What really irritates you when your hunting ?

fasteddie

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pockets..I amglad your gramp can walk...unfortunately a lot can not. So I guess if it was your way..a lot of hunters who turn 60 are not allowed to hunt anymore because they may have to use their 4 wheeler to get in.

60? You think people at 60 can't go any more? Man don't tell my dad that, he can walk circles around guys half his age and he is not in the best shape any more..and he is 64.

I just wonder how many guys usuing atv's are driving around with their guns unloaded like they are supose to? Wonder what would happen if we had enough dec officers to ticket loaded guns on motor veh, or hunting from? Maybe we could close nys cash crisis just in fines, and lower my property tax!!!  lol..

I just wonder how many guys usuing atv's are driving around with their guns unloaded like they are supose to? Wonder what would happen if we had enough dec officers to ticket loaded guns on motor veh, or hunting from? Maybe we could close nys cash crisis just in fines, and lower my property tax!!!  lol..

Gman, it seems that you don't use an ATV to get around good for you. But why suggest that those who do, ride around with loaded guns. Where I hunt they are used all the time  just to get to your stand and to get out at night. We are all ethical hunters. Plus it is easier to transport the deer out of the woods if you are successful. We have our own land and don't bother any other hunters.

Dave

Doewhacker..read the earlier posts..Steve suggest that when people get older and do not get around as good as they use to they should find something else to do...pretty much an idiotic statement!!!!!!!!!

Another pastime of mine happens to be hiking.  It is something I can do with my wife and other family members who don't hunt.  If and when I am not able to hike the trails any longer I will NOT be substituting an ATV for my feet and legs.  Neither will it be used for hunting when I am no longer able to carry myself afield.  So you can call my statement idiotic all you want.  I will NOT put extra burdens on others just because I want to continue to hunt.  If I can't walk I will stay home and take up other more sedate pastimes like knitting or needlepoint as should others who can't hack it any longer.

Doewhacker..read the earlier posts..Steve suggest that when people get older and do not get around as good as they use to they should find something else to do...pretty much an idiotic statement!!!!!!!!!

Another pastime of mine happens to be hiking.  It is something I can do with my wife and other family members who don't hunt.  If and when I am not able to hike the trails any longer I will NOT be substituting an ATV for my feet and legs.  Neither will it be used for hunting when I am no longer able to carry myself afield.  So you can call my statement idiotic all you want.  I will NOT put extra burdens or interfere with others just because I want to continue to hunt.  If I can't walk I will stay home and take up other more sedate pastimes like knitting or needlepoint as should others who can't hack it any longer.

Besides people with disabilities, I agree on the ATV thing. Too gung ho for me. Unless you have 1000 acres or something, then ok fine, but say a square 100 acres, you will walk end to end in about 10 minutes, no?

NO, I would like to see who can walk a 100 acre parcel in 10 minutes. Remember that the hunting population is getting older and we can't walk at 60 like we did at 25. We have a club and are on private property and we all have atv's. If we didn't, half the guys wouldn't be hunting today. It extends their ability to still pursue the sport they have loved for over 30 yrs.

Dave

I walk as well at 51 as I did at 25.. maybe better.. and I can absolutely walk across a 100 acre square in 10 minutes.. in my opinion many guys could do the walk just fine but are too lazy..getting older is not always an excuse

Ok mark it down, this is one of the first times I agree with Nyantler, never thought I would see this day.

Dave, I'm glad you guys behave on yours but it is true there are guys out there who DO NOT follow the simplest safety rules. It seems that the ATV has made it on to the list of required items for hunting today for alot of guys. To me its not a race to see who can make it to the stand faster and louder, I prefer to walk and see sign and deer instead, much safer that way too.

Go figure. Some members routinely play the devil's advocate.

After having a disc surgery in 08...I simply have a very difficult time moving a deer. I seriously doubt I could get a deer out solo in areas such as letchworth in a reasonable amount of time (for example). I could drag one deer out on my farmland hunting area, but it'd take more than a while, and I run an increased risk for reinjury. I blew my disc out due to a deer drag, so don't tell me it doesn't happen.

I only use a 4 wheeler to pull deer or set/remove stands (and that's not all the time either). I'm simply not going to stop hunting (still in my 20's) because I greatly benefit from an atv (or truck through the fields) being used to help me drag a deer. Although I don't use an atv to walk in, out, or to do anything else, I still feel those who use ATVs should not be chastized when they are on their property. Now, if they're tresspassing.....that's clearly a wrong.

I think some people are missing their bottles here. Oh no, they don't walk? I can understand if the people complaining were shooting wood arrows and flint broadheads on a bow they made themselves out of wood from their hunting property. But no, it's coming from people shooting high performance rifles, mz, shotguns, gore tex, thinsulate, hand warmers, carbon clothing, range finders, blah blah blah blah. I understand atv noise/intrusion bothers you...as long as they aren't on your ground, then there's nothing to complain about. I compeltely understand when they're not supposed to be there due to law/permission.

Steve- I'm not sure your passion for the outdoors is rooted as deeply as some others. If, and when I ever get to that point I will find a way to continue to do what I enjoy, not limit myself to accomodate others feelings. Pretty clear line between disability and physical and mental inability. Folks with true disabilities seem to have more desire to overcome while the latter lack more of the motivation and just plain give up.

Joe- I got 100 acres that says you cant cross it in 10. :)  I'd bet the farm on it.....(not my farm, but a farm none the less)

Dave, i think many hunters are ethical, but i do wonder how many atv users really follow the law to the letter, i have seen deer run from spotlights,atv's,snowmobiles they must be conditioned this way (usually being shot at) deer will get use to atv,tractors, ect. if they are ridden everyday in a non threatning mannor and will let you ride by without moving(your not a threat). My neighbors uses an atv and i don't have a problem with them being used to get someone to the woods,or a tractor for that matter. or for retreving game. I just am amazed at the numbers of hunters that show up a weekend or even a day before and go tearing thru the woods to check stands,or sight in guns, and then complain that there are no deer! Ask the farmer or residents in the area you hunt in there are deer! Its just they have all been put on high alert by the mass incursion of sights and sounds brought by the precurser to opening day, and have reatreated to a quiet section of cover free of these incursions.

Besides people with disabilities, I agree on the ATV thing. Too gung ho for me. Unless you have 1000 acres or something, then ok fine, but say a square 100 acres, you will walk end to end in about 10 minutes, no?

NO, I would like to see who can walk a 100 acre parcel in 10 minutes. Remember that the hunting population is getting older and we can't walk at 60 like we did at 25. We have a club and are on private property and we all have atv's. If we didn't, half the guys wouldn't be hunting today. It extends their ability to still pursue the sport they have loved for over 30 yrs.

Dave

I walk as well at 51 as I did at 25.. maybe better.. and I can absolutely walk across a 100 acre square in 10 minutes.. in my opinion many guys could do the walk just fine but are too lazy..getting older is not always an excuse

Guys lets get real for most of you who don't use ATV's you probably hunt State land or someone's elses property who don't allow the use of atv's. Maybe if you had your own property you would use them. Remember not all hunters have the land to even use an atv. If you have only 5-20 acres then you probably walk in that makes sense. But if you have 500 acres to hunt and your stand is at the furthest part of the property an atv makes sense. Maybe you don't want to spring for the atv when you have to lay out the big bucks you think twice. And it's cheaper to walk.

Dave

well i love reading all your post . so now i have to chime in . i dont get irritated out in the woods when i am hunting :)  i love to listen to the birds , watch the squrriels , watch the hunters walk back and forth , listen to the hunter down on the other side of the hill yelling i got him woooohoooo, it all beats being in the house or at work :P plus i get to spend the time with one of the best hunting buddies i known  my sister and her husband :) famliy you got to love that .

Joe- I got 100 acres that says you cant cross it in 10. :)  I'd bet the farm on it.....(not my farm, but a farm none the less)

A 100 acre square is 10acres by 10 acres 10 acres would be about 2000 feet.. I think I can walk 2000 feet in 10 minutes.. and if it was a rectangle I would just walk the short side.. :P  I own 6 acres.. approx 150x1600

I can walk it the long way in 5 minutes.. i could use another farm to hunt

Steve- I'm not sure your passion for the outdoors is rooted as deeply as some others. If, and when I ever get to that point I will find a way to continue to do what I enjoy, not limit myself to accomodate others feelings. Pretty clear line between disability and physical and mental inability. Folks with true disabilities seem to have more desire to overcome while the latter lack more of the motivation and just plain give up.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with passion.  I have enough common sense to know when enough is enough and simply come to a decision that hunting is no longer something I would be able to do.  Sooner or later everyone faces their limitations in many facets of life.  If I can't hunt, I will take up other hobbies that I CAN do.  I will not burden others with my inabilities.  Those who think they couldn't live without hunting obviously have not experienced much else.  Lots of other things can be enjoyable as well.

well i love reading all your post . so now i have to chime in . i dont get irritated out in the woods when i am hunting :)  i love to listen to the birds , watch the squrriels , watch the hunters walk back and forth , listen to the hunter down on the other side of the hill yelling i got him woooohoooo, it all beats being in the house or at work :P plus i get to spend the time with one of the best hunting buddies i known  my sister and her husband :) famliy you got to love that .

Now that's what I'm talking about!..perfect!

A+