New York Outdoor News 12-25-15 Edition

fasteddie

I'm not a member of the NYBA but am against the youth season in its current stature and crossbows for general use. I have two kids w lifetime licenses as well.

Gun hunters rule the NY deer show. Many others, like this genius, think bow hunters simply have it best because we get first crack. They're right! The issue is their lack of effort, skill, precision and overall being is why every deer runs for the hills. Gut dragging fawns after 5 shot volleys are not sportsmanship- they're actions of immoral slobs. I'm not arrogant by design but cringe anytime I go out during gun. Even on the family farm we deal w trespassers, spot lighters, wounded run always or people eyeing up our place to sneak on. NY is worse than any state I've hunted for this gun phenomenon.

As someone who enjoys the woods, nature and the true sport of hunting I feel gun hunters are the fat kid that's always around when you play football simply because his parents own a huge yard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not a member of the NYBA but am against the youth season in its current stature and crossbows for general use. I have two kids w lifetime licenses as well.

Gun hunters rule the NY deer show. Many others, like this genius, think bow hunters simply have it best because we get first crack. They're right! The issue is their lack of effort, skill, precision and overall being is why every deer runs for the hills. Gut dragging fawns after 5 shot volleys are not sportsmanship- they're actions of immoral slobs. I'm not arrogant by design but cringe anytime I go out during gun. Even on the family farm we deal w trespassers, spot lighters, wounded run always or people eyeing up our place to sneak on. NY is worse than any state I've hunted for this gun phenomenon.

As someone who enjoys the woods, nature and the true sport of hunting I feel gun hunters are the fat kid that's always around when you play football simply because his parents own a huge yard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why the man had his opinion right here. Generalizations of all gun hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 16. ga hunter
  • Like 1

Years ago, when I only gun hunted, I realized that my friends, who bow hunted, got to start deer hunting earlier  and were having a lot of success. Instead of crying about not being able to gun hunt at the same time they got to bow hunt, I started bow hunting.

Screwy idea…I know..

• Like 1

I think that gun hunter who also bow hunt. May have more opportunity to hunt than other hunters.

They may live in an area that is inhabited by deer. Where some hunters live far from their hunting area and have only limited time to hunt. Say only one or two weekends a year. Some bow hunters may own their own land or belong to a hunting club giving them more access to hunt. So just the economics of the situation dictates that more hunters with limited time and access will be gun hunters. Unless you are retired then you can do what ever you want lucky for me that is my situation.

They absolutely could.

Yup that has always been my argument.  The guy is a teabag going on and on about bowhunters getting oct 1st opener and gun hunters get nothing.  Pick up a bow dude.  I do not even care about the oct 1st opener if it is gonna make them cry.

Ok, we don't stop these idiots who cry about bowhunters by taking wide swings at all gun hunters either. While I think the anti bowhunter thing may be growing (That's just an impression I get from listening and reading opinion based media), that doesn't mean that it is a good idea to escalate the conflict by returning fire. In fact, I participate in both seasons, so to start badmouthing gunners as a total general group, I wind up taking a personal hit too.

These past few comments and slams of gun hunters being illegal etc, just shows the elite attitude bowhunters have. This is why letters show up in nyodn.

That's exactly the attitude I just got done talking about in my last reply. You read two comments and instantly apply it to all bowhunters. This kind of nonsense has got to stop on both sides.

I started to bow hunt because I wanted more time in the woods. 

I was one of only two people who had permission to hunt a beautiful old farm on the Ontario / Yates County line that was owned by a family of gun hunters. The owner gave me permission to bow hunt because I was the guy that would mow the fields so we could see.  I was the person who checked every single tree stand (25 of them) for safety and would repair. The owner basically said, "you can do what you want, have a ball". 

Then, a few of the younger guys picked up bows (in the family, but extended, cousins, nephews, etc.) and we had some decent success.  One year, in a span of 5 hours 3 mature bucks and 2 doe were taken by 5 bow hunters.  Opening day of gun was miserable, snowing, blowing, and not much moving around and the conversation that night was that, "the bow hunters killed them all."  I looked around the table and asked everyone how many deer they saw that day, some saw none, some saw a lot. I saw 17 but knew better... 

So, the owner told everyone there, bow hunters get one deer, choose wisely. 

Next year when I went down to work the guy said to me, "you do what you want, none of these guys ever show up unless it's to hunt." 

Bow season went slow that year, warm and not much going on until the week before the opener when it got cold and snowy. Since I was in a 5 acre patch of oaks deer were everywhere as day light approached. A nice buck was literally munching on acorns right behind me but I could not move because of deer in front of me. When he finally moved, just off to the left of me at about 5 yards I drew and shot, literally within seconds of legal shooting (yeah, it may have been a minute before or after). I knew it was a great hit so I walked away from where the deer went and towards the cabin. 

When I got there the owner asked if I was OK, what you forget? Do you need the bathroom, lol?

I said, nope, just waiting to go get the buck I got. He laughed and said, lets have breakfast and I'll help you. 

Then he said, "this one is just between us, I appreciate all you do here." 

He died this year and was like the big brother I never had. We lost that farm in 2010. I miss him and the crew we hunted with big time. These guys were my friends and did not get it and that was the morale of my story 

Edited by upstate
  • Like 3

Generalization of both sides is why this feud never ends, i'd like to get into bow hunting but don't have money, time or property to do so, with the short mount of time and the cost of my 250$ Mossberg i found it convenient to hunt with a gun, wish nothing more than happy hunting to all hunters alike.

Edited by Mossberg500Guy
  • Like 1

Karl Gundel from Tivoli wrote to the NYOD  knocking Bow Hunters as being selfish , blah , blah blah . He pretty much grouped all bow hunters as being selfish and wanting the woods to themselves . 

This guy stated that rifle , muzzleloader and cross-bow hunters need to form an alliance against bowhunters !  Nothing like wanting to divide the hunting community !  I hunt bow , gun and ML and take offense to this dip-wads letter !

I didn't read the letter, or see the publication. But, hunting is already divided in NY. Has been for a long time.

Seasons, well the NZ gun season gives about three weeks extra woods time if you have access. 

As for this thing with gun hunters "Spraying & Praying", "Vollying 5 rounds at deer", and "most gun hunters break the law"? That's BS and most know it. Any gun hunter on this site made a post boldly claiming they broke a law and were proud of it? I remember a bow hunter doing that. Most of us who post about gun hunting here spend time shooting, sighting, patterning, and making sure we know where our shots are and what range. We also try a ton of different ammo both rifle and shotgun to see what shoots best.

Who care's?

Just hunt! Grab your weapon of choice, and hunt! 

That's exactly the attitude I just got done talking about in my last reply. You read two comments and instantly apply it to all bowhunters. This kind of nonsense has got to stop on both sides.

. I never said all. I said that is how people see it.

The answer just bow hunt. News flash not everyone can. And the minute crossbow or a bow that stays drawn be used, everyone goes off about their traditional compounds. There is no win. If you want to see how it works, in the NZ we start on9/27 with a bow. The same time the bird hunters start. Our rifle season starts 3rd week of October. The week before regular season starts, we have a week of early muzzleloading is in place. Everyone shares the woods and no one whines. It is not a bow or gun thing, it is a mentality setting by region. My biggest point all the time I have been on here is the difference betwen attitudes between the NZ and SZ and the sense of entitlement. SZ gets a lot more bow season than I do. I survive.

And I constantly get ridiculed along with many other things. I see posts about people ruining hubnts by walking in the woods on state land. Somebody sits on a boundary of property. If I wqsxso unhappy hunting, I would quit

Why do some people choose sides? I have no problem with gun/ML or bow/cross bow hunters.

Some may choose not to bow hunt because of time off, work or Family or all three. Or the WIFE.

Lucky are those who can get away to bow hunt that's my feeling.

bubba-

I'm a bow hunter with a disability that severely restricts how I can bow hunt. My lumbar spine is a mess, bad genetics and a 20 foot fall has me having issues drawing and holding, even high let off % compounds and while I go out my confidence is shot past 20 yards. I wait for crossbow. 

I also live right on the border of the NZ and SZ so my season starts on 9/27 with gun about a month later. In my over 30 years of hunting I've gotten one doe with a bow in September and a few deer during early muzzle up north. 

The difference between northern and southern is great. You assessment regarding entitlement is a bit off as I see things as generational. There's always been asshole hunters and with the way things have changed in just one generation (access, participation, television hunting shows, stands, gear) we need to change the way we hunt in order to be successful. 

With that all said bow hunting deer and gun hunting should not be done at the same time. Sorry but if you want the extra time, invest the time and resources to use the legal implements. I for one, don't want to hear about being excluded, or having a disability as an issue. Let's follow the rules we have and understand that bow hunting and gun hunting are very different and deserve their own season. 

• Like 4

Why do some people choose sides? I have no problem with gun/ML or bow/cross bow hunters.

Some may choose not to bow hunt because of time off, work or Family or all three. Or the WIFE.

Lucky are those who can get away to bow hunt that's my feeling.

Dave- You are absolutely right. There are a lot of reasons that people don't want to bow hunt or should not bowhunt. It is a demanding way to hunt, and was intended to be. Not everybody wants to, or can devote time to learning the discipline of mastering a bow. Some people hurt when they undergo the stress of archery muscle manipulation. Some just plain don't get any kick out of doing it or understand the unique appeal. And there is no reason for them to feel pressured into bow hunting. On the other hand, there is no reason that they should feel entitled to cram their way into bow seasons with their own choices of weapons and rules just because using a bow is inconvenient for them. The two seasons were split apart for obvious reasons because of the different conditions required for each style of hunting. So we all participate in whichever seasons that are suited to our personal and physical abilities, interests, and situations and mindsets. It all seems reasonable to me. Why that can't be accepted by all hunters, is a mystery to me, but I guess some want it all.

• Like 2