OK guy's Call your lawmakers

I say we ban all bows, and in there place have to use a matchlock or flintlock longrifle. Seriously, I would have no problem with truly handicapped persons using a crossbow. The sticking point I guess would be what is considered handicapped? What level of physical disability would everyone consider worthy of a crossbow permit? A torn rotator cuff will heal eventually enough to use a bow again. So do        "physically"  disabled people need to get a doctors note evey yr saying they are still disabled or is it a one time thing? What should happen is Statewide AR and crossbows legalized for all seasons.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of the legislation is to give disabled hunters archery equipment they can use for archery season. Simple as that.No reason to jump off a cliff or go to any other extreme like do away with archery season.  ;)

My mistake. I thought the point of the legislation was to keep injured or disabled people involved with hunting. That's hardly doing away with bow season or jumping off any cliffs. I'm simply saying that if we are truly serious about helping the disabled continue to enjoy hunting, then do something meaningful like allowing them to use a weapon that really does assist them in a truly practical fashion. Perhaps the type of weapon would have to be determined based on the category of disability, and I am sure that if properly defined and regulated, the small number of hunters that would actually be added afield would hardly be noticed over the existing small game hunters out there with guns already. I wouldn't be expecting a big change in deer take either.

This idea of handing them a crossbow just to feel like you have done something wonderful is really only a token gesture and is pretty much the same as ignoring the disabled altogether.

The point of the legislation is to give disabled hunters archery equipment they can use for archery season. Simple as that.No reason to jump off a cliff or go to any other extreme like do away with archery season.  ;)

My mistake. I thought the point of the legislation was to keep injured or disabled people involved with hunting. That's hardly doing away with bow season or jumping off any cliffs. I'm simply saying that if we are truly serious about helping the disabled continue to enjoy hunting, then do something meaningful like allowing them to use a weapon that really does assist them. Perhaps the type of weapon would have to be determined based on the category of disability, but this idea of handing them a crossbow just to feel like you have done something wonderful is really only a token gesture.

Doc we can all see right thru on how your trying to spin this whole thing in your own silly little fashion. but as far as firearms being the final outcome of allowing crossbows into archery season is total HOGWASH. Ohio has had crossbows included in their archery season for some 30 years now and yea you guessed it still no guns in bow season, Duhhh! :O

My mistake. I thought the point of the legislation was to keep injured or disabled people involved with hunting. That's hardly doing away with bow season or jumping off any cliffs. I'm simply saying that if we are truly serious about helping the disabled continue to enjoy hunting, then do something meaningful like allowing them to use a weapon that really does assist them in a truly practical fashion. Perhaps the type of weapon would have to be determined based on the category of disability, and I am sure that if properly defined and regulated, the small number of hunters that would actually be added afield would hardly be noticed over the existing small game hunters out there with guns already. I wouldn't be expecting a big change in deer take either.

This idea of handing them a crossbow just to feel like you have done something wonderful is really only a token gesture and is pretty much the same as ignoring the disabled altogether.

Your first sentence is what I said. The second has to do with your tendency to take anything to do with crossbows to the extreme, usually resulting in the suggestion that we scrap archery season and let guns in. The cliff thing wasnt to be taken literally.

Doc, disabled people can already hunt with guns in gun season, but its very very difficult for them to hunt archery season. With this legislation, they will be able to do that with a crossbow. Im sure many disabled or injured hunters would like the opportunity to hunt during archery season with archery equipment rather than being allowed something like a gun just because they are disabled.

Yes the disabled do and can use guns during gun season, but like wnybuckhunter said it allows them to use a bow during the archery season.. the best ting that this does is redefine what it is to be disabled permantly..you don't have to be a quad. in a wheelchair. it is good legislation and opens up archery season to them with a resonable cost of equipment. I am not afraid of sharing the woods with another hunter. The notion that any season is sacred is crazy..there are people out there that have to remember when compounds were illegal,then they were allowed but releases were illegal.. to poke at somone's choice of weapon when it is legal is childish. If you want pure archery season i guess we have to look at a tradional season ...but wern't crossbows used by the romans..and even back further by the chinese? hmmmm maybe prehistoric stick and string or maybe go to spear or sling....so what it traditional or is it just what we think we are use to?

Well if the Romans used them then it must be ok......wait didn't they also stone people to death, fight to the death in an arena, and nail people to crosses as punishment?  Not quite sure I would use them as an example to further my agenda. 

Lets see they also built roads,aquaducts,sanitation,.... not and agenda just saying they've been around longer than compound bows,and no one seems to have a problem with those ... only agenda i'd like to see is the redefining of disabled for hunters in new york...

Unless this bill passes the only way you are able to hunt using a drawloc with a breathtube is if you are a quad in a wheelchair, i really don't care what they use but if you have 1 arm its kind of tough to hold a bow with a 5lbs drawloc added to it upright and aim and press a release. much easier to place a xbow on a rail hold to the shoulder and pull a trigger, it removes special and expensive equipment needed to hold a bow upright so you can aim or the need for another person to be there to aim for you, so even if two years pass and xbows are legal you still need to be a quad in a wheel chair and use a breath tube,even if it is a xbow. Its a good bill that will allow lots of disabled hunters to join the ranks of bowhunters.

Non of them use a crossbow... some do need things like blow tubes for trigger releases and have compound bows with draw holding mechanisms... I think if they can find a way to do it without a crossbow.. guys with lesser disabilities can sure do the same...

and there is the rub, Joe. They can't...there is NO legal avenue for them.

What level of physical disability would everyone consider worthy of a crossbow permit? A torn rotator cuff will heal eventually enough to use a bow again. So do        "physically"  disabled people need to get a doctors note evey yr saying they are still disabled or is it a one time thing?

The bill is written so it is a PERMANENT disability. I do wish they went further to describe what level of disability is required,. As written is states making the person unable to draw and hold the bow. Probably a lot of Dr's out there that don't hunt and would have no idea what it takes. I am sure there will be abuses just like any other aspect of the Govt. ....welfare....sicial security disability..on and on.

As written, there will be more abusers than truely disabled. Is being old a permanent disability?  If I complain about shoulder tendonitis each and every year it must be permanent even though it might not be true and my doctor can't disprove my subjective complaints.

As written, there will be more abusers than truely disabled. Is being old a permanent disability?  If I complain about shoulder tendonitis each and every year it must be permanent even though it might not be true and my doctor can't disprove my subjective complaints.

Exactly what I am talking about. I guess the only saving grace for that person that abuses this bill/law......it isn't costing me anything...If anything we...as taxpayers pick up the $$ they pay for a stamp. The other abusers of the system cost us all every year. Not justification ...only saying the "abuse" really wouldn't be hurting anyone. And I wonder how many would really do it.

Valid points have been make these Dr.'s will give you a note for just about anything. How many people are collecting disability benefits and have other jobs. There are always people out there to scam the system and it seems that getting a letter from a Dr. to say you have a disability and unable to pull a bow would be pretty easy.

Dave

Not hurting anybody???  Have you ever tried to hunt state land. Hard to find a spot to scout and set up on a deer without getting stepped on by another hunter. Then the orange army comes out and forget it. This loophole lets the orange army in during archery season via abuses of the system.

Unless this bill passes the only way you are able to hunt using a drawloc with a breathtube is if you are a quad in a wheelchair, i really don't care what they use but if you have 1 arm its kind of tough to hold a bow with a 5lbs drawloc added to it upright and aim and press a release. much easier to place a xbow on a rail hold to the shoulder and pull a trigger, it removes special and expensive equipment needed to hold a bow upright so you can aim or the need for another person to be there to aim for you, so even if two years pass and xbows are legal you still need to be a quad in a wheel chair and use a breath tube,even if it is a xbow. Its a good bill that will allow lots of disabled hunters to join the ranks of bowhunters.

You can already use a Draw loc in NY and I don't think you have to be a quad, but I don't know the specifics for sure. I don't understand the second part of your post, if they go full inclusion then any one can use them in archery season. Just seems like it might be a bill that is not needed if NY plans on going full inclusion any way.

well my neighbor bought a bow, had watched us for years harvesting game before he could  with a gun, bought an expensive set up and headed out to get his easy deer... lasted 1 season shot at deer way to far away arrow landed way short. Gave up pretty fast..hasn't bow hunted since. maybe a lot of people will initially jump on board the scam to try it but you and i know they are in for a rude awakening. The people that benifit from this bill are the truly disabled sportsman that will continue to follow their passion of the sport.

Not hurting anybody???  Have you ever tried to hunt state land. Hard to find a spot to scout and set up on a deer without getting stepped on by another hunter. Then the orange army comes out and forget it. This loophole lets the orange army in during archery season via abuses of the system.

Actually I have hunted State land a lot. There are several pieces I have hunted that I don't even see a hunter during bow in the woods. I just spent some tiem scouting for deer and absence of hunter sign as well.  I think you are way over estimating the abuse level. Let's say all the "orange army" is a bunch of lazy no good slobs...for sake of argument. wouldn't you expect these same lazy abusers to be the driving around with the handicapped stickers in their windows. I see abuses of this...but I have yet to pull into wegmans or the mall and find all those spot filled. This is not a full inclusion bill. It must be documented permanent disability. I just don't anticipate the level of abuse you do

well my neighbor bought a bow, had watched us for years harvesting game before he could  with a gun, bought an expensive set up and headed out to get his easy deer... lasted 1 season shot at deer way to far away arrow landed way short. Gave up pretty fast..hasn't bow hunted since. maybe a lot of people will initially jump on board the scam to try it but you and i know they are in for a rude awakening. The people that benifit from this bill are the truly disabled sportsman that will continue to follow their passion of the sport.

and there will be lots of afordable second hand crossbows to be had  ;)