Bot Fly holes, one in each main beam.

nycredneck

Shot this deer this year and did some research on the holes I found. Turns out they are made by Bot Flies which are inside the deer and work their way into the antler during the velvet stage because of greater blood flow and I suspect an easy exit once larvae hatch. When they do hatch they leave holes which are very cool looking.

post-1433-0-05118900-1452554678_thumb.jp

post-1433-0-56019800-1452554691_thumb.jp 

• Like 4

Yes wildcat, that's the article I was directed to as well.

If you really want to see some gross Botfly stuff just do a Youtube search for botflies in deer, mice, rabbits AND humans.

The video on Roe deer with a very common nasal infestation was incredible, the guy was doing a Euro and pulled out at least a dozen. Seems in female as well as male deer they like to go into the nasal cavity .

Edited by nycredneck

Yes wildcat, that's the article I was directed to as well.

If you really want to see some gross Botfly stuff just do a Youtube search for botflies in deer, mice, rabbits AND humans.

I can remember cottontails with "warbles" when I was very young in the mid '50s.

Later, when I was hunting squirrels in S. Indiana in the '80s & '90s I saw a few grays with them, but never any fox squirrels.

That is what made me believe that the tougher hide of the fox squirrels kept the flies from burrowing "in" when the opposite might have been the case with the larvae burrowing "out"..

In all those cases, one could see a gray grub like worm. I still skinned the grays & found no evidence of the grubs in the meat, just the skin.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

My hound had a bot fly on him a few years ago. Luckily I caught it quick. Nasty things! Interesting that they end up in the antler. The one my dog had was sticking out of his shoulder as it was eating him. You can't just rip them out. I had to put super glue on it so that it suffocated and let go. Then I could remove it. Still left a hole about that big around and 1/4" deep in his shoulder. I think it had only been in there 2 days tops.  

• 6 years later...
On 1/11/2016 at 6:25 PM, nycredneck said:

Shot this deer this year and did some research on the holes I found. Turns out they are made by Bot Flies which are inside the deer and work their way into the antler during the velvet stage because of greater blood flow and I suspect an easy exit once larvae hatch. When they do hatch they leave holes which are very cool looking.

post-1433-0-05118900-1452554678_thumb.jp

post-1433-0-56019800-1452554691_thumb.jp 

Got an 8 point with the bow in 2020 that had one on the right side antler beam. My brother got a buck a few years prior that had one. Up until then had never seen one