NYC has a whopping 66 assembly districts! Thoughts?

mike rossi

YUAZZA!

Here is some more information we found while working on this report in progress:

We have some data from the Plattsburg region Christmas Bird Count of 2006. Here is the numbers for that year:
Ferrisburg: 579 mourning doves.
Plattsburg: 442 mourning doves.
Elizabethtown: 171 mourning doves.
Saranac Lake: 84 mourning doves.

Sedentary mourning doves, meaning those that do not migrate, may form winter flocks numbering well over 100 birds. Here are some examples from past survey data:
1) Eastern Orange County, December 20,1986 a flock of mourning doves estimated by counting to be 3,695 birds.
2) Farmingdale, Nassau County, August 12, 1989 a flock of over 500 mourning doves was observed.
3) Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence County, March 20, 1993 a flock of 56 at a feeder was reported.

• An analysis of Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) data from 1966 to 1994 shows the NY mourning dove population increasing. The data after 1994 up until the present, also shows mourning dove populations rising in NY. From 1966 to 1979 mourning dove population increased an average of 4% per year. From 1980 to 1994 mourning dove population increased about 3% per year.
• Some, but not all of the funding for mourning dove research which was authorized by former republican governor George E. Patacki; was derived from the DEC Division of Fish and Wildlife, in other words, the conservation fund, in even more precise terms hunting license revenue, plus the Return A Gift To Wildlife tax checkoff program. So just why are we not hunting doves in NY?
• Mourning doves nest in “great numbers” in Long Island, the Lower Hudson Valley, and the Lake Ontario Plains. Mourning dove populations have increased in NY for the past 40 to 45 years as evinced by population surveys done by the FWS and other entities.
• Mourning dove populations are more stable in the states which permit hunting.
• The five year state mourning dove banding effort recently completed by the DEC is not the first. Between 1965 and 1970 there was one and perhaps other years. In the 1965 project, the FWS actually funded the participating states staff for the time they worked on the dove banding effort. That included at least Pennsylvania, who was deriving revenue from dove hunting already, yet the “feds” were paying for the time state wildlife staff were on the dove banding effort…. Good deal is an understatement – we are investigating into if this was recently practiced, which would have temporally paid DEC staff with federal funds instead of out of the conservation fund (hunting license revenue)….
• Pennsylvania’s first modern dove hunting season was 1946. Rhode Island’s first modern dove hunting season dates back at least as early as 1968, possibly much earlier.

Never paid attention to them but since reading these threads put out about doves I can say with out a doubt there are a lot of doves in Brooklyn and at property in New Berlin N.Y. I see them all over in trucking lots and backyards now most likely because it has been brought to my attention .Huntable numbers  I don't know but they are here.

Never paid attention to them but since reading these threads put out about doves I can say with out a doubt there are a lot of doves in Brooklyn and at property in New Berlin N.Y. I see them all over in trucking lots and backyards now most likely because it has been brought to my attention .Huntable numbers  I don't know but they are here.

In NY, about 500,000 hunters chase about one million whitetails...... We predict about 5,000 NY hunters would pursue doves..... There are 10 million doves in NY, With that perspective, would you say 10 million doves for 5,000 hunters is a huntable population? 

Putting another spin on it, there are more doves in NY than the number of deer, coyote, turkey,bear, and moose combined..... 

Edited by mike rossi

In NY, about 500,000 hunters chase about one million whitetails...... We predict about 5,000 NY hunters would pursue doves..... There are 10 million doves in NY, With that perspective, would you say 10 million doves for 5,000 hunters is a huntable population?

Putting another spin on it, there are more doves in NY than the number of deer, coyote, turkey,bear, and moose combined.....

How many chipmunks are in NYS, how many would pursue chipmunks? Maybe 500? Is there a huntable population of chipmunks in NYS? Enough to come home with a meal?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

How many chipmunks are in NYS, how many would pursue chipmunks? Maybe 500? Is there a huntable population of chipmunks in NYS? Enough to come home with a meal?

It is amazing the number of hunters who will bolster the narrative of the Humane Society to undermine certain forms of hunting.

How many shrimp or blue claw crabs - which result in considerable by-catch? Or hotdogs or brats? Here is your answer:

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/lets-talk-about-food.html

It is amazing the number of hunters who will bolster the narrative of the Humane Society to undermine certain forms of hunting.

How many shrimp or blue claw crabs - which result in considerable by-catch? Or hotdogs or brats? Here is your answer:

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/lets-talk-about-food.html

I still think there are more chipmunks than doves, deer, coyote, turkey, fox, etc., combined. How many actively gets dressed in the morning and say, I'm going chipmunk hunting today!?

Edited by shawnhu

I still think there are more chipmunks than doves, deer, coyote, turkey, fox, etc., combined. How many actively gets dressed in the morning and say, I'm going chipmunk hunting today!?

I doubt very many, however, I already posted how many hunters pursue mourning doves in states bordering NY. Nationwide, there are about 1 million dove hunters. For reference, nation wide there are also about 1 million waterfowl hunters and about 1.5 million pheasant hunters. 

What about  bluegills and other panfish, crawfish, anchovies, sardines, blue claw crabs, shrimp and bivalve shellfish? 

Here is part two of the report on this topic: 

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/lets-talk-about-food-2.html

Edited by mike rossi

I doubt very many, however, I already posted how many hunters pursue mourning doves in states bordering NY. Nationwide, there are about 1 million dove hunters. For reference, nation wide there are also about 1 million waterfowl hunters and about 1.5 million pheasant hunters.

What about bluegills and other panfish, crawfish, anchovies, sardines, blue claw crabs, shrimp and bivalve shellfish?

Here is part two of the report on this topic:

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/lets-talk-about-food-2.html

You seem very passionate about sardines and shrimp. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were more of a fisherman than a hunter.

Anyone on here specifically go out for sardines and shrimp?

You seem very passionate about sardines and shrimp. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were more of a fisherman than a hunter.

Anyone on here specifically go out for sardines and shrimp?

Then you can't read or have some sort of learning disability that interferes with your ability to understand context.... Show me where in that report do we advocate for either harvest or consumption of sardines or shrimp? 

Either that, or you apparently think people on this site are dumb. Some of them are, I wont argue that. But you are wasting everyone's time - trying adding some meaningful content to this site for once.

The topic of this thread was about working within the political climate of NYC. You, fsw and others decided you would divert the subject. With little vested interest in the matter - (as someone said there are so few hunters in NYC), there was little motivation for me to stay true to that topic. However, you and others have disrupted the subject for others who may have been interested in pursuing a better voice out of NYC.  

Edited by mike rossi

Then you can't read or have some sort of learning disability that interferes with your ability to understand context.... Show me where in that report do we advocate for either harvest or consumption of sardines or shrimp?

Either that, or you apparently think people on this site are dumb. Some of them are, I wont argue that. But you are wasting everyone's time - trying adding some meaningful content to this site for once.

The topic of this thread was about working within the political climate of NYC. You, fsw and others decided you would divert the subject. With little vested interest in the matter - (as someone said there is so few hunters in NYC), there was little motivation for me to stay true to that topic. However, you and others have disrupted the subject for others who may have been interested in pursuing a better voice out of NYC.

You give me too much credit thinking I actually read your articles. In a discussion about doves, you reference shrimp and sardines, and expect people to read the one-sided propaganda links you post? No thanks.

Here's where you went astray. I'm not against dove hunting in NY, I'm against your tactics in trying to belittle others when they don't agree with you and your statistics taken out of context.

So how many chipmunks in NYS and hunters that pursue them? Huntable population?

I don't know who's the dummy, but I'm curious as to what did they win? A dove hunt in NY sponsored by you?

LOL...The funny part is that the hunt would have to be down in the City!  If you go to the parts of the state that has the best feed and nesting areas you wont kill 1 in a weeks time. Now if you want some of those pesky cousins of those doves you just come this way. My barn...Every barn in the county will offer you some great, welcomed hunting!

LOL...The funny part is that the hunt would have to be down in the City! If you go to the parts of the state that has the best feed and nesting areas you wont kill 1 in a weeks time. Now if you want some of those pesky cousins of those doves you just come this way. My barn...Every barn in the county will offer you some great, welcomed hunting!

I've been looking for a spot for those rock doves! Don't be surprised if I show up knocking in the summer!

Would love to do some rock dove hunting. You would not have any problem getting NYC folks to hunt rock doves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The immediate thing that comes to mind is obtaining permission to hunt.

Pigeons are sometimes encountered some distance from grain silos, barns, and feed lots. However, why is scouting for the less abundant pigeons, in those locations, different from scouting for mourning doves? It is not, except maybe pigeons don't blend in as well and are more visible when flying. 

Many kids will obtain permission to shoot pigeons right out of the silos, barns, and around stockyards. But these are usually kids who the landowner knows and trusts. Since there is a kid with a shotgun in every section block, there isn't a great need of hunters to cull pigeons, and if a landowner was in dire straights he owns guns himself. 

Shooting pigeons near farm structures and livestock is productive and a good way to obtain meat, sometimes one hunter entering barns or silos (from the ground or climbing the ladder) to flush them. However this common way of hunting pigeons is not comparable to hunting mourning doves.

With that understanding, it is clear mourning dove hunting would increase hunting opportunity. Pigeon hunting has been legal for some time and is an option, however, mourning dove hunting would add another option.

Edited by mike rossi