Semi-auto shotgun recommendations ?

BaldguyLee

Hi guys. I may look to buy a semiauto 12ga ( or maybe 20ga ) this offseason. What are some good ones? I'm not very opposed to used.

I'd like one with some future versatility, like barrel swapping. Right now I hunt deer and small game but want to start coyote and waterfowl hunting sometime.

I'd like to stay under $900 but cheaper would be great too. Thanks!

I own 2 winchester SX3's and would highly recommend them. They are not finicky like a lot of autoloaders, mine even digests lowbrass target loads out of 3.5" chambers. I know a few guys who run them competitively for trap and love them also, including one guy who ran a whole trap season without cleaning the gun to see how much it would take. He never found out as it never hiccuped after thousands of RDS... I've owned a lot of semi's but these are my favorite. Look them up and I think you'll be impressed.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I own 2 winchester SX3's and would highly recommend them. They are not finicky like a lot of autoloaders, mine even digests lowbrass target loads out of 3.5" chambers. I know a few guys who run them competitively for trap and love them also, including one guy who ran a whole trap season without cleaning the gun to see how much it would take. He never found out as it never hiccuped after thousands of RDS... I've owned a lot of semi's but these are my favorite. Look them up and I think you'll be impressed.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Currently own, for a long time now, a Winchester 1300, which I love dearly. If I was to ever go to a semi-auto, from all I have read and heard, the Winchester SX3's rate right up their on the reliability list!!

1187 for me as well. Not sure about the new ones, but mine is about 25 years old has been flawless. If I were to get another, it would be a used 1187 3 1/2".

These are really touch and go.I know a few guys that have had them (including me),we used them for waterfowl and turkey.Mine didn't function all the time and another friends bent and broke parts every year.We all used either 3 or 3 1/2 inch loads and keep our guns cleaned and oiled right.The others never had a problem.

I'd recommend the remington 1100 or 1187. I have a few 12 ga 1187s, and 12, 16, and 20 ga 1100's, all of them get used heavily for small game and clays. The Versa Max and the V3 are good guns also but they just aren't in the same league as the 1100 or 1187 in my opinion. You can set them up however you want too, rifled slug barrel, bird barrel, cantilever, etc... As of right now the Versa and V3 don't have slug barrels.

• 3 months later...

used Browning A-5, and no need to change barrels.

Same modified choke barrel taken: ducks, rabbits, pheasants, squirrels, and deer.

Hoping to add turkey to the list soon.

Clean it after done hunting for the year, just wipe down with a little oil after exposure to rain/snow during the season.

• Like 2