Seed news...

Wht . tail Institute sent me their latest sale flyer...they have made some changes to their seed and have a new test seed out.

I had to laugh...some of you may remember a few years back I planted Hemp and Knaff in one of my plots. I needed to put a call into local cops that this is what I was doing and where because, well the word hemp and Knaff has a leaf similar in structure to weed.

The WHT. tail Institute power plant that many ppl like has now replaced the sorghum in that mix with Sunn Hemp. This allows growers to now use Arrest Max in order to control grasses in the power plant... they also go on to talk about the amazing drawing power of the Sunn Hemp. That has got to be the biggest understatement I'll ever read from them...I planted an acre of it and the deer never allowed it to grow past 6 inches. This is a plant that can grow 6ft in 60 days. So if you buy it ,I'll suggest adding a bit more sunflower to your mix in order to get the structure for the climbing beans. I'm not so crazy after all ;)

They also changed the name of  their Chicory Plus seed  and added their newly released up grade of clover to that mix...They had no info on the new test seed but are giving a 1/2 acre bag away with every sale... If you do not get their sale flyers...give them a call or check their web site if you have interest.

Edited by growalot

Just can't have simple post where I try to give some info,some may not have...thank you..

Paula..I called explained what I was planting and why I called to tell them...they laughed and said they never heard of it...gave them info and they asked where I was planting....told them right along the road...All that and the deer never let one plant grow past 6".

Edited by growalot

The second it came out of the ground...they ignored the soybeans and Sun flowers I planted with them until they were to the ground...30 #'s of seed..not cheap...and not a plant made it over 6 " all summer.I've never had that happen..even with soybeans. First time planting to.

I bet you don't... But you don't live here ,with the pot busts and the helicopter grid work they do every fall across the hill...But thanks for the comments...

PS... to those of you interested and didn't get the flyer...I just answered a PM and will post what I told them.

.OK I have flyer...they add the hemp and took out the sorghum in power plant...They changed the name of Chicory plus to Fusion and the 1/2acre bag of test seed is referred to as AMC and they said it will be added to their perennial blend...so all I know is it is a perennial planting...Hope that helps...Chris

Edited by growalot

I Almost forgot...Sunn hemp which is sold as"live seed" needs an inoculant. NOT one we normally use ie...soybean or clover,alfalfa. Now when ordering your Power Plant you may want to ask them about this..and if they sell it...I spent two weeks hunting high and low here..before going to either Seedland or Pitchardseeds(both sell Sunn Hemp).

BTW..for the bargain ,end of season seed buyers..Hemp may not hold over well to the next season.

It's a cowpea inoculant and Seedland has great info.

Edited by growalot

That's not bad until you have to add on the shipping...been my problem with internet seed for years....I had my order through Pitchards...We had a very nice long phone conversation...at the time it was US post priority box ,any weight one price...he managed to stuff 25#'s into two boxes and it saved me a bunch...knowing me you can bet I weighed them when they arrived

Woodchuck ...I need to add yet another couple of things...there is a difference between Sunn hemp and Tropic Sunn hemp the Tropic is not toxic to animals...the other can be...So Always ask if they are selling Tropic Sunn. That could be why it's such a good price..Hopefully not...I'll be checking my self.

To the PP buyers...make sure  that your plants do not get a chance to go to full bloom ...they make fiber from this and it can cause you problems mowing if left and discing in...picture going over a pile of bailing twine.