What training and License to crossbow Hunt?

gpscoqn

Im trying to understand the NY requirements to crossbow hunt. Let me see if I have this right.

I attend hunter education class and buy a hunting license and muzzleloader tag.

This entitles me to hunt with a crossbow during the last 2 weeks of the regular archery season in the southern zone, which is the only time I can hunt.

I can take either a doe or a Buck with this tag. but not both.

I DO NOT need the Bowhunter education class or a bowhunting License.

Assuming I only want to hunt with a crossbow during the last 2 weeks of the southern zones archery season. Do I have this right???????

Thank You in advance

You need the Muzzle loading privilege (not a tag) to use a crossbow. Plus you need to sign and carry the certificate in the regs book. The muzzle loading tag is a BOW/MUZ tag. It is an identical to the BOW/MUZ tag you get with your bow hunting privilege except if you get both privileges one BOW/MUZ tag will be either sex and the other will be antlerless only. Still you need the Muzzle loading privilege (not a tag) to use a crossbow.  No, you don't need a bow hunter course unless you want the bow privilege and a second BOW/MUZ tag. In addition you can use your regular hunting season tag during muzzle loading season to take a deer of either sex with a crossbow.

Don't worry if this totally confuses you. There is a good chance things will change by October 2016. There may (likely) be  a requirement to take a bow hunter course to use a crossbow. Those of you without past archery privileges should keep and eye open for the change. If the change happens bowhunting classes could fill up. That is unless they devise a method of being crossbow certified online.

Are there any other instructors out there that have heard the same thing. 

• Like 1

Just my opinion. If you have never hunted with archery gear, it would be a huge benefit, to take the archery course, before hunting with a crossbow. Even though it's not required to take the archery course at this time. Hunting with a crossbow is far more similar to archery, than hunting with a muzzle loader.

• Like 5

You will need to purchase your regular big game license in addition to your ML permit to hunt those 2 weeks with the crossbow.   This will also allow you to get 1 or 2 DMP antlerless tags in some zones immediately, and another 2 after Nov 1 in the zones where the DEC is really struggling to get the deer population reduced.   This means that you could legally harvest (5) deer total during those two weeks in some zones, but only one with antlers.  In theory this might work, but the sad reality is that a few weeks of archery pressure puts most of the antlerless deer in those zones into the full-nocturnal mode prior to the opening of crossbow.   The only way I see the DEC getting the population under control in these areas is to allow the crossbow at the start of the archery season.   If they try letting the ML in early in these zones, as many think will happen, it will literally "backfire" with a bang, putting the antlerless deer "full-nocturnal" even earlier.             

You will need to purchase your regular big game license in addition to your ML permit to hunt those 2 weeks with the crossbow.   This will also allow you to get 1 or 2 DMP antlerless tags in some zones immediately, and another 2 after Nov 1 in the zones where the DEC is really struggling to get the deer population reduced.   This means that you could legally harvest (5) deer total during those two weeks in some zones, but only one with antlers.  In theory this might work, but the sad reality is that a few weeks of archery pressure puts most of the antlerless deer in those zones into the full-nocturnal mode prior to the opening of crossbow.   The only way I see the DEC getting the population under control in these areas is to allow the crossbow at the start of the archery season.   If they try letting the ML in early in these zones, as many think will happen, it will literally "backfire" with a bang, putting the antlerless deer "full-nocturnal" even earlier.             

Add the bow/muz tag that comes with bow privilege and there are six tags. Just being a nitpicker LOL. This year was not favorable for me. But I had enough tags to make a big batch of tag soup. It tasted very much like track soup but with body.

That's right, I forgot about that extra antlerless tag the bow permit could get him.    If only they could figure out a way to keep the antlerless deer out in the daytime after they start detecting all the extra human scent in woods, one could really rack them up with a crossbow during them two weeks.

FYI - The history behind all this confusion; Bills introduced to allow crossbows as archery equipment and could be used during bow season in ~2014. Huge lobbying movement against the proposal was backed by the NY Bow Hunters assoc(~2k membership), especially when bills hit the Environmental sub-committee for review. That is where the legislation got butchered or hacked up to make them (regulation wise) more like a ML than a bow and with the limited season as it has been the past 2yrs. BTW - The leader of that sub-committee is currently facing racketeering jail time, Skelos. Last spring there was new legislation to correct this faux pas, but it seemed to get buried or shelved and never materialized. Maybe in 2016 legislators will come to their senses...!?!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...