NY village agrees to hire federal sharpshooters to cull deer

Uptown Redneck

If I'm not mistaken Green lakes used to allow deer hunting.  I'm not sure when they stopped but a few weeks ago I was researching what state parks allow hunting and came across a reference that said Green lakes no longer allows any form of hunting on the grounds.  That is a serious shame since their numbers are severely overpopulated and since the old Erie Canal borders the property creating a water barrier they won't cross until frozen, the deer numbers are way out of control.

• Like 1

Local police force shoots non antlered deer in February ( which means all , nice loop hole eh ). Stiglemeir park in Cheektowaga for those familiar with it. You cannot drive past that place at night without almost hitting one with vehicle. They shoot suppressed .308's All done on the DL Heard 43 2 years ago as their total.

Local police force shoots non antlered deer in February ( which means all , nice loop hole eh ). Stiglemeir park in Cheektowaga for those familiar with it. You cannot drive past that place at night without almost hitting one with vehicle. They shoot suppressed .308's All done on the DL Heard 43 2 years ago as their total.

Effective as hell.........

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard, the Village idiots and Gov idiots really are stupid, they complain about bow hunters letting the deer suffer so they decide to allow gun hunters? Thats more disturbing for the residents near by than the deer suffering that cause accidents and destruction in the first place, feel bad for those bow hunter who practiced for these idiots to hunt the deer and now wont even be allowed to do so.

Not in the village limits.. no... and the deer are thicker than crows in the village limits... Part of the village is adjacent to Green Lakes State Parks... which holds an unbelievable amount of deer and some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen. No hunting allowed there either. This is a relatively affluent neighborhood with lots and lots of tree huggers for residents.

This post is all anyone needs to know about the whole situation.

• Like 1

My cousin lives in Fayetteville and contracted Lyme Disease.She told me a plan to allow bow hunting was met with protests and cancelled.Looks like this is the result. Sounds like the State Park should have allowed hunting before now but it is easy for me to say that because hindsight is 20/20.

The deer ticks are NUTS in that area... the park  has tried for the last 30 years to have a bow only season which has been met with the same resistance as the Fayetteville bow hunt in all of those 30 years.

The deer ticks are NUTS in that area... the park has tried for the last 30 years to have a bow only season which has been met with the same resistance as the Fayetteville bow hunt in all of those 30 years.

I feel if the local residents are the ones objecting to the removal of deer by means of hunters, they should be the ones footing the bill for these sharp shooters. If that was the case, I don't think I'll have an issue with them doing so.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I've got to be honest about all of this. You couldn't pay me to hunt in the urban/suburban areas. I just wouldn't do it. I watched that program a few years back  called "Chasing Tail" or something like that. I have no interest in participating in that kind of fiasco. What kind of camo do you use? ...... Something with a rhododendron pattern. Do you use an old rusty Volkswagen bus for a blind? Do you wave at your neighbor when he comes out in his pajamas in the morning to get his paper? And when you shoot a deer and it runs over into the neighbor-kid's sandbox to die, do you have to wear some protective gear to shield against the screaming and crying kids that are throwing stones at you as you drag the bloody carcass away?

That's hunting? Let the damn sharpshooters do it, I don't want anything to do with it. Besides, these residents who hate our guts and don't want us there need to live with the problems of car collisions, landscape damage, and Lyme ticks and such. My attitude is let the situation rot and fester until they are begging us to come in and fix their problem. All of a sudden, hunters will become their best friends.

nyantler points out the issue with this...and I agree with your  last part of post Doc...the problem is...these people are not limited to just there urban /suburban areas...they are packing up there dogs /kayaks and hiking boots. Then heading out to the state parks and wild life units...and the state panders to them...So when Lyme cases increase there and the whining starts...The state has an excuse to do what they do...under think ,overreact,and screw things up for down the road...

• Like 1

There is really no other way to do it guys as much as it sucks.  You think there really gonna give bowhunters a special season in these areas hanging off there property lines , walking through there yards, barely any woods to fit all these hunters.  I work over by vassar college and you have to see the size of the bucks living right near the school in the city of poughkeepsie that alot of people and hunters knew about.  The sharp shooters shot just about every deer in there including some giant bucks.  It is a shame but there really was no other way.

• Like 2

This town is only a mile or so from me... what you may not know is that there was a plan already in place to allow bow hunter to do this job... it was suppose to have begun a month or so ago and was postponed by the village ( I'm assuming there was some backlash by some of the residents ) .

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/11/fayetteville_bait-and-kill_deer.html.

the plan: http://fayettevilleny.gov/NewsAndInformation/VillageNews/DownloadFile.aspx?id=1253

Not in the village limits.. no... and the deer are thicker than crows in the village limits... Part of the village is adjacent to Green Lakes State Parks... which holds an unbelievable amount of deer and some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen. No hunting allowed there either. This is a relatively affluent neighborhood with lots and lots of tree huggers for residents.

The deer ticks are NUTS in that area... the park  has tried for the last 30 years to have a bow only season which has been met with the same resistance as the Fayetteville bow hunt in all of those 30 years.

I've hunted property next to the state park during bow season and trust me, nyantler is right about the neighbors and resistance! They just want them gone without the "mess" There is some great deer over there but they're almost domesticated. 

This area reminds me very much of the Ithaca area. Affluent and frankly difficult to deal with. I once had permission from a developer to hunt near Ithaca and we only had one problem after getting 3-4 beautiful bucks over a period of 5 years, with our bows. 

The last one we got made it about 400 yards before expiring, in a neighbors yard, while he was cooking at his grill. By the time we tracked it law enforcement was there, including the DEC. Guy was an absolute jerk about it, wanted us arrested for hunting (Sheriff deputy was going to write us a ticket, DEC educated him that we were very much legally hunting, and that even gun was legal where we were hunting). 

When we emerged from woods we could see all the law there (2 sheriffs, one DEC) and we went out to the road and approached them, basically apologizing for their aggravation. DEC was great complaining about the people who want the deer gone, like *poof, you're gone, cause we said so* and then cause us this problem. He checked our licenses and tags and was ecstatic we had a permission slip, legally written by our friends attorney.

After getting berated by the owner the DEC asked the homeowner if we could tag the deer and the guy went nuts, saying no. I asked if we could leave and he said, "sorry guys." 

So we left, taking the long way around back to our vehicle. 

When we  were leaving a cop pulls up behind us lights on and we're like, WTF? 

It was DEC guy. He said, "Hey guys, if you want this beautiful buck, it's yours and it's on me (he tagged it)" 

Of course we took it. 

These people are their own worst enemies with deer. 

I won't hunt Green Lakes area because of the neighbors. 

• Like 6

It's part of the entitlement mentality. People move to the suburbs and exurbs, at least partly, to be 'closer to nature'. But they fully expect that nature will abide by their terms.

They only want to get rid of the deer that browse on their carefully cultivated plantings, and the ones that insist on jumping in front of their cars.

They enjoy watching the rest of the deer, much like they enjoy their electric fireplaces.

• Like 2

You think there really gonna give bowhunters a special season in these areas hanging off there property lines , walking through there yards, barely any woods to fit all these hunters. 

Actually it has been done ( http://www.history.com/shows/chasing-tail/about ), and is still being done in a big time way ( http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/urban-archery/ ) and is a very common practice. urban and suburban "hunting" (if you want to call it that) is a widely accepted practice. I have a different view on it all including whether it should be done at all, but there are many areas of the country that disagrees with me on that.

There is really no other way to do it guys as much as it sucks.  You think there really gonna give bowhunters a special season in these areas hanging off there property lines , walking through there yards, barely any woods to fit all these hunters.  I work over by vassar college and you have to see the size of the bucks living right near the school in the city of poughkeepsie that alot of people and hunters knew about.  The sharp shooters shot just about every deer in there including some giant bucks.  It is a shame but there really was no other way.

There is plenty of woods in the area to hunt... as well as the park if necessary... the problem is not having enough room for hunters... it's more about where the deer might possibly expire... which could be in someones back yard as they are grilling or the kids are playing on the swingset...  :)

The reality is that this could have been handled years ago... they knew there was a problem, but were reluctant to allow hunting in the state park and surrounding areas because of the resistance from the local tree huggers. Local Government officials have no backbone when it comes to pissing off the liberal residents. If not for the danger of deer vs automobile... they should just let the populations explode and laugh at those same residents as they flip out when their property gets destroyed by the deer.

nyantler points out the issue with this...and I agree with your  last part of post Doc...the problem is...these people are not limited to just there urban /suburban areas...they are packing up there dogs /kayaks and hiking boots. Then heading out to the state parks and wild life units...and the state panders to them...So when Lyme cases increase there and the whining starts...The state has an excuse to do what they do...under think ,overreact,and screw things up for down the road...

The deer tick problem was the straw that broke the camels back, for just the reason you say... the locals use the park for all kinds of recreational activities... you can't use that park without coming home with a tick or three... some folks can't even use there own yards any more because of the ticks... the worry over Lyme caused a huge uproar, sparking the tree huggers to unload on the local government to do something immediately about the problem... as long as the answer didn't involve allowing hunters to help solve the problem. Just being able to bow hunt the park during the entire hunting season would help immensely... and generate revenue for the park from the sale of daily hunting permits. The park is huge and is the refuge for most of the deer that frequent the neighborhoods which are surrounded by much of the park.

• Like 1