New York Outdoor News 12-25-15 Edition

fasteddie

Prove you wrong how? What do you want to know? I hunt with a single shot 20 ga. Slug gun. Take only shots I'm comfortable with. No five shot volleys with guts hanging out. To say all gun hunters are lazy is pure stupidity. You actually have no idea what other sportsman do. I have no issue with what bow hunters do until some guy is yelling at me for working my dog during "deer" season on public land. Not sure exactly what you want me to prove though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 16. ga hunter

I don't hunt big game on state land, or often hunt state land, because of all the (small and big game both) gun Hunter issues and concerns experienced..... So you and your dog did not upset me.

Kudos on the single shot and being a Hunter with a responsible description posted... A bunch of Bowhunter suck too (showing fairness through posting) but it just seems our majorities are inverse in such regard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To further make my point, and ruffle feathers, it seems the cranky gun toters are in the latter years of their participation. They want it their way, feel entitled and quote the good old days. The days gone by were of mismanagement, no management and further ill repute. Just because you have more free time, doesn't mean you haven't already had your time to pass every doe, kill every buck, use lead shot and catch every blue pike there was.

Both of my posts - all fights aside- would be better summarized by saying- gun hunters typically are not conservationists, as ethical as bow hunters or a tune to the animals they pursue.

• Like 1

"Gun hunters typically are not conservationists , as ethical as bow hunters or a tune to the animals they pursue".  WOW.....talk about paint with a broad brush !

Yeah, I don't like to hear that crap from either side of the fence.

Why couldn't they just choose archery hunting vs gun?

Whether you choose gun or bow economics are always a factor for some hunters. Especially if you live on Long Island and have to travel up state. You can expect to pay around $100 round trip for gas and tolls. While some hunters have no tolls and don't have to travel very far from home to hunt. Then there is lodging you have to pay if you don't have a place to stay, so it's not cheap. So the choice is how many trips are you going to make every bow or gun season? This may be a factor in whether you bow or gun hunt.

To further make my point, and ruffle feathers, it seems the cranky gun toters are in the latter years of their participation. They want it their way, feel entitled and quote the good old days. The days gone by were of mismanagement, no management and further ill repute. Just because you have more free time, doesn't mean you haven't already had your time to pass every doe, kill every buck, use lead shot and catch every blue pike there was.

Both of my posts - all fights aside- would be better summarized by saying- gun hunters typically are not conservationists, as ethical as bow hunters or a tune to the animals they pursue.

I think I understand now where Karl Gundel got the idea for his article... did he interview you? :huh:

• Like 2

Whether you choose gun or bow economics are always a factor for some hunters. Especially if you live on Long Island and have to travel up state. You can expect to pay around $100 round trip for gas and tolls. While some hunters have no tolls and don't have to travel very far from home to hunt. Then there is lodging you have to pay if you don't have a place to stay, so it's not cheap. So the choice is how many trips are you going to make every bow or gun season? This may be a factor in whether you bow or gun hunt.

All of the costs you just listed would be the same regardless of what  instrument was used.

I don't hunt big game on state land, or often hunt state land, because of all the (small and big game both) gun Hunter issues and concerns experienced..... So you and your dog did not upset me.

Kudos on the single shot and being a Hunter with a responsible description posted... A bunch of Bowhunter suck too (showing fairness through posting) but it just seems our majorities are inverse in such regard.

Actually the majority of shooting incidents are on private property and the parties know each other

Not many issues with bow hunter interaction. For the most part I do my best not to disturb bow hunters while pursuing Ruffed Grouse. However occasionally o run into the guy that is very far away from where he had parked. Usually when I notice them I give a wave and head in a different direction. And he pleasantly waves back. Sometimes there is a confrontation. And one time I bumped a doe right to a bow hunter in a field he had a nice 10 yard shot and told me how well mannered my cocker is and that he hoped I had a good day afield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk