New York Outdoor News 12-25-15 Edition

fasteddie

Karl Gundel from Tivoli wrote to the NYOD  knocking Bow Hunters as being selfish , blah , blah blah . He pretty much grouped all bow hunters as being selfish and wanting the woods to themselves . 

This guy stated that rifle , muzzleloader and cross-bow hunters need to form an alliance against bowhunters !  Nothing like wanting to divide the hunting community !  I hunt bow , gun and ML and take offense to this dip-wads letter !

• Like 3

There are some bow hunters that feel the way the writer stated but to include all is BS . Plus the jerk wants to divide the hunting community by alienating bowhunters with the cross-bow , Ml and gun hunters . The guy has to be too stupid to not know that many of us hunt with 2 , 3 or all of the implements ! 

• Like 5

This guy is not alone in his opinions. In fact I occasionally pick up on some of that attitude right here on this forum. It has been going on for quite a while ever since bowhunter success rates have crept upwards. A few published pictures of some dandy wall hangers has suddenly woke up a lot of gun hunters as to the fact that bow hunters do actually harvest deer and sometimes some pretty nice ones. For years, we were not taken very seriously, and so everybody just shrugged their shoulders when additional weeks were added to the bow season. There was a whole lot of "who cares" when we picked up more and more goodies as far as seasons and bag limits.

This guy is a jerk, but he is really just putting into public words, the thoughts that more and more gunhunter-only people are thinking. It is occurring to more and more of them that we are not out there with just recurves and longbows any more. Ha-ha.. apparently the DEC is even beginning to buy into some of this attitude as they now think that bowhunters can handle the entire population control in some WMUs ... lol.

• Like 2

Actually I think it is the efforts to keep bow hunting pristine and not allow anyone else in their woods during bow. There have been organizations that work hard for the bow hunters That causes a lot of animosity among some who do feel there is strength in numbers. The bow hunter groups have done their part to keep bow hunters separate and privileged in NY. To now be upset someone wants equal billing. Now suddenly we all need to hold hands is foolish. If you want to make a road trip to my place, come on over. The beer will be cold

Actually I think it is the efforts to keep bow hunting pristine and not allow anyone else in their woods during bow. There have been organizations that work hard for the bow hunters That causes a lot of animosity among some who do feel there is strength in numbers. The bow hunter groups have done their part to keep bow hunters separate and privileged in NY. To now be upset someone wants equal billing. Now suddenly we all need to hold hands is foolish. If you want to make a road trip to my place, come on over. The beer will be cold

^^^No matter how many times I reread this I'm still not really understanding what you're trying to get at with that ^^

• Like 1

^^^No matter how many times I reread this I'm still not really understanding what you're trying to get at with that ^^

I believe Bubba is referring to "NY Bowhunters Association" . That is a group / organization that fought to keep Crossbows out of hunting and felt that only long bows , recurves and compounds should be allowed to hunt with . And then it was a matter of not wanting the Youth Hunt during the Bow Season . I don't belong the the NY Bowhunters Assoc as I don't agree with all of their thinking . 

( note : I am guessing that where Bubba is coming from )

I believe Bubba is referring to "NY Bowhunters Association" . That is a group / organization that fought to keep Crossbows out of hunting and felt that only long bows , recurves and compounds should be allowed to hunt with . And then it was a matter of not wanting the Youth Hunt during the Bow Season . I don't belong the the NY Bowhunters Assoc as I don't agree with all of their thinking . 

( note : I am guessing that where Bubba is coming from )

I'm pretty sure you're right that Bubba was referring to NYBA... and because of NYBA I agree with what Bubba said... I'm not willing to go as far as saying all bow hunters are selfish and would like to have the hunting season all to themselves... but I will say that my experiences with the NYBA as a past member and business associate left a sour taste for the organization and If you were someone that looked at them as representing all NY bow hunters, your taste would be sour for bow hunters in general. But they are only 2000 of 200,000 bow hunters in NY... and being a bow hunter myself I know that there are no more "selfish" bow hunters than there are gun hunters... no group has exclusive claim on that title.

• Like 2

Yes the NYB bashing does make a good rallying cry for a few gun hunters who simply are envious of the fact that through effective organization and lobbying, the bowhunters today enjoy prime season times, durations, and bag limits. Yes, that is what it is all about. Just straight-up "envy". And now that bowhunters are beginning to enjoy success, all of their advances have brought some attention to themselves. And the envy grows until now you have open warfare from a handful of these guys who jealously look at what bowhunters have accomplished over the years. Yes, I have heard and read all the bitter comments about how the bowhunters are killing off all the good bucks before gun season even opens, and how the bowhunters are getting all the advantages of the rut, and all the other endless nonsense that really is just lashing out at all the benefits that bowhunters have worked long and hard to accomplish.

• Like 2

Whenever there is a conversation that poses the idea that gun hunters may be against bowhunters or envious of bowhunters, or whatever, I almost start to forget that almost all bow hunters ARE gun hunters.  And most serious gun hunters are also bowhunters.  I've always thought of it like this: If you are a gun hunter that loves being in the woods and hunting, you naturally pick up a bow, learn how to shoot and get your butt out there. Its the hunting and the opportunity to hunt that you love, not whether you are squeezing a trigger or a release.

Outside of physically imparied, I don;t understand why a gun hunter who loves to hunt would not get into bowhunting.  For people who dont love to hunt quite as much, maybe the work required in bow hunting, is a turn off. That is fine. But to complain?

I don't look at hunting as something that is owed to me.  In my, maybe overly naive mind, I still view it as a priviledge. If the DEC wants to give me a long gun season, thank you; a nice early and long bow season to get out and enjoy the woods, thanks again.

• Like 1

Whenever there is a conversation that poses the idea that gun hunters may be against bowhunters or envious of bowhunters, or whatever, I almost start to forget that almost all bow hunters ARE gun hunters.  And most serious gun hunters are also bowhunters.  I've always thought of it like this: If you are a gun hunter that loves being in the woods and hunting, you naturally pick up a bow, learn how to shoot and get your butt out there. Its the hunting and the opportunity to hunt that you love, not whether you are squeezing a trigger or a release.

I don't think you will find the anti-bowhunter comments coming from those that are real "gun and bow" hunters. Some may own a bow, but that doesn't mean they really use it or even know how to use it .... ha-ha.

But I think you will find that the number of big-game licenses sold far outnumber the bow licenses sold. So there should not be any assumption that all deer hunters are dual-season hunters or even close to that.

Understood doc. In fact my own rifle season hunting crew Bears that out. Out of the 6 of us, only 2 Bowhunt.

I guess I don't see why someone who only rifle hunts would complain about bowhunters or bowhunting seasons rather than hunt with a bow.

I'm sure some folks may have their individual reasons. I am generalizing.