Long Island

tj1187

1 minute ago, eagle rider said:

There is public land and of course it is over regulated.  But if you can't shoot a deer with a bow on LI,.... you can't shoot a deer!

Any recommendations. I could use some cabin fever relief during January and Feb. If Bis is right and they allow it to go to March my dream of hunting year round is almost complete.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

SO I SET MY STAND THIS WEEKEND BUT WERE I WANTED TO SET IT THERE WAS TWO STANDS ALREADY IN A TREE HOME MADE STANDS I DID NOT THINK THERE WOULD BE ANY BUT I GUESSED WRNG . SO I SET UP 100 YRDS AWAY  IS THIS  WRNG ....IT IS ON STATE PROPERTY AND HOPE IT DOES NOT GET STOLEN  I DID PUT A LOCK ON IT BUT YOU NEVER  KNOW .....TAKES ME 30 MIN WALK IN

24 minutes ago, Kayakwilly said:

SO I SET MY STAND THIS WEEKEND BUT WERE I WANTED TO SET IT THERE WAS TWO STANDS ALREADY IN A TREE HOME MADE STANDS I DID NOT THINK THERE WOULD BE ANY BUT I GUESSED WRNG . SO I SET UP 100 YRDS AWAY  IS THIS  WRNG ....IT IS ON STATE PROPERTY AND HOPE IT DOES NOT GET STOLEN  I DID PUT A LOCK ON IT BUT YOU NEVER  KNOW .....TAKES ME 30 MIN WALK IN

certainly no more wrong then building permanent stands on State Land.......are they old or new? but you also have to consider someone may do the same to you.

12 hours ago, rachunter said:

those are Texas lonestar ticks http://www.cdc.gov/stari/disease/  there are no chiggers on long island.

I disagree. There is no shortage of chiggers on Long Island. It is possible that they were Lonestar larvae though, but more than likely chiggers  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae

Edited by NonTypical

i was covered from head to toe with texas lone star ticks after talking to a dec biologist he claimed there where no chiggers up here,but your article proves other wise.it's one of the reasons i no longer hunt long island that and the lack of hunting access.it use to be a nice place to hunt and live but not anymore.

I don't doubt we have them both, chiggers are very hard to see even as adults and I'm told only the larvae bite and they're almost impossible to see......so if you get rashes and never noticed anything on you it's probably chigger bites. I've personally been covered in small tick looking things and was told, and am pretty sure those were Texas Lone star tick larvae...so either way treat your clothing with permethrin to keep all that stuff off of yourself.

These are the main reasons I mostly quit hunting here on the island.  Aside from the chiggers and ticks, access to private land is almost impossible.  And, public land is often over-crowded.  I could never look forward to heading into my stand if I knew there was a chance that another hunter might be setting up a few yards away.

DID THE HOT BATH HOT SHOWER  TONS OF SOAP AND STILL GETTING NEW BITES  DAM THEY ARE A PAIN BEEN USING CORTAZONE 10 CREAM A LOT AND ICE WHEN I CAN PROBLEM IS I WRK AND HAVE TO WARE SLACKS AND THE RUBBING MAKE IT WORSE GOT THEM IN THE UNLIKELY PLACE I WISH THIS SHIT ON NO ONE .....LOL  ALL PART OF THE HUNTING WHEN SETTING STANDS .....