NYS 5 year renewal pistol permit ?!

turkeyfeathers

Yes..It was part of the SAFE ACT. NY Permit holders are now required to re certify every 5 years. But no one seems to know what that will involve or whether or not it will cost anything. 

So another law put into effect that nobody knows anything about ?! That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thank you

I've not received anything in the mail. Only heard a mentioning of it when SAFE ACT came around and recently someone mentioned seeing something in paper. As ants said I don't think they have any idea what they are doing with it yet.

Roadkill; you got a renewal in the mail ?  Maybe because you changed counties perhaps ?

No. The renewal wasn't by mail. I went to the county clerks office. I just knew it was required as you move from one county to another. I don't think there is anyway county officials are tracking the movement of pistol permit holders. I don't know what would have happened if they checked me and discovered I lived in a different county. I didn't take a chance to find out with Safe Act issues in the news.

So another law put into effect that nobody knows anything about ?! That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thank you

I am sure I have mentioned it at least a dozen times on hetre since the safe act was passed. However, most complained about all the political posts. Anyway the state police are going to be doing the checks. Then the information will be passed onto the county judge. You will receive a letter telling you when it needs to be done. There is basically 3 years left to do so. As usual, they are putting the finishing touches on the data to do so.
  • Like 2

No. The renewal wasn't by mail. I went to the county clerks office. I just knew it was required as you move from one county to another. I don't think there is anyway county officials are tracking the movement of pistol permit holders. I don't know what would have happened if they checked me and discovered I lived in a different county. I didn't take a chance to find out with Safe Act issues in the news.

I don't think anything would happen. It is a state wide permit. As long as you go through the issuing county, when ever you add or remove a handgun, I think you're good.

You don't "renew" you "Re certify". There is no expiration date on NYS permits so there is nothing to renew. From what I have heard, you will have to re certify that certain information on you permit is correct. Mainly are these handguns and serial #'s still on your permit.  But again the SAFE SCAM was pushed through so fast that the state probably isn't too sure on how to implement any off this.

Well if you think they will not do a criminal and other background check, you are mistaken

I think that at the 5 year mark (from the time the SAFE ACT ,second amendment violation took effect) the state will be overwhelmed. Then what? Is everyones  permit suspended until they can figure out what to do or until they run new background checks on everyone??  

I doubt it. I can see it being a simple online "yes-no" re-up or it being S-canned like the ammo background check was.

I think that at the 5 year mark (from the time the SAFE ACT ,second amendment violation took effect) the state will be overwhelmed. Then what? Is everyones permit suspended until they can figure out what to do or until they run new background checks on everyone??

I doubt it. I can see it being a simple online "yes-no" re-up or it being S-canned like the ammo background check was.

. You can see whatever you want to see. I am telling you what it is supposed to be. I also never said it would be up and running. I also never said everyone would be suspended if the state does not have it going. Again I simply stated what the law says. After that you can let your imagination run wild. That is up to you, not me. I could explain in more detail, but, I believe you were one of the main complainers about all the political posts if I recall correctly , so I will leave it at that.

. You can see whatever you want to see. I am telling you what it is supposed to be. I also never said it would be up and running. I also never said everyone would be suspended if the state does not have it going. Again I simply stated what the law says. After that you can let your imagination run wild. 

yup....