Vandals strike again

Chef

So I went to camp today to finish pulling all my ladder stands. Normally I wouldn't do this but the property is being sold and I need to store them at home so I can move them to the new camp in the spring. Any way upon arriving at the first stand I notice that that the straps that attach to the platform loop around the tree and then attach to the ladder have been cut they also cut the the string that attaches to the ladder brace.... Thinking maybe this was some freak of nature I take the stand down and head to my next one.... I notice atv tracks in the snow leading right to my stand... Strange since this stand is 150 yards from the nearest trail.... When I get up close I notice the stand is cut in the exact same places...we follow the tracks through the snow and they lead to one of the neighbors barns.... We decide to leave it alone and head for the ground blind.... We get there and the blind is intact but the trail cam in that spot is gone.... I'm now fuming mad and my buddy talks me down off the ledge because I was going to go do something stupid... Oh well at least we are out of there and will have a new spot for next year.

So you know the neighbor did it? Even if I was moving, I'd still be onto the authorities. Cutting straps like that is not only vandalism, but its a blatant attempt to hurt someone badly.

Not doing anything about it, knowing that the property is sold, it'll just happen to the next people and I wouldn't want something like that on my conscious. But that is just me.

• Like 10

So you know the neighbor did it? Even if I was moving, I'd still be onto the authorities. Cutting straps like that is not only vandalism, but its a blatant attempt to hurt someone badly.

Not doing anything about it, knowing that the property is sold, it'll just happen to the next people and I wouldn't want something like that on my conscious. But that is just me.

. The property is being sold to a relative who is already a partner in the place and he knows all about it..... He is installing a full security system along the perimeter with cameras and other motion sensors
  • Like 1

I wonder if the punks vandalized the neighbor's property too or is the neighbor the one who committed the vandalism, do you know the neighbor? what type of person are they? Sneak over there one night undetected and see if you spot an ATV and compare tire tracks if they match, put it this way when they use the ATV again they'll need to get a few new tires. Police wont do shit, you have no solid proof.

Edited by Mossberg500Guy

I wonder if the punks vandalized the neighbor's property too or is the neighbor the one who committed the vandalism, do you know the neighbor? what type of person are they? Sneak over there one night undetected and see if you spot an ATV and compare tire tracks if they match, put it this way when they use the ATV again they'll need to get a few new tires. Police wont do shit, you have no solid proof.

. I'm pretty sure it was the neighbor the tracks lead into his barn... Also since he moved in we have been having trouble with people riding across our lawn... My fiancé did yell at some people that we now believe to be his adult children a few weeks ago.. Any way I'm gone not my problem.....

. I'm pretty sure it was the neighbor the tracks lead into his barn... Also since he moved in we have been having trouble with people riding across our lawn... My fiancé did yell at some people that we now believe to be his adult children a few weeks ago.. Any way I'm gone not my problem.....

You know, you will never have the gift of those damning ATV tracks again. They are better than trail-cam pictures that have to fire at precisely the right time to catch them in the act, and likely will not really be pictures of anything happening.

I hate to see people getting away with things like that. In fact they may assume credit for making you move and turn around and do it to your remaining relative trying to get him to move out. It just seems to me that you would be one pissed-off guy ready to see somebody pay for attempting to do you in. I know I would be, regardless of whether I was vacating the property or not.

• Like 1

You know, you will never have the gift of those damning ATV tracks again. They are better than trail-cam pictures that have to fire at precisely the right time to catch them in the act, and likely will not really be pictures of anything happening.

I hate to see people getting away with things like that. In fact they may assume credit for making you move and turn around and do it to your remaining relative trying to get him to move out. It just seems to me that you would be one pissed-off guy ready to see somebody pay for attempting to do you in. I know I would be, regardless of whether I was vacating the property or not.

. He is putting up a lot more than trail cams the are all full on survelene cams that send real time video to his phone.... The motion sensor alerts him when anything over a certain size is moving..... He can then choose to alert police or push a button that makes loud speakers come on In that area and make announcements

Yah you're kinda being a bit non-confrontational when you should maybe get a wee bit confrontational.

. Well if you start getting confrentational on this sight people bash you..... The last time I had issues with these people I posted here what I was going to do and got bashed....... Don't worry this guy will get his

I think you could have handled it better, especially since you are leaving. You should have gone over there and given them hell. Their actions could have seriously hurt someone, should have called State Police or whatever Police Dept in your area.

. Well if you start getting confrentational on this sight people bash you..... The last time I had issues with these people I posted here what I was going to do and got bashed....... Don't worry this guy will get his

I'm just saying if I've got some guy cutting my straps and I've got tire tracks leading to his barn...he and I are going to have words. Maybe just maybe his atv disappears...then he'll figure out that you don't do stupid s***. you have to stand up for what is yours...because nobody else is going to

and to worry about what people on a website think?!? Is a whole nother problem in and of itself...good luck man, your gonna need it dealing with a-holes like that

I'm just saying if I've got some guy cutting my straps and I've got tire tracks leading to his barn...he and I are going to have words. Maybe just maybe his atv disappears...then he'll figure out that you don't do stupid s***. you have to stand up for what is yours...because nobody else is going to

and to worry about what people on a website think?!? Is a whole nother problem in and of itself...good luck man, your gonna need it dealing with a-holes like that

. Don't worry I may or may not have done something . Just no need to post about it here
  • Like 1

I would not let this issue go

I just got a double stand so my 5 year old and I can sit outside some in the off season and just observe nature.  After reading this I'm gonna check how it's connected to the tree every time I see it just to be safe.  

A good reminder for everyone since straps can fray and sometimes straps can dry rot out in the elements. 

Controlling ones temper and passing on doing something you might regret later is commendable... but allowing an act like this to go without at least notifying the authorities would be irresponsible. At least the neighbors will be on notice that they didn't get away with something they might consider trying again later... and give you a little satisfaction for doing the right thing.

gotta do something but I could see getting even just turning into rounds of tormenting each other.  more respectable than doing nothing though.  I definitely would have had DEC and NYSP both their after I showed them the tracks and damage.  I would've requested that I go with them to discuss things in a civil manner and are more concerned about their actions causing serious injury or death to someone, all passive aggressive like.

• Like 1

That is one of the reasons  we never had a ladder stand in the woods for 24 hours.

We might set it up  in the afternoon, and leave it over-night.  Once the morning hunt was done, and we determined to try another spot, the stands were brought down.

We knew there were occasional trespassers, so we just avoided the risk of theft or destruction.

A secondary issue was avoided this way, no overnight rain or ice on the seats the next morning.

The downside is carrying a 70+ lbs stand in the dark and setting it up waiting for the sun to come up.

But the ladder makes a nice ramp to load deer into the back of a pickup.

. He is putting up a lot more than trail cams the are all full on survelene cams that send real time video to his phone.... The motion sensor alerts him when anything over a certain size is moving..... He can then choose to alert police or push a button that makes loud speakers come on In that area and make announcements

Any idea the brand or model number of this security system? It sounds interesting.