Long Island

tj1187

try some benydril[oral] thats what they gave me for the itch. definitely get the  permethrin and deet.

as for the tree stand there really isn't much room on state land not to bump into other hunters.just because someone hangs a stand doesn't mean he owns the spot,there mostly one car parking spot so if your in its your spot. i always took my stand out with me.

good luck out there plenty of big boys out there!!!

only reason I left it was its a long walk with gear in am prob about  a mile in  there are houses that but up against the state property it might be one of the locals  but your suppose to pack in a designated spot .....I do at least ....that why walk is so long ..if he /she is local then its a less then 1/2 for them I would put  a pic up but don't want to spot burn here some peeps get mad

For you guys that hunt the public spots with numbered parking areas, do you hunt only spots that you've pre-scouted?  Or, do you ever go into an unfamiliar spot in the afternoon and hang a stand?  I've been curious about trying them, but have always assumed that these sits would be overhunted and blown out.  But, everyone seems to say that there are plenty of deer.

you have to put you time in  walk around when you know people are not hunting   rain wind crapy weather this way you scent goes away ...I use a topo map first  and bing map ariel view because you can change direction....also  prevailing winds are  w nw  in the winter ...use the wind .. I used it for my first hunt in Otis pike .......I had a 7 pointer 60 yrds  come past me  and my friend took it.......second time in had a 130 class 8 and two big sixes ....they are there   ...deer don't like open wood hunt the edge of burn

areas  you will see on bing maps  it will be   brown

Virgil, as the state and county have done more to allow more public access to land, It seems there is a bit less overcrowding and stepping on other hunters toes.  That said, there still seems to be a steady dose of BS from other hunters (as you alluded to in one of your posts above). 

Kayakwilly, if I were a betting man, I'd say that "the locals" are getting back in there. Or perhaps, other hunters are somehow parking in another location (not the numbered spots), much closer to your spot, and hunting in there. on county property, Ive seen this with my own eyes multiple times.  the amount of BS from other hunters can be unbearable out there.  But still, for me, "not hunting" is more unbearable.

IT DOES SUCK  some times I have to leave my house way early just to get a spot I don't do the check in stuff but I do hunt the # spots with the county and state permits I have done well nothing big but enough for the freezer .I can hunt on a farm but it a pre dawn shot or a twilight shot  and I have to pay ..and if the goose hunters shoe up im done they pushed the filed out

On September 15, 2016 at 8:40 AM, virgil said:For you guys that hunt the public spots with numbered parking areas, do you hunt only spots that you've pre-scouted?  Or, do you ever go into an unfamiliar spot in the afternoon and hang a stand?  I've been curious about trying them, but have always assumed that these sits would be overhunted and blown out.  But, everyone seems to say that there are plenty of deer.

It really depends on what you want to hunt. If you want meat for the freezer, I will hunt in previously hunted locations where I know that I will see deer. But if you want to kill a mature buck, you need to be mobile and have the ability to move your stand to play the wind and keep him guessing. I will sometimes pack my stand in for a mid day scout and set up on fresh sign. If you do this, you need to capitalize and hunt it right away. Don't walk all over said area. Don't come back with your friends to show them. Just hunt it. Most of the mature bucks that I have killed have all been taken while sitting in a new stand location for the first time. A couple may have been taken on the second or third sit. If you hunt a tree in a great location, you can hunt the area again, but try to mix it up on your stand location. Maybe hunt it on a different wind even if you have to move your tree 40-50 yds. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went back sat to check my stand  its still there  I did some mock scrapes (3) to see if they get hit  I will hunt in in two weeks give some time to cool down  tem wise ....set another stand on county property for my friend and his son   came across a trail cam and smiled gave two thumbs up ...looks like he had some kind of liquid on  a old log it was all beat and mushed up ...

YES SIR  SEE YOU GUYS HAD A OUTING OR A SHOOT THIS PAST WEEKEND ..LOOKS LIKE I WONT BE HUNTING THERE THIS YEAR ....THE ONE YEAR I DID NOT HUNT IN 28 YEARS HUNTING THAT PLACE HE STS I CANT COME BACK  HE HAS HUNTERS ALREADY YA IM PISSED LIFE HAS CURVES BUT THAT WAS A KICK IN THE NUTTS