Carrying a Crossbow afield

peepsight

I looked but didn't see anything on this subject so if there is a thread please direct me to it. I'm interested in how others carry their crossbow when hunting or just to and from the stand, etc. Does anybody else find it a pain in the #$@s to carry? Would like to hear any solutions too.

Thanks!

I have a sling too, Growie. The limbs on mine are so wide tho, that it's a real pain (I shoot an Excal, with the recurve style limbs). Especially in the dark. There've been a couple times I've been clotheslined by my sling, as the limbs catch on 2 trees I just went between. If my hands are free, I'll sometimes cradle the bow in my arms, just like a rifle.

I have a mission 400 which I picked over the ten point because of the light weight. I didn't use a sling this year but will next. It was a pain in the butt. I've been a UPS driver for 19yrs so it's not like I'm not used to handling stuff but it was the most combersome weapon I've eve had in the field.

• Like 1

Sling on mine too. My Barnett Raptor is short and light. But still a bit awkward to carry while still hunting or a spot and stalk. But on a sling, just going to a stand, not bad at all.

When I first started carrying it two years ago, it seemed way more awkward. But as I carry it more and more, ya kinda get used to it.

Remember that if you know how to use a sling as a "rest" if you bump anything on the way in you have a very quick and solid/steady shooting support with your sling.

That is very true, but it is very seldom where I bump something and still be able to get a shot with archery equipment.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Edited by CFHunter

Perhaps bump was the wrong word...spot...though I have bumped deer here...they will run a matter of yards..Two bounds then top to listen and look it's the way I set the land up....Yesterday while Angel(my shepherd) and I took our walk, we were able to stalk 2 doe in an "open" feild to within 30 yrds...I actually have a trail cam picture of the deer stopping and looking straight at us.....BTW Angel like all my shepherds is very well trained. ...I viewed but didn't pull the card yet,may today. So  the sling is useful if you spot nearby deer on the way in ;)

Edited by growalot

As growalot stated earlier in the thread it's a bit different from what your used to with your bow as the limbs hangout and catch on things when carrying it on your back .... just something to aware of. I've gotten hung up in the dark a couple times.

• Like 1

I just got a decent fanny pack with shoulder straps a year ago and I guess I'm still trying to make that work ..... we'll see. I have a couple slings I haven't had much a chance to try yet that may hold it high enough across my back to clear the pack. Fingers crossed!

Like an idiot, I tried to carry my Xbow to/from my stands like a gun the 1st year. Super bulky, heavy & cumbersome!!! I now use a Quake Claw sling and love it!!! Of course your Xbow must have the gun type quick detach mounts available. There are probably lots of other great slings available.

Like everyone else mentioned, there is a certain mind-set or technique to carrying a Xbow slung over the shoulder that you have to adapt when walking thru the woods, thicket, etc. Once I get s/u in the stand, always check for any twigs, leaves, etc I might have unknowingly snagged on my walk to the stand, esp near the area of the cams. Also if you happen to use mechanical BHs, make sure they are still snug in their relaxed position!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use a (double shoulder) sling and just carry my treestand with my hand. Found this to be easier than the other way around. Also with the double shoulder sling, because the fore grip on my Stryker crossbow made it tilt back and forth (banging on each shoulder), I put a piece of dense foam rubber about 12" long to make a "T" across my fore grip. This keeps the crossbow more stable on my back. I use this set-up when I'm hiking in to hang a stand and hunt from it same day. Any way you do it, carrying a crossbow is a pain in the %*ss!

post-7554-0-17812200-1455036871_thumb.jp