The Appalachian Eagle Project in NYS started camera trapping as part of our Golden Eagle/Scavenger research the day after muzzleloader season ended - 12/23. Things were slow then suddenly one site in Delaware County had a burst of activity. These photos are mostly from Delaware. Some may be from Otsego. The bear could be a big problem as deer carcasses are scarce.

Bear removing one of the two carcasses it took.

post-5300-0-10603900-1451749172_thumb.jp

Bear resting after clearing out our bait.

post-5300-0-09503100-1451749185_thumb.jp

Bald Eagle

post-5300-0-80726100-1451749199_thumb.jp

Bald and Golden Eagles together

post-5300-0-93774300-1451749228_thumb.jp

Bobcat-coyote standoff (note -the cats usually win, which is weird).

post-5300-0-71171700-1451749250_thumb.jp

Coyote

post-5300-0-92472000-1451749214_thumb.jp

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 12

Great pics. Do coyotes go after and kill bobcats? I was wondering since they eat feral cats.

I have heard they do but several times coyotes have backed off when bobcats are on the bait. We had a fisher drive off a coyote once. We also had a possum on the bait that a bobcat would not approach.

• 2 weeks later...

This female  golden eagle was captured yesterday at the same site with the bear. Her wingspan was exactly 7'. It is in the Catskill Forest Preserve, in an area with terrible cell service, so I probably will get data intermittently. I will send updates on her movements at times.

post-5300-0-03483700-1452863088_thumb.jp

Photodocumenting her plumage for aging and research. Ignore the guy in camo. That is not Curmudgeon.

post-5300-0-37579200-1452863044_thumb.jp

Release

post-5300-0-92468000-1452863118_thumb.jp

The bird with a bald eagle just before capture. Note the blind in the background.

post-5300-0-01440300-1452863762_thumb.jp

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1

How do you capture them? Is it a method similar to turkey capture with fired nets? I imagine bow nets and the like would be difficult to set up in the situation with deer carcasses.

It is a 20' X 20' net with 3 projectiles. They are each powered by a .22 caliber blank. It is radio controlled. Bow nets would be tough in this situation.

Net launcher

post-5300-0-19782800-1452885811_thumb.jp

Bird in net

post-5300-0-33118400-1452885868_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wow...  I had no idea that Golden Eagles were in NY.  I'm awed, and amazed.  I've been fortunate with my Golden Eagle sightings in other states (watched a predation near Golden Gate in CA, and an eye-level cruise in Polychrome Pass, Denali, AK), and hope to be lucky enough to encounter one here.  I'm also looking forward to reading more on this thread.  Thanks for posting...

Wow...  I had no idea that Golden Eagles were in NY.  I'm awed, and amazed.  I've been fortunate with my Golden Eagle sightings in other states (watched a predation near Golden Gate in CA, and an eye-level cruise in Polychrome Pass, Denali, AK), and hope to be lucky enough to encounter one here.  I'm also looking forward to reading more on this thread.  Thanks for posting...

They are rare, and rarely seen in NY. Most of the reports of goldens are immature balds. They all breed in Canada and move through migrating. A small number winter at high elevations on the Appalachian plateau. I wrote an article on them that appeared in the NYS Conservationist in December 2014. You can find that on the DEC site if you search.

One reason I keep harping on non-lead ammo is because one of our birds died after feeding at a pile of feral pigs that were killed with lead ammo.

BTW - The bird that was caught Thursday returned to the same site to feed Friday and Saturday. We never had that happen before.

• Like 3

The telemetered golden eagle has spent the last 3 days just off the shoulder of a major NYS highway. I am certain there is a dead deer there. Here are a bunch of recent eagle and raven photos. That large group of ravens completely stripped 2 deer of meat by 8:30 AM the other day. There are probably 100 ravens. When I was there, it was like something from Hitchcock. Most of the meat they cache, which is why they can go through so much.

There is one photo here that is not from New York. A collaborator in Ohio sent me the pig photo. I'm glad we aren't getting pigs.

Remember, keep these birds safe, use copper bullets. They perform better than lead too.

post-5300-0-05707700-1453399810_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-06389000-1453399845_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-89342500-1453399879_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-81752100-1453399896_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-09782800-1453399919_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-69985600-1453399861_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-53786500-1453399947_thumb.jp

• Like 4

The telemetered golden eagle has spent the last 3 days just off the shoulder of a major NYS highway. I am certain there is a dead deer there. Here are a bunch of recent eagle and raven photos. That large group of ravens completely stripped 2 deer of meat by 8:30 AM the other day. There are probably 100 ravens. When I was there, it was like something from Hitchcock. Most of the meat they cache, which is why they can go through so much.

There is one photo here that is not from New York. A collaborator in Ohio sent me the pig photo. I'm glad we aren't getting pigs.

Remember, keep these birds safe, use copper bullets. They perform better than lead too.

attachicon.gifEK000092.jpeg

attachicon.gifEK000140A.jpeg

attachicon.gifEK000212.jpeg

attachicon.gifEK000006A.jpeg

attachicon.gifCommon Raven.JPG

attachicon.gifEK000206.jpeg

attachicon.gifOhio_pig.jpg

Wow that is a big boar! 

• Like 1

How much lead would it take to kill one of these birds? Is eating 1 bullet enough to cause trouble?

I takes only a tiny amount of lead to kill an eagle. People say a grain the size of a piece of rice. However, surface area is really what matters. When you have a gut pile with 100 lead fragments, a lot less is needed to kill a bird because the surface area is so much greater when it is fragmented. Sometimes they eat large chunks of lead which are problematic.

There is a treatment called chelation - pronounced like chemotherapy "ki" - that reduces the lead levels in sick birds. Unfortunately, many of these birds die shortly after release.