Advice on Used Treestands

So my Dad is getting close to buying a piece of property (different one from last time). Anyway, the property has 3 treestands on it, which the current owner wants to leave since he is relocating to another part of the country.

I only walked the property once, but I do remember that each of the 3 stands are all ladder stands, and all single seats. 2 of them looked very new, don't remember seeing any rust. 1 of them the seat looked like it got chewed up by squirrels or something.

As neither of us have ever hunted from a treestand, what would be the best way to handle these existing stands? I was thinking of inspecting them really good and then replacing all the straps? of course, we would need to buy safety harnesses.

A separate question, on safety harnesses....you climb the ladder and then attach your harness to what at the top? and on the way up, do you attach your harness to each rung as you go up?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for being uneducated in this regard.

I never really used a safety harness when using a ladder stand. Probably somewhat silly on my part but I'd get a lifeline and attach that as you go up the stand and you're already strapped to the tree from the get go just in case the worst happens

You Can't Beat My Meat!

• Like 1

My ladder stand has been up for about 10 years with no signs of wear except for a few chewed holes in seat pad. You'd never know its been there that long otherwise. Yes , inspect the current straps and or replace/ add new ones. Ratchet straps work well.

As far as climbing with a harness. I climb with it not hooked up as you pretty much have 3 points of contact on rungs at all times. Once up I attach my tether. I use a vest. A lot easier to get into in the dark.

Wait to you see how much better a field of view you have and how the deer walk directly below you. You could literally kill deer by dropping bricks on them lol.

Congrats on the new property

A couple of climbing steps screwed in up top make for a nice place to hang your gun and backpack , jacket etc.

• Like 3

I never really used a safety harness when using a ladder stand. Probably somewhat silly on my part but I'd get a lifeline and attach that as you go up the stand and you're already strapped to the tree from the get go just in case the worst happens

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Thanks, but what is a lifeline and how is it different from a full-body harness?

Inspect the stands and replace the straps . I climb up and clip,into a pre hung strap that goes around the tree at a heigh that allows you to sit with just a bit of slack in harness teather .

One could tie off a rope at the point the strap is , tie a Prusik knot ( self tensioning hitch) onto the rope and clip into that on the ground and slid knot up,as you go .

I climb ladders much higher than anyone's ladder stand while wearing 80 pounds of gear in all kinds of weather , so,I don't feel the need to use a safety line for ladder stands, some may though .

Safety line withPrusik on one of my hang on sets.

post-253-0-54182200-1452700459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

My ladder stand has been up for about 10 years with no signs of wear except for a few chewed holes in seat pad. You'd never know its been there that long otherwise. Yes , inspect the current straps and or replace/ add new ones. Ratchet straps work well.

As far as climbing with a harness. I climb with it not hooked up as you pretty much have 3 points of contact on rungs at all times. Once up I attach my tether. I use a vest. A lot easier to get into in the dark.

Wait to you see how much better a field of view you have and how the deer walk directly below you. You could literally kill deer by dropping bricks on them lol.

Congrats on the new property

A couple of climbing steps screwed in up top make for a nice place to hang your gun and backpack , jacket etc.

The deal isn't done yet, but hopefully soon.

When you say you attach to a "tether", what do you mean? another rope that is tied around the tree? I'm guess I'm trying to envision if the stand gave way and fell down. How does the full body harness attached to rope hold against the tree and not slide down? then if you were hanging there 15-20' up, how do you get down?

Thanks all. I guess the part im still lost on is what you attach your harness to when you get to the top? and how would you get down if you were hanging there.

there is a strap that secures around the tree that is separate from the body harness.....when you get to the top, you take the tether that's on the harness and hook it onto the strap that's around the tree. How do you get down?.....good question. The tether is a 3' or so line that hangs off the back of the harness and attaches to the strap that is around the tree.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Thanks all. I guess the part im still lost on is what you attach your harness to when you get to the top? and how would you get down if you were hanging there.

It attaches to a strap around the tree.  How do you get down if it hit the fan, you either use your cell or hope someone comes looking.  Not to diminish the risk, but many ladder stands are only 12' high or so.  if you were hanging from the strap, the drop would likely be 6-8'.  Something you could likely manage when prepared even if you cut the strap yourself at your age.

• Like 1

Call for help on phone, if you,own the land and or have a camp keep a ladder chained up somewhere.

Ladder stands may be the hardest to my thinking to get back into, you're type with no side rails, shooting rails and such may not be to bad . Try to put both feet against trunk , push out hard and fast and try to reach beams and or rungs. On many trunks and a ladder stand one who's in shape can wrap both legs and one arm around trunk, cut teather and slide down .

You've hit upon something most never think about much less plan for.

I keep a long rope , carabiner, and straps in my pack and can get someone down with this by doing a pick off. Basically rigging up my own rope transferring you from yours to mine and lowering you down .

I've hung from hunting harness and paracticed one thing to keep in mind is they ride up very far , so keep as tight as comfortable , it may also limit access to pockets once you're hanging in it.

Edited by Larry302

You don't want to hang long ,keep a k if handy, ideally you get back in the stand, if it fell away, I hope your bear hugging skill are great or you have a cell and help is close by....

yes, I would think circulation in legs would be bad after too long a hang.

Now I know my strap has threads sewing it together a bit that rip away for a slower fall supposedly. So once threads ripped after fall what do you do. Re sew ? Hope you don't do it again ? Just expect a more bone jarring fall ?

yes, I would think circulation in legs would be bad after too long a hang.

Now I know my strap has threads sewing it together a bit that rip away for a slower fall supposedly. So once threads ripped after fall what do you do. Re sew ? Hope you don't do it again ? Just expect a more bone jarring fall ?

There have been several deaths from Ill fitting harnesses from hanging, cutting off circulation. As to the original post I would take down the stand, inspect for any.broken split or damage, then put back up and spend the money on replacement straps, (most are only uv rate for 3 years.. ) and though they look good they can and will rip or just desinigrate. I suggest taken ing them down every year for inspection. That may seem like a lot but I do not put myself of friends in situation of possible death due to lazyness
  • Like 2

For you, your Dad, and friends sake. Do your homework on the subject and make sure everyone follows thru. There are ways to safely get down from a tree after a fall IF you are not injured. Another rope put around the tree with a Prussic knot will allow you to put your foot into it and stand etc... Help via phone is the best way after a fall.

Ol dog on a stray

• Like 1

I do this with new stands but always when maintenance is done every 2 years.

I spray every single weld and all of the attaching screws with Rustolium.  Then paint a camo pattern over the entire stand with a good metal paint, that's new stands.

Maintaining ...I take the stand down wire brush any rust and then re paint with Rustolium ...redo all of the welds(paint)...I take a rubber mallet and tap the tubing and listen for the "jingle" of falling rust flakes...IT'S THE RUST YOU DO NOT SEE THAT CAN KILL YOU...then after checking straps oil up the ratchet... But I always have a chain with painted links big enough to loosen, connected by either C linked or padlocked around the seat and tree .. that gets loosened every spring...trees don't grow in winter re-tighten in fall. or when you plan to use it

PS..... If you attach your tether above you  so it's barely taught as you sit down...you should never  be in a situation where your hanging...you can't fall below your stand.

Edited by growalot

...IT'S THE RUST YOU DO NOT SEE THAT CAN KILL YOU...

X2, The thing with all M/S steel tubing is that most of it is not coated on the inside and that is what is going to give you a problem rusting from the inside to the outside.

As Grow. said tapping with a mallet could show the above by the different tone of the sound.