Anyone tried these Stands?

My best climbing days are behind me (legs) so ladder stands work for me. In addition, I find myself putting these stands in by myself 90% of the time. Securing the top "good enough" to climb and really fasten it in with the ratching strap is my most anxious moment. If those jaws clamp on enough to make me more confident then that's great. PS: Yes .... I some time take chances .... my bad.

• Like 1

..... In addition, I find myself putting these stands in by myself 90% of the time. Securing the top "good enough" to climb and really fasten it in with the ratching strap is my most anxious moment. If those jaws clamp on enough to make me more confident then that's great. PS: Yes .... I some time take chances .... my bad.

Slightly off topic but...

A lashing rope will remove a lot of this anxiety and I'm not referring to those cheapo 1/4" ropes supplied, similar to all the other crappy hardware included with ladder stands. Do yourself a favor before erecting the stand and buy a thicker rope. Depending on ladder stand's height, usually takes 2X - 20-25' lengths of rope. Tie one end to top of ladder section, just below the platform on each side. Using your normal procedure, after you get the ladder stand up against the tree, rotated slightly if needed and get platform to appear to be as level as possible.,,run those ropes tightly around the tree and back to vert ladder sections near ~2nd rung of the ladder (on each side) and cinch it. Before doing this I'm hoping you've put flat rocks or a section of ~10"w/24"l PT plank under the base of the ladder. Or at least put all your weight onto the 1st rung and driven the ladder into the ground somewhat. I've also found that temporarily installing the horiz brace & attaching it with a ratchet around the tree. Criss-crossed back to each side of the ladder at ~5-6' high takes some more of the freestanding instability away. At times I've also gone up for the 1st time after doing all the above with a long ratchet strap run around the tree and each end in my hands. Cautiously going up the ladder as far as your nerves (or branches) will allow and then temporarily attach to ladder, again criss-crossing straps between the tree and vertical ladder sections. I usually make it to just below the platform when doing this. Trust me, I've venture up many ladder stands w/o any of the above precautions and it can be...nerve wracking to say the least!!! Prefer to not put my heart thru this adrenaline filled experience, so I take the time & added expense to do it in a safer manner.

• Like 2

You got it nyslowhand . I put up stands alone myself and that is pretty much how I do it . I make sure the ladder brace is attached also so the ladder doesn't bow when climbing up to secure the seat platform . It's a bit scarey to climb up without using the lashing ropes so I don't do that anymore as it is really an unsafe practice . 

My best climbing days are behind me (legs) so ladder stands work for me. In addition, I find myself putting these stands in by myself 90% of the time. Securing the top "good enough" to climb and really fasten it in with the ratching strap is my most anxious moment. If those jaws clamp on enough to make me more confident then that's great. PS: Yes .... I some time take chances .... my bad.

A lot of thought went into this design, I'm impressed.

The stand arrived today. First impression is the quality of the materials looks good so we'll see how it goes together.  The concept is somewhat interesting with the two sets of jaws that go onto the tree, plus the set up for securing it to the tree so you can go up to put the upper strap in place ..... maybe with confidence. Looking forward to setting it up.

post-3655-0-85905500-1451942929_thumb.jp

Edited by peepsight

The stand arrived today. First impression is the quality of the materials looks good so we'll see how it goes together.  The concept is somewhat interesting with the two sets of jaws that go onto the tree, plus the set up for securing it to the tree so you can go up to put the upper strap in place ..... maybe with confidence. Looking forward to setting it up.

At 1st glance I thought the jaws were what secured the stand to the tree. After watching the video I was pleased to see that the jaws are only to stabilize the stand so one can climb up to secure it with a ratchet strap.

I might consider one of these to replace some of the stands that I have that are hard to get into once one reaches the platform.

I don't like the way the jaws are tightened by racheting the cables to the bottom section of the ladder . The way the support bar is attached looks suspect . Let us know how well it works for you . 

https://x-stand.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ONYX_Manual.pdf

The video shows exactly how it works.

Actually the jaws do secure it to the tree. In the picture I included you can see the criss-crossed cables that come down from the top of the stand which are attached to the y-shaped ratchet strap. That is attached to the bottom of the ladder. By cinching that strap down it tightens the upper jaw enough to the tree so you can climb up and attach the final ratcheting strap that will hold the upper portion of the stand in the same fashion as any ladder stand. 

Actually the jaws do secure it to the tree. In the picture I included you can see the criss-crossed cables that come down from the top of the stand which are attached to the y-shaped ratchet strap. That is attached to the bottom of the ladder. By cinching that strap down it tightens the upper jaw enough to the tree so you can climb up and attach the final ratcheting strap that will hold the upper portion of the stand in the same fashion as any ladder stand. 

Agreed it secures it to the tree enough to apply the ratchet strap, I wouldn't want to use the stand for any length of time W/O the ratchet strap secured at the top, would you?

Edited by wildcat junkie

I like the "Jayhawk". I have a 5 year old grand son that will be big enough to sit with me in a few years.

I like the bark biters. I leave stands in pace for years if they produce. A tight ratchet strap can effectively "girdle" a tree & kill it over time. One could loosen the straps & the bark biters would keep the stands secure enough for the off season.