First Waterfowl Hunt (Canadas)

Jennifer

The kind folks from CRCS Outdoors (Cuba Rushford) took me out on a waterfowl hunt yesterday. It's always been my dream to find someone to help me learn how to waterfowl hunt, as I find it very different than any deer, turkey, or squirrel hunting I've done all my life. It's also something I was afraid I could never do, since I can't have a dog and our car is not good for carrying a boat. After I won the Duck Stamp, CRCS did an interview with me and asked me along on a waterfowl hunt locally with Southern Tier Outfitters, we thought it would be neat for me to hunt waterfowl for the first time while using the stamp I painted! I felt very honored. We were finally able to get out yesterday during the second season in Allegany. The outfitters said that this area has been tough due to the unseasonably warm weather we've had and they've been able to get very few ducks to come in at all. We were in a large blind (these guys even have a mini kitchen) and were well concealed. We had a few mallards scope us out and circle out of range, and one pair of common mergansers fly high without even giving the wetland a second look. Around 11, I believe, we saw some geese far off along the Allegany River, and the guides called them in to us. I took one as they came in, but my 870 wouldn't cycle the rounds and jammed as I ejected the first shell. Stupid of me not to check beforehand, but lesson learned. Turns out the bird I shot was banded, and the group lit up with excitement. We were being filmed for the CRCS show and they urged me to call the band in on camera. I did, and as soon as I got through on the band reporting hotline and got to giving them my info, a pair of mallards came in, of course! I got low and tried to finish the call quietly and quickly. By the time I got off the call the mallards were still around but had moved out of range. I was embarrassed that they waited for me instead of taking them, but I appreciated the gesture, it was really kind. 

Anyhow, it was amazing and I feel super honored to have been invited and enjoyed it very much. I'm very thankful to CRCS, Scott Jordan, and thank you very much to Craig Southard and Patrick Stayer of Southern Tier Outfitters!

I can only claim the top goose, but am so thankful for even one!

1888448_956512234439843_6508028107937847

They have more photos on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/391324224291983/photos/pcb.956512284439838/956512234439843/?type=3&theater

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

welcome to the great sport of waterfowl hunting!

congrats on your 1st goose and banded at that!