Buying Ammo

Big Guy, you can question the government all you want and it will have zero effect, the solution is very simple. Instead of wasting your time bitching about the government, which is pretty much a constant of most of the posts on this site, save yourself the grief and just go to your local store and buy all the ammmo you want

Big Guy, you can question the government all you want and it will have zero effect, the solution is very simple. Instead of wasting your time bitching about the government, which is pretty much a constant of most of the posts on this site, save yourself the grief and just go to your local store and buy all the ammmo you want

Who is bitching about the government?  I made a simply inquiry and somehow you attribute that as bitching?  

Don't forget to bring your pistol permit with you if buying any ammo that is sold in a pistol caliber. Most major retailers ask for it now, at least in my area.

I have purchased 380 ammo in two different Big Stores and was not asked to see my pistol permit . 

• Like 1

I have purchased 380 ammo in two different Big Stores and was not asked to see my pistol permit .

Dick's and Wal-Mart in Vestal NY asked me on more than one occasion to see my pistol permit when I was buying .22 ammo. It even came up on the register screen. They asked me if this purchase was for a pistol or rifle. I wasn't getting my permit out, so I said rifle.

My FIL just bought .380 ammo for his buddy as a Christmas gift and they asked him for his permit before they sold it to him.

Find a local shop and give him a shot at getting what you want! My local guy can basically get anything in 3 days after I call him. It's not always as cheap but to me doing business locally is worth it. If I am asked for my permit while purchasing ammo I leave it on the counter and walk out! We have strict enough gun laws from the GOV. I don't need it from stores too. As far as the companies not selling to NY. Oh well it's hurting them more than me.

• Like 1

Try buying ammo in conn.if your from NY,make sure that you have your ammo purchasing permit that will cost you $30.00,the money that you save is burned up in fee's & shipping.Some of you are pathetic complaining about how some companies will not send ammo in to NY and call them anti's just go to a local shop and get all you want and thanks for coming out and voting last governor's

election

You sure about that. Wal-Mart's online ammo section says available only in stores. Last week when I was looking to see if Dicks had a specific cartridge for my rifle I hit the site and found that they now have a "come into the store for details" with their ammo, all of it.  When you click on any ammo it gives you a blank page.

I like going to local gun shops for some ammo, gives me a reason to browse and see what's in the used gun area.

Wal-Mart is a bad example. They won't even let you buy 9mm rounds there without a pistol permit. They misinterpret the law big time. The law says if the ammo is manufactured only for use in a pistol you must have a pistol permit. Tons of stuff shoot 9mm but they insist it is pistol ammo. Got in a fight with the store manager over 22 shorts about a year ago. Used my phone right in front of him to find a long gun on walmart.com that shot shorts to prove to him they are not just for pistols. I had my pistol permit but wanted to prove a point.

Anyways back to the subject buying online generally only makes sense if you're buying something hard to find, buying in bulk or don't live close to a store. The prices after shipping just generally are not worth it. Even before the SAFE Act. Again generally there are exceptions. 

I've found that stores or shops will ask for or if you have a pistol permit.  some situations and calibers you can say it's for a long gun and that's the end of it.  only exception is a local shop where they know you bought pistols and what not from them before.

Holy crap dude, while I am not on here complaining about all the stuff going on right now. I do believe you need to question and hold the government accountable. If not, it is a very slippery slope. It is our job to question the government in everything they do. They work for us, not the other way around. 

• Like 3

Try buying ammo in conn.if your from NY,make sure that you have your ammo purchasing permit that will cost you $30.00,the money that you save is burned up in fee's & shipping.Some of you are pathetic complaining about how some companies will not send ammo in to NY and call them anti's just go to a local shop and get all you want and thanks for coming out and voting last governor's

election

I whole heartedly agree with you about the voting thing, despite those on here most likely voted.  however, getting the ammo you need many times isn't that easy.  local shops get what they get and that's it.  if you want to pay a lot very very few shops can find it.  I didn't complain but just saying "...and get all you want..." isn't really the case.  at least around here it's not.

Wal-Mart is a bad example. They won't even let you buy 9mm rounds there without a pistol permit. They misinterpret the law big time. The law says if the ammo is manufactured only for use in a pistol you must have a pistol permit. Tons of stuff shoot 9mm but they insist it is pistol ammo. Got in a fight with the store manager over 22 shorts about a year ago. Used my phone right in front of him to find a long gun on walmart.com that shot shorts to prove to him they are not just for pistols. I had my pistol permit but wanted to prove a point.

Anyways back to the subject buying online generally only makes sense if you're buying something hard to find, buying in bulk or don't live close to a store. The prices after shipping just generally are not worth it. Even before the SAFE Act. Again generally there are exceptions. 

second part I agree with.  true to my experiences anyway.

first part is just store/company policy.  I'm sure they (corporate) knows exactly what the law is and means.  being only a small portion of what they provide they just are being a little over zealous to cover their butt.  that's what I've been told was the word that trickled down.  years ago had a heart to heart convo with Cabelas management up in Maine at a store I go to.  I inquired being from NY would they still recognize my permit and let me buy ammo among other questions.  He basically told me he feels bad about the stuff we have to go through.  he said shop around and know that you can purchase anything gun related we've got in the store hassle free.  they have to obey law but aside from that policy is just policy whether it hurts their business or not.  their choice.

A lot of times you can't buy any of the ammo you want at the local stores because some ammo is very hard to find. Stores are almost always out of 22LR, 35 Rem, 32 Win. Special, 44 mag, 41 mag, 10mm..the list goes on. A friend of mine has a Contender in 357 Max. he hasn't been able to get ammo for it for a couple of years now. He found it online but can't get it shipped.

I'm just catching up to this thread so pardon me if someone else covered this.

It is NOT illegal to have ammo shipped directly to your door. The unsafe act doesn't prohibit it, and there are still dealers that will ship it to you directly.

§ 50. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 400.03 to read

40 as follows:

41 §_400.03_Sellers_of_ammunition.

42 1._A_seller_of_ammunition_as_defined__in__subdivision__twenty-four__of

43 section_265.00_of_this_chapter_shall_register_with_the_superintendent_of

44 state__police_in_a_manner_provided_by_the_superintendent.__Any_dealer_in

45 firearms_that_is_validly_licensed_pursuant_to__section__400.00__of__this

46 article_shall_not_be_required_to_complete_such_registration.

47 2.__Any_seller_of_ammunition_or_dealer_in_firearms_shall_keep_a_record

48 book_approved_as_to_form_by_the_superintendent_of_state_police.__In__the

49 record__book_shall_be_entered_at_the_time_of_every_transaction_involving

50 ammunition_the_date,_name,_age,_occupation_and_residence_of__any__person

51 from_whom_ammunition_is_received_or_to_whom_ammunition_is_delivered,_and

52 the__amount,_calibre,_manufacturer's_name_and_serial_number,_or_if_none,

53 any_other_distinguishing_number_or_identification_mark_on__such__ammuni-

54 tion.__The_record_book_shall_be_maintained_on_the_premises_mentioned_and

55 described__in__the_license_and_shall_be_open_at_all_reasonable_hours_for

56 inspection_by_any_peace_officer,_acting_pursuant_to_his_or__her__special

duties,_or_police_officer.__Any_record_produced_pursuant_to_this_section

2 and__any__transmission__thereof__to__any__government_agency_shall_not_be

3 considered_a_public_record_for_purposes_of_article__six__of__the__public

4 officers_law.

5 3.__No__later__than__thirty_days_after_the_superintendent_of_the_state

6 police_certifies_that_the_statewide_license_and_record__database__estab-

7 lished_pursuant_to_section_400.02_of_this_article_is_operational_for_the

8 purposes__of__this__section,__a__dealer_in_firearms_licensed_pursuant_to

9 section_400.00_of_this_article,_a_seller_of__ammunition__as__defined__in

10 subdivision__twenty-four__of__section__265.00__of_this_chapter_shall_not

11 transfer_any_ammunition_to_any_other_person__who__is__not__a__dealer__in

12 firearms__as__defined__in__subdivision__nine_of_such_section_265.00_or_a

13 seller_of_ammunition_as_defined_in_subdivision__twenty-four__of__section

14 265.00_of_this_chapter,_unless:

15 (a)__before__the__completion__of__the_transfer,_the_licensee_or_seller

16 contacts_the_statewide_license_and__record__database__and__provides__the

17 database__with_information_sufficient_to_identify_such_dealer_or_seller,

18 transferee_based_on_information_on_the_transferee's_identification_docu-

19 ment_as_defined_in_paragraph_©_of_this_subdivision,__as__well__as__the

20 amount,__calibre,_manufacturer's_name_and_serial_number,_if_any,_of_such

21 ammunition;

22 (B)_the_system_provides_the_licensee_or_seller_with_a_unique_identifi-

23 cation_number;_and

24 ©_the_transferor_has_verified_the__identity__of__the__transferee__by

25 examining_a_valid_state_identification_document_of_the_transferee_issued

26 by__the_department_of_motor_vehicles_or_if_the_transferee_is_not_a_resi-

27 dent_of_the_state_of_New_York,_a_valid_identification_document_issued_by

28 the_transferee's_state_or_country_of_residence_containing__a__photograph

29 of_the_transferee.

30 4.__If__the__database__determines__that_the_purchaser_of_ammunition_is

31 eligible_to_possess_ammunition_pursuant_to_state_and_federal__laws,__the

32 system_shall:

33 (a)_assign_a_unique_identification_number_to_the_transfer;_and

34 (B)_provide_the_licensee_or_seller_with_the_number.

35 5.__If_the_statewide_license_and_record_database_notifies_the_licensee

36 or_seller_that_the_information_available_to_the_database_does_not_demon-

37 strate_that_the_receipt_of_ammunition_by_such_other_person_would_violate

38 18_U.S.C._922(g)_or_state_law,_and_the_licensee_transfers_ammunition__to

39 such_other_person,_the_licensee_shall_indicate_to_the_database_that_such

40 transaction__has__been__completed_at_which_point_a_record_of_such_trans-

41 action_shall_be_created_which_shall_be_accessible__by__the__division__of

42 state__police__and__maintained_for_no_longer_than_one_year_from_point_of

43 purchase,_which_shall_not_be_incorporated_into_the_database__established

44 pursuant__to__section_400.02_of_this_article_or_the_registry_established

45 pursuant_to_subdivision_sixteen-a_of_section_400.00_of_this_article._The

46 division_of_state_police_may_share_such_information__with__a__local__law

47 enforcement__agency.____Evidence__of__the__purchase_of_ammunition_is_not

48 sufficient_to_establish_probable_cause_to_believe_that_the_purchaser_has

49 committed_a_crime_absent_other_information_tending_to_prove_the__commis-

50 sion__of_a_crime._Records_assembled_or_accessed_pursuant_to_this_section

51 shall_not_be_subject_to_disclosure_pursuant_to_article_six_of_the_public

52 officers_law._This_requirement_of_this_section_shall_not_apply_(i)_if__a

53 background__check__cannot__be_completed_because_the_system_is_not_opera-

54 tional_as_determined_by_the_superintendent_of_state_police,_or_where__it

55 cannot__be_accessed_by_the_practitioner_due_to_a_temporary_technological

56 or_electrical_failure,_as_set_forth_in_regulation,_or_(ii)_a__dealer__or

seller__has__been_granted_a_waiver_from_conducting_such_background_check

2 if_the_superintendent_of_state_police_determines__that__such__dealer__is

3 incapable__of__such__check_due_to_technological_limitations_that_are_not

4 reasonably__within__the__control__of__the__dealer,__or_other_exceptional

5 circumstances_demonstrated_by_the_dealer,_pursuant_to_a__process__estab-

6 lished_in_regulation,_and_at_the_discretion_of_such_superintendent.

7 6.__If__the__superintendent__of_state_police_certifies_that_background

8 checks_of_ammunition_purchasers_may_be_conducted__through__the__national

9 instant_criminal_background_check_system,_use_of_that_system_by_a_dealer

10 or__seller__shall_be_sufficient_to_satisfy_subdivisions_four_and_five_of

11 this_section_and_such_checks_shall_be__conducted__through__such__system,

12 provided__that__a__record__of_such_transaction_shall_be_forwarded_to_the

13 state_police_in_a_form_determined_by_the_superintendent.

14 7._No_commercial_transfer_of_ammunition__shall__take__place__unless__a

15 licensed__dealer__in_firearms_or_registered_seller_of_ammunition_acts_as

16 an_intermediary_between_the_transferor_and_the__ultimate__transferee__of

17 the__ammunition_for_the_purposes_of_contacting_the_statewide_license_and

18 record_database_pursuant_to_this__section.__Such__transfer__between__the

19 dealer_or_seller,_and_transferee_must_occur_in_person.

20 8.__A__seller__of__ammunition__who__fails_to_register_pursuant_to_this

21 section_and_sells_ammunition,_for_a_first_offense,_shall_be_guilty_of__a

22 violation__and__subject__to__the__fine_of_one_thousand_dollars_and_for_a

23 second_offense,_shall_be_guilty_of_a_class_A_misdemeanor.

24 A_seller_of_ammunition_that_fails_to_keep_any_record_required_pursuant

25 to_this_section,_for_a_first_offense_shall_be_guilty_of_a_violation__and

26 subject__to__a__fine__of__five_hundred_dollars,_and_for_a_second_offense

27 shall_be_guilty_of_a_class_B_misdemeanor,_and_the_registration__of__such

28 seller_shall_be_revoked.

So it sin't "illegal' for online sales as long as they can meet ALL the requirements to verify ID and such. Which is impossible and burdensome. So they just won't sell here.  

• Like 1

Good info Culver!

None of that is required without the database in place, but the misinformation from NYS scares everyone away.

There still are out of state sellers that will ship to your door. The pricing isn't the greatest, but if they have what your looking for, you can still get it.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

Good info Culver!

None of that is required without the database in place, but the misinformation from NYS scares everyone away.

There still are out of state sellers that will ship to your door. The pricing isn't the greatest, but if they have what your looking for, you can still get it.

That was some of the posts earlier in the thread. There has a "wink wink, nod nod, we aren't ready to do this so you don't have to, yet"  but the letter of the law has never been changed. I think that is why many are not shipping. some are but as you said, they are getting a premium. 

• Like 1

All part of the plan to make owning a firearm so confusing, cumbersome and expensive, people will just not want to bother.  Especially when every miniscule legal infraction can put you in prison for 10 years.

The 2nd Amendment prevents anti's from banning all guns, but it doesn't stop them from infringing on the right as much as they can get away with.  Thanks to activist judges, they are getting away with a lot.

It's ironic their desire to push "gun safety" is going to wind up getting a lot of people killed in the long run.

• 6 years later...
25 minutes ago, brendaalex said:

So I (surprisingly) found some ammo in stock at an online store and I'm thinking about ordering some

What's the process of buying ammo online in Maryland? Does the ammo have to be shipped to an FFL dealer or can it just be shipped to my door?

Ask the site selling the ammo what, if any, restrictions they have for your state. Or check with your local law enforcement.

1 hour ago, brendaalex said:

So I (surprisingly) found some ammo in stock at an online store and I'm thinking about ordering some

What's the process of buying ammo online in Maryland? Does the ammo have to be shipped to an FFL dealer or can it just be shipped to my door?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/maryland-firearms-statutes-and-codes/download

The best i can do for you ^

On 4/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, brendaalex said:

Depends are what part of NY you live in . A few online places will ship to,your door ,many will not, some won’t ship to NYC or the neighboring counties . Buds guns ,is one of a few who will ship it to,your door .

Generally once you place your order and enter your address, you see if they’ll ship it to,you or not .

What ammo are you looking for ?

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Depends are what part of NY you live in . A few online places will ship to,your door ,many will not, some won’t ship to NYC or the neighboring counties . Buds guns ,is one of a few who will ship it to,your door .

Generally once you place your order and enter your address, you see if they’ll ship it to,you or not .

What ammo are you looking for ?

They are asking about Maryland.