Thinking about buying new arrows.....

Deadhunter25

Hey everyone so I have been using the maxima blues for a few years now and generally have nothing but excellent things to say about them but i am considering trying the bloodsport arrows specifically the bloodsport judgement arrows. What do you all think of the bloodsports/ what kind of arrows do you guys recommend?

Ps i just purchased a 2015 bowtech prodigy im pulling at 65lbs

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I had gold tip for a few years before switching to CE. I just like always trying to gain an advantage on the deer. Just not sure if i would be gaining much by switching from CE to bloodsport although the bloodsports got that cool bloodring and a built in lighted knock. Sometimes the knocks dont go off on the CE

Ha-ha .... Don't ask me. I'm still shooting XX-75 autumn orange aluminum arrows, and Game-getter aluminums....lol.

attachicon.gifarrows1.JPG

attachicon.gifarrows3.JPG

If they are camo like the ones on the right, they are Gamegetter IIs & are the same quality as XX75s.

The standard dark green Gamegetters were just dyed and would bend easily while the GG II was anodized just like the AO XX75s.

Anodizing is very very hard & adds to the resistance to taking a bend set.

I used 2117 GG IIs & XX75s for a few years before I discovered the advantages of wood as a hunting arrow.

Edited by wildcat junkie

If they are camo like the ones on the right, they are Gamegetter IIs & are the same quality as XX75s.

The standard dark green Gamegetters were just dyed and would bend easily while the GG II was anodized just like the AO XX75s.

Anodizing is very very hard & adds to the resistance to taking a bend set.

I used 2117 GG IIs & XX75s for a few years before I discovered the advantages of wood as a hunting arrow.

Yes as you can see there are all kinds of aluminums stirred in there. Unless an arrow was bent beyond straightening, or broken, I saved every arrow I ever bought. And a lot of those are still serviceable and killing deer yet.

I am not cheap ..... honest I'm not .... lol. ..... Well maybe a little. Actually I prefer the term "frugal". It sounds better. Or another way of looking at it is, "If it's not broken, don't fix it.

• Like 2

What do you all think of the bloodsports/ what kind of arrows do you guys recommend?

I love my Bloodsports, have been shooting them for (2) years now.  I went with the Impact Hunters (with the Flare lighted knocks) wanting to shoot the smaller diameter arrow for increased penetration.  The only complaint that I have is that I can't use half my targets as they blow right through them.  Was not expecting that.  I have shot Beman and CE mostly before, but I feel that the Bloodsports are the toughest arrows that I have ever owned.  Can't believe I have gotten a few of the arrows back after lodging in far shoulders and going for some rough rides.  Only had one break or get damaged beyond repair in two years.  I tend to be tough on arrows for some reason, always hitting nocks and ripping veins.  I loved shooting groups but can't do that much anymore as it gets to be a pain to fix them up.  Unlucky I guess.

Now comes my only complaint about them.  Apparently Muddy - or at least their arrow division -  was bought out by Barnett (if I remember correctly).  I would make sure you can buy nocks for whatever you buy, maybe even make sure its a standard size.  I have just (4) Flare nocks left, and cannot find them on line to purchase separately.  I contacted the company and they gave me the exact size to order.  I bought that size on line, and they did not fit.  Wasn't happy, contacted them again and explained the situation.  They asked for pictures, which I sent them.  He said he figured it out and would mail me the four he had on hand AND was planning to mail me another dozen for my use.  When I got the four in the mail...they did not fit again.  I contacted them again, told them not to bother mailing the other dozen out as they were useless.  Never heard back from them.  But the package of (12) nocks showed up at my house a week later.  Now I have 28 nocks that I will likely never use and can't get nocks to fit my arrows still.  Hopefully they figure this out by spring.

Be careful to make sure you can get what you need from them down the road, and unless things have changed don't expect their "technical support" to be of much help.  Apparently they are very new to the arrow side of the business, or at least everyone I dealt with there was.

• Like 1

if you just hunt and practice at modest distances out to say 50 yards then you don't really need the straightest arrow.  just makes sure both nock and insert ends are square as possible.  I shot the Goldtip Expeditions for a long time and practiced further than I mentioned.  Easton makes a lot of great arrows too.

I love my Bloodsports, have been shooting them for (2) years now. I went with the Impact Hunters (with the Flare lighted knocks) wanting to shoot the smaller diameter arrow for increased penetration. The only complaint that I have is that I can't use half my targets as they blow right through them. Was not expecting that. I have shot Beman and CE mostly before, but I feel that the Bloodsports are the toughest arrows that I have ever owned. Can't believe I have gotten a few of the arrows back after lodging in far shoulders and going for some rough rides. Only had one break or get damaged beyond repair in two years. I tend to be tough on arrows for some reason, always hitting nocks and ripping veins. I loved shooting groups but can't do that much anymore as it gets to be a pain to fix them up. Unlucky I guess.

Now comes my only complaint about them. Apparently Muddy - or at least their arrow division - was bought out by Barnett (if I remember correctly). I would make sure you can buy nocks for whatever you buy, maybe even make sure its a standard size. I have just (4) Flare nocks left, and cannot find them on line to purchase separately. I contacted the company and they gave me the exact size to order. I bought that size on line, and they did not fit. Wasn't happy, contacted them again and explained the situation. They asked for pictures, which I sent them. He said he figured it out and would mail me the four he had on hand AND was planning to mail me another dozen for my use. When I got the four in the mail...they did not fit again. I contacted them again, told them not to bother mailing the other dozen out as they were useless. Never heard back from them. But the package of (12) nocks showed up at my house a week later. Now I have 28 nocks that I will likely never use and can't get nocks to fit my arrows still. Hopefully they figure this out by spring.

Be careful to make sure you can get what you need from them down the road, and unless things have changed don't expect their "technical support" to be of much help. Apparently they are very new to the arrow side of the business, or at least everyone I dealt with there was.

Thanks for the advice. I was also reading up on the smaller diameter shaft do you think they still get good KE with the small shaft?

as each year goes by I think more and more about using lighted nocks. they really do help you find arrows.

Lighted knocks are great. Not only does it make finding your arrow easier (which will save you money if you take a lot of shots) but it also helps you to see where your shot is going when you are in those low light scenarios (dawn and dusk)

I've used Gold Tips for years now and doubt I'll ever need/want to switch. I shoot the velocity pro's for 3D and Velocity hunters for deer. For the price I doubt you'll find a better arrow. Its easy to fall into the hype and marketing crap but honestly it doesn't take a superarrow to kill deer. Just make sure your bow is tuned and your arrow fly's true, shoot a medium/heavy weight GPI and you'll never have a problem. I am a bit anal over shaft straightness/tolerance even though it doesn't make a big difference to the average shooter, its comforting knowing it, that's why I shoot the PRO line.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I was also reading up on the smaller diameter shaft do you think they still get good KE with the small shaft?

When kinetic energy is held constant arrow diameter is the determining factor in arrow penetration (using the same broad head of course).  The smaller diameter arrows certainly penetrate farther.  Add to this the fact that they don't have as much wind drag due to profile, there are some advantages with the smaller diameter.  That said there are advantages to the larger diameter arrows as well.  

If I understand correctly the arrow manufacturers typically increase the thickness of the walls when they design the smaller diameter arrows for two reasons.  First to make them tougher (instead of weaker if produced with similar thickness as the larger arrows), and secondly to maintain the kinetic energy referenced to above.  Even with smaller profile they would not match penetration if they didn't have added thickness and weight to keep the KE.  I like the strength and toughness this provides as well.