How often do you shoot?

Buckmaster7600

I have the luxury of being able to shoot in my backyard and in my basement so I shoot my Bow daily and rifles and pistols a few times a week. I can shoot out the to 600yds in my back yard and have a set up where we can shoot rifles at movers out to about 150 yds. So I would imagine I shoot way more than the average hunter.

Yesterday I was hanging out at my LGS and I couldn't belive how busy he was and he was telling me how busy his last 3 weeks have been and I always thought that gun shops were busiest right before season. He explained that the weeks before gun seasons were busy but that most hunters have their rifle and need maybe a box of bullets for the year and then they are good. I guess I just never thought about it but it makes a lot of sense.

My question is how often do you guys shoot with your hunting guns?

Edited by Buckmaster7600
  • Like 1

I used to shoot all the time but ammo prices and availability of 22 where we could shoot 1000s of rounds has slowed us down aways....still love to shoot trap with my 12 g as walmart always has the 100 packs cheap

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Oh how I miss being able to get a 500 brick of lightnings for under 10$. Thank god I was smart enough to buy thousands and thousands of them back then.

• Like 2

I don't shoot often enough and I'm sad to say that.  The CF rifles get the most seat time and thats probably 12+ trips a year to the club I belong to, Niagara County Sportsmans.  I also shoot those same rifles at my friends place in the Finger Lakes a bunch times each year.  There I'm usually banging steel plates...............

.22's rarely get any lovin' any more, sadly.  Handguns see occasional range time when I can at local ranges.

Archery gets a fair amount but also NOT enough.

My life needs some changes............................................... :)

With guns, the run on .22 rimfire ammo put a damper on my own practice time for a while. Now it is back up to an all-time high, since I bought BB-guns for our two pre-teen daughters two years ago.   With those two $30 outfits (scoped Crossman 760 and an open-sighted Daisy red-ryder) ammo is basically free.   Each will put a BB thru one side of a beer can, so you can pour it out and re-use it multiple times.  I shoot quite often, year round, probably averaging 50 shots per week or so.      

I am also blessed with a 500 yard range out back but, for the most part, I just check the zero on my deer rifle, slug-guns, and ML a time or two in the late summer or early fall.   I use more "real" ammo on game than practice these days, including .22 rimfire. The only time I shoot my chuck rifle (22/250) at a paper target is when I buy a new 20 round box of ammo every other year or so to check the zero.

With bows, I skipped hunting and practice with my vertical compound bow the last couple seasons after NY legalized the x-bow.  I only fired enough practice bolts with my x-bow to verify the zero at various ranges because the bb-gun practice was also applicable for that weapon, even matching the trajectory fairly close.   If I don't hear that the x-bow will get "full-inclusion" by April 1 or so, I will probably start practicing again with my compound, to get back in on them first 3 weeks of deer season.  I was unable to fill my archery tag in those two weeks this year because the local deer had gone mostly nocturnal by then.        

I try to minimize the cost of wild game, after subtracting all input costs including licences, fuel, equipment and ammo.   The BB-gun practice goes a long way towards making that happen, by maintaining proper shooting form for negligible cost.   While most folks spend lots of money on hunting, I often manage to save a little by doing it.  That makes my wife much more supportive of that hobby.  I am also extremely fortunate that her and the kids love venison and fish.   By making my own lures (bucktail jigs), I always come out money ahead on fishing.                    

The days of shooting a brick of .22 long gone. My New Years resolution is only to shoot more. Really want my daughter to get acclimated with her 40th anniversary Ruger 10/22 and youth 870 20 gauge before youth turkey hunt. Buddy has set up range at his house. 25-50-75-100 yards Has rests at each station. Just bought daughter shooting glasses Bring on the new year and some lead down range.

Idk where you guys are but 22lr by me has has been in stock for months at dicks. $22-30 a brick also field and stream had it. I shoot a lot of 9mm. A few hundred a month but I can get that for 9.78 a box of 50 at Walmart.

How many round's to a brick?

Stoneam where are you located? There's no limit here in Binghamton/vestal anymore.

If the situations doesn't change by July, I'll have to PM you and find out the location of this ammo shop.  Can't find any in my area.  Have to be in Syracuse in July.  Will pass through Binghamton and pick up several bricks if that's the case.

It all depends on the weather. I have a lighted 80 yard archery range marked off in 5 yard increments. And a 50 and 100 yard shooting bench for the rifles. But I will not drag my guns out in snow or rain conditions. I also have a 15 yard indoor range in my basement. I no longer belong to any kind of club ranges or indoor shooting facilities.

To try to figure out a shooting frequency would be impossible because it winds up to be a frequency based on opportunity.

I shoot my bow year around. Have an outdoor range for spring/summer/fall and indoor range to 40 yards in my barn for the winter. So I try to shoot 5 or more days per week.

For guns I can shoot 300 yards at my house. I hardly ever shoot here in the summer and fall as the fields are ag fields and have crops in them, so I go to the range. But I'll shoot the 22-250, .22 mag, and now the .17 HMR a few times a month here during the winter. My hunting rifles get the usual 5-10 shots at the range 2-3 times per year.