OK guy's Call your lawmakers

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem here is possible abuse of this exception. The same doctors giving bogus handicap parking stickers for a sore knee will be handing out disabled notes for a sore shoulder. If there is a subjective complaint of shoulder pain without objective findings, is the person still disabled? 

I think the law should require "objective findings" of disability i.e. mri showing torn rotator cuff, emg showing pinched nerve, post surgical repair ect....

Not just some guy who has never even bowhunted when he was healthy complaining of a sudden sore shoulder and asking for a disability note.   

Some will abuse it but think of the ones who can't bowhunt anymore due to injury or amputation, they are left out because nys doesn't think your disabled unless your a quad in a chair and have to use a breath tube. yes there are bad apples but i hate to tell a vet who lost an arm or use of an arm/shoulder he/she can't bow hunt because they aren't a quad..

Thid would effectively allow crossbows to be used by the newly defined disabled in the regular bow season. I feel this should of been in place years ago. yes i know lots of people are against crossbows in the reg bow season, and the law will allow them to be used during regular gun and late season next year. but i am for helping enabling the disabled continue or start to bowhunt. Sorry if this ticks off some newyork bowhunter members( i was a member once and this is the main reason i left,and i heard the argument about drawlocks vs crossbows and if your that afraid of them you need to do some more research!)

I think the law should require "objective findings" of disability i.e. mri showing torn rotator cuff, emg showing pinched nerve, post surgical repair ect....

Not just some guy who has never even bowhunted when he was healthy complaining of a sudden sore shoulder and asking for a disability note. 

unlike the handicapped parking stickers, which can be issued for a temporary condition this bill does use the term "permanent". No matter what the issue...there will be abuses. This would mean my father could bow hunt with me again though. Looks like the best case most of this years bow season would not be included due to the november start date....IF DEC even chose to act. Sounds like just because there is a law DEC has the option to inact it as they see fit...or not.

Why does this stop with just crossbows? There is bound to be many disabilities that cannot be compensated for by a crossbow. Why are there no provisions in this bill for people in that more severe bracket of handicap to use firearms during bow seasons.

Why does this stop with just crossbows? There is bound to be many disabilities that cannot be compensated for by a crossbow. Why are there no provisions in this bill for people in that more severe bracket of handicap to use firearms during bow seasons.

Using the same line of reasoning you could say

"Why does gun season stop with just firearms? There is bound to be many disabilities that connot be compensated for by a firearm. Why are there no provisions in a bill for people in that more severe bracket of handicap to use traps to snare the deer and hold it still so they can shoot it during gun season."

The reason why is because traps are not firearms, just like guns are not archery equipment. Crossbows are archery equipment. Its not rocket science.  :P

there you go, typical tongue n cheek response i would expect from you Doc.

OK so now lets have it Doc, your 40 full page responses are sure to follow right, let the endless dribble begin :P

well they both have triggers so i don't see a firearm during bow a nessary evil..

they appear similiar in many regards. I wuld think anyone capable of using a gun to hunt could operate a crossbow. There are cocking aids. weight and firing operation are very similiar ...model depending.

How cheap are those cocking aids? I don't think they are standard equipment on the average crossbow are they. Are they one hand operated? Also, if I had only one arm (typical disability even with shoulder and back problems), I might chose to use a pistol, or even a rifle would be a whole lot easier to load and hold. Also, I would think that handguns and rifles might be a lot easier to transport for someone with the use of just one arm/hand. I know that crossbows are very awkward in terms of having lateral instability (side to side rocking) added into the mix. Frankly, if I had the use of only one arm or hand, the crossbow probably would not be a very good option compared to any firearm and especially pistols.

"Why does gun season stop with just firearms? There is bound to be many disabilities that connot be compensated for by a firearm. Why are there no provisions in a bill for people in that more severe bracket of handicap to use traps to snare the deer and hold it still so they can shoot it during gun season."

The reason why is because traps are not firearms, just like guns are not archery equipment. Crossbows are archery equipment. Its not rocket science.  ;)

You know, you're right. At some point we just have to simply admit that we can no longer bowhunt, and there may actually be some ways to provide realistic, practical assistance. Of course that solution all depends on whether we are really concerned about disabled hunters or more interested in trying to cram crossbows into bow season in any way we can. If we are truly concerned about disabled hunters then give them the use of a weapon that actually does help them out in a real way. And that's not rocket science either.

The reason why is because traps are not firearms, just like guns are not archery equipment. Crossbows are archery equipment. Its not rocket science.  ;)

You know, you're right. At some point we just have to simply admit that we can no longer bowhunt, and there may actually be some ways to provide realistic, practical assistance. Of course that solution all depends on whether we are really concerned about disabled hunters or more interested in trying to cram crossbows into bow season in any way we can. If we are truly concerned about disabled hunters then give them the use of a weapon that actually does help them out in a real way. And that's not rocket science either.

hey Doc can you tell us the story about you riding off into the sunset again when you can no longer draw yer bow, thats one of my favorites!

Some people must realize that certain disabilities make it impossible to hunt. Draw a bow, shoot a gun or pistol. Plus there are other factors to consider getting in and out of the woods. Climbing mountains and getting in and out of stands. Even people without disabilities are not cut out for hunting even it there was a law to use a crossbow. Next we will have a law to make the woods wheelchair accessible. We can't legislate everything to accommodate everybody. I want to make it clear I have nothing against the disable.

Dave

I have a friend that has a non-profit org. called advanced strategies.. that takes physically handicapped hunters out for all kinds of hunting and fishing.. they have even taken blind hunters out. Non of them use a crossbow... some do need things like blow tubes for trigger releases and have compound bows with draw holding mechanisms... I think if they can find a way to do it without a crossbow.. guys with lesser disabilities can sure do the same...

The reason why is because traps are not firearms, just like guns are not archery equipment. Crossbows are archery equipment. Its not rocket science.  :)

The point of the legislation is to give disabled hunters archery equipment they can use for archery season. Simple as that.No reason to jump off a cliff or go to any other extreme like do away with archery season.  ;)

why don't we just make a traditional longbow season...seems i remember when compound bows were taboo... just think compound bows were created in the late 60' and 70' popular in the 80's. crossbows have been around since 1000bc...maybe we should embrace the crossbow and ban compounds... come on people what are you afraid of??? you are as bad as locking yourself in your room and screaming like a 2 year old!!!