Tell me if I'm crazy but...

Rockspek

I was out in the woods today in a place I've only walked through once before.  I came upon a spot where 4 or 5 high traffic deer trails were crossing and I couldn't believe the musky smell.  It was almost overpowering.  I slapped a cam on a tree and got out of there as fast as possible so I didn't leave any more scent.  I can't wait to see what pops up on the cam.  Could the smell be left over from the rut or do bucks continue leaving such a strong smell now?  Or am I just crazy?    

• Like 2

Some does are still cycling if they were not bred on the first or second estrus cycles they come into season again every 26 days or so. It will be interesting to see the photos, but the breeding party or what I call the Whitetail Breeding Nucleus (WBN) moves through the woods. The action, hence the smell, is not stuck in a static place. The action probably has moved on and like the scent,...the breeding pheromones that you smelled will quickly disperse. But as to crazy...who am I to say? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

never smelled fox urine.  All my life smells seem to be stored in my head and when I smell something like them again it reminds me of the time I smelled it first.  Smelled this today and it reminded me of being around the buck I shot this last season.  Do fox urine and buck tarsal glands smell similar?

• Like 1

Nope. They smell quite different to me. I used to trap and use fox lures and fox urine and skinned foxes. I cut my buck tarsals and doe tarsals...they smell differently. I always smell them and cut them off the back legs and put them in the freezer for next year. They all smell different to me, mink, beaver, muskrats, etc. But I always remember that psyc class in college when they cut an apple and a potato and let us bite the potato while putting an apple slice under our nose. We thought we were eating an apple and it was a potato! Try it. They say, "the nose knows,"... but I'm not so sure about that.

I found 3 brand new rubs today...so no surprise, though I will ask how familiar you are with Fox urine? As another member pointed out..it's their breeding season...so I'm sure territory is getting "marked" big time

Right you are Grow...I got this photo of foxes being "frisky" the other day...actually I have a small series of them.

post-245-0-81856200-1452380744_thumb.jpg

• Like 1