pistol permit to buy a pistol barrel. The serial for the Encore is put on your permit multiple times, listed with each caliber barrel you have for it. If you buy it as say a ML, when you buy that pistol barrel, he said you take the frame in and have it registered with the barrel.

Yes this is correct.  But, if at any time the encore frame serial numbers become entered into a system as a rifle!!! Legaly it is now a rifle and can not be modified into a handgun.  I am going through the parts collection myself right now.

Where did you get that info? The dealer we spoke with clearly said a registered rifle could have the numbers put on a permit with the barrel caliber listed. ML too

NYS Penal Code Fire arms section. I will look up the article and section number when I get home.  Also I confermed with Jefferson county pistol permit office ( Marsha Barton )  How I came about this info was originally I had plans to make a custom single shot pistol.  So now I am buying the encore as a some what way around it.  As long as you keep your nose clean there should be no issues.

Yes this is correct.  But, if at any time the encore frame serial numbers become entered into a system as a rifle!!! Legaly it is now a rifle and can not be modified into a handgun.  I am going through the parts collection myself right now.

The dealer said that there is an extra form or entry on the form (cant remember which) that has to be filled out on every Encore sold because it can be converted.

Just going off of what a registered dealer told me, if its not correct, Id like to see the regulation that covers it.