Finger Lakes and Western New York Waterfowl Hunters meeting/input

mike rossi

Hosted by Finger Lakes and Western New York Waterfowl Hunters

Sunday, February 7 at 10 AM - 1 PM
DEC Region 8  Office - 6274 Avon-Lima Rd. (Rtes. 5 and 20) Avon, NY 14414-9516

Please join us for discussions regarding 2015-16 waterfowl season results, a report from DEC Staff with bird banding information, tripod nesting updates, and other items.

This is a great opportunity for new members to get involved and network. Also a chance to have your voice be heard and join the team , if you are not already a member, before season setting task force sets key dates for the 2016-17 season.

Note: No RSVP required but If you can respond that would be appreciated so we can estimate headcount. We look forward to meeting with everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this open to non members? Was thinking about checking it out and possibly joining. Is it in the main DEC building?

Thanks

The notice I got said this:

Note: No RSVP required but If you can respond that would be appreciated so we can estimate headcount. We look forward to meeting with everyone.

next meeting is on 3/13 same time

this meeting will be what the organization will recommend for seasons at the task force season setting meeting

the public is welcome. the directors will work out what the group will recommend for seasons for 60,50, 40, and 30 days  all depends on how many days the fed’s give us. Then it will be presented in the open meeting for comments and changes. Then it will be presented at the task force meeting. One thing I will tell you there will always be a split season in this part of the state. there is a lot of info given out by the DEC & the FED's

next meeting is on 3/13 same time

this meeting will be what the organization will recommend for seasons at the task force season setting meeting

the public is welcome. the directors will work out what the group will recommend for seasons for 60,50, 40, and 30 days  all depends on how many days the fed’s give us. Then it will be presented in the open meeting for comments and changes. Then it will be presented at the task force meeting. One thing I will tell you there will always be a split season in this part of the state. there is a lot of info given out by the DEC & the FED's

I already emailed my comments in as an unorganized hunter.

For the western zone, I assumed 60 days would be granted under this years federal frameworks, and suggested October 1 to October 31 for the first split, and December 14 to January 12 for the second split. That does circumvent regular south zone deer season, but that was only part of my reason. 

The seasons have been starting too late and thereby not capturing the peak of wood duck migration, and ending too early. Especially during el nino years like this year, when calendar migrators like mallards don't move until later. There is always the chance of an early ice-lock up though, but I think 31 straight days in October when there are a lot of wood ducks and resident mallards around would ease the pain a little during those years  when we get a hard, early freeze. 

do you know who the task force REP. is for your area is? If not call the DEC HQ. in your area they will give you his phone number and e-mail. Have you ever been to a season setting task force meeting if not then you should go you won’t be allowed to say anything but it will let you see how the proses works. Just to let you know the dates you pick puts most of the goose season outside the duck season. Goose in this part of the state can’t open before the 4th Sat. in Oct. there will be push back on these dates.

do you know who the task force REP. is for your area is? If not call the DEC HQ. in your area they will give you his phone number and e-mail. Yes, I do, Here is all of them for those who do not: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/42364.html

Have you ever been to a season setting task force meeting if not then you should go you won’t be allowed to say anything but it will let you see how the proses works. 

Just to let you know the dates you pick puts most of the goose season outside the duck season. Goose in this part of the state can’t open before the 4th Sat. in Oct. there will be push back on these dates. Correct, federal framework does not allow setting Canada Goose season before around Oct. 22, except for the September season for sedentary Canada geese. Nevertheless, on a typical year, a lot of wood ducks are already moving into the area by October 1, and certainly by October 6 or so. I gave my honest input, if others disagree that is fine - I kill ducks and geese no matter what card I am handed. Here is some info on the likely federal frameworks for this season: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/wffedfrmewk16.pdf

Edited by mike rossi

Mike if past history is any indication then I can see coming out of the task force a 45 / 15 split or even a 50/10 split. The meeting I would like to sit in on would be the task force meeting on Long Island there will be no independent sea duck season, on Long Island. If I read the reg’s right sea ducks will become part of the regular bag limit. So the limit will be 6 birds and not 6 plus a 6 bird sea duck limit they are also going to have a loss of more than a 100 days (10/17 – 1/31)

I am not sure exactly what is going on with sea ducks. The special sea duck zone, season, and limits has been in effect since the 1960s or 70s I think.

There has been some chatter that some of the sea duck species are declining in population, unlike the vast majority of other ducks. Sea ducks are harder to survey (count) then other ducks as well is my understanding. 

There is also chatter about the improvement in equipment is or might be producing harvests that were not representative of 30 years ago. I am not sure I buy all that, but that is what some are suggesting. Simply reducing the bag limit may not be an option, because some sea duck hunters might argue that it isnt worth the motor fuel and the time to set up big rigs, tow layout boats, etc. for one or two ducks. Most of that is, as Jeb Bush says; "blow-hardin" as is the case of Canada geese - "oh, its not worth "settin op" for one or two birds. (Funny because in the 90s most of the Canada goose seasons were closed, and were open the limit was one). 

Like I alluded, perhaps arrogantly, I don't get too worked up about how the task force sets the seasons. They are required to keep to federal framework, so within that frame it is mostly social decisions, not biological. Yes, local hunters have a good handle on migration and how weather effects hunting in their area, but I am not sure how mindful they all are.

For example, a couple years ago I attended a NAVHDA training session. I had my entire pack with me and someone questioned the lab and the chessie. Naturally the conversation went to waterfowl hunting. The guy I was talking to, pointed to a guy that was as old as God, and said " he is on the season setting task force". At that time scaup were the concern, so I asked the task force dude about scaup. He didnt know what a scaup was. So I interchanged blue bill, he didnt know what a bluebill was, then I said broad bill... Then I said black head...  At that point I was shaking my head. 

So, I do go to fundraisers and pay my share, but as far as season - setting meetings I stay clear. 

Edited by mike rossi