.380 ACP vs 9MM

If you don't mind a bigger gun and price is a big issue, look at the S&W SV9DE. It a full sized gun for under 400 bucks. They have a long hard trigger but they are very reliable. I had one for a while and put about 500 rounds through it with not a single hiccup. I ended up selling it to someone on the is site and as far as I know he has had good luck with it.

It also comes in 40 S&W

• Like 1

A couple questions. how is your accuracy now? Sounds like the issue wasn't the ability of the pistol but you inexperience dealing with that size pistol. Same would be said for a subcompact. I agree there has to be shots on target and that is where "practice, practice and when you think you are good enough, practice more" come into play. Personally I wouldn't evaluate the capabilities of a CC weapon at the 15 yard mark. threat identification, yes, but engaging a threat will likely come at much closer rages.  How were you  "out of the box" at say 7 yards?

so my local range officer was a retired police firearm instructor. He got me shooting at 3 yards and 7. 90% of encounters are at this range. I shoot maybe once a month and I'm much, much better now. However, we'd be naive to think many guys shoot even close to this amount. All that came with practice and work on my form. I was almost dead on first time I shot a full size .45 1911, and similarly with a .22.

It's very similar to hunting in my opinion. Practice makes perfect.And it's not like riding a bike. You need to keep shooting to stay sharp. Additionally, like hunting with adrenaline and stress you're going to suffer. Thankfully I've never been in that situation with a handgun, but I know what it's like in the treestand. So with enough practice you can become proficient with any gun really. For the average joe, I'd always recommend increasing your odds with an easier to shoot gun.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

I think regardless of caliber, the one that is easiest to access and use during a self defense conflict is best........in a split second, something that is easily accessible in a pocket is much better then something you have to fumble with getting out of a holster for the average person....in most cases your already at a disadvantage because you're reacting to a threat that already has the upper hand.

I think regardless of caliber, the one that is easiest to access and use during a self defense conflict is best........in a split second, something that is easily accessible in a pocket is much better then something you have to fumble with getting out of a holster for the average person....in most cases your already at a disadvantage because you're reacting to a threat that already has the upper hand.

That is why i bought my glock and sdve. both have the safety trigger. It won't go off (shouldn't go off) without the trigger being depressed. Also that is the only safety so no lever to hit while trying to shoot it just pull the trigger until they fall.

That is why i bought my glock and sdve. both have the safety trigger. It won't go off (shouldn't go off) without the trigger being depressed. Also that is the only safety so no lever to hit while trying to shoot it just pull the trigger until they fall.

which opens up the debate on keeping one in the chamber or not. I know i'm losing time by keeping my chamber empty, but I just cant get myself to do it on a carry.

My kimber 1911 full frame .45 is my bedside gun. Most knockdown, least recoil and concealing isn't a concern.

I always have one chambered, in the heat of the moment you are going to remember you need to chamber a round or just try to start shooting. I like to have my guns setup the same so no matter which gun I pick up it is the same set of movements. Also doubles for my wife, i have a round chambered and she knows it so she knows she can just pick up the gun and shoot.

My .380 has around a 10lbs. trigger and I never have the safety on it. If it had a lighter trigger I would carry it with the safety on.

Edited by chas0218

I always have one chambered, in the heat of the moment you are going to remember you need to chamber a round or just try to start shooting. I like to have my guns setup the same so no matter which gun I pick up it is the same set of movements. Also doubles for my wife.

no matter which wife you pick up you handle the same???

• Like 1

which opens up the debate on keeping one in the chamber or not. I know i'm losing time by keeping my chamber empty, but I just cant get myself to do it on a carry.

My kimber 1911 full frame .45 is my bedside gun. Most knockdown, least recoil and concealing isn't a concern.

Not having one chambered doesn't make sense to me. Too many variables go into getting the gun into the fight!

I think a big factor that hasn't been brought up yet is what is your reasoning for carrying? Is it to protect yourself, is it to stop an attack on someone else etc etc. Everyone has a different reason for me it's for me and mine. If a guy is in a mall with an AK I'm protecting my family I'm not going on the assault and trying to get him or them. That's why I have no problem carrying a 380 for self defense. Realistically If I can't smell the bad guys breath I'm not shooting him.

Not having one chambered doesn't make sense to me. Too many variables go into getting the gun into the fight!

I think a big factor that hasn't been brought up yet is what is your reasoning for carrying? Is it to protect yourself, is it to stop an attack on someone else etc etc. Everyone has a different reason for me it's for me and mine. If a guy is in a mall with an AK I'm protecting my family I'm not going on the assault and trying to get him or them. That's why I have no problem carrying a 380 for self defense. Realistically If I can't smell the bad guys breath I'm not shooting him.

Good point. Let me ask though. isn't not having one in the pipe akin to letting a threat get that close before being willing to act. Reading the studies and seeing the videos on the 21' line kind of opened my eyes. You are 110% correct in anyone carrying should play the scenario in their head and really really ask "what am i prepared to do?" I firmly believe that pulling a gun an not being prepared or willing to use it can be worse than not having it. Some threats may flee at the sight but other may escalate. 

• Like 1

Good point. Let me ask though. isn't not having one in the pipe akin to letting a threat get that close before being willing to act. Reading the studies and seeing the videos on the 21' line kind of opened my eyes. You are 110% correct in anyone carrying should play the scenario in their head and really really ask "what am i prepared to do?" I firmly believe that pulling a gun an not being prepared or willing to use it can be worse than not having it. Some threats may flee at the sight but other may escalate.

No, I don't, I would rather BG think I'm unarmed until I need to kill him rather than be struggling to try to get my gun in action that the BG knows I have.

it's a subject that is indeed controversial. I don't fault anyone for keeping one in the pipe. My lcp and glock don't have button or grip safeties so maybe that's part of it. I grew up hunting with long guns. All had safeties and my father beat it into my head. Rightfully so. It's not that I don't trust myself or the gun, it's just a comfort thing. I do religiously practice my draw so I believe i'm pretty good at pulling and cocking. The repetition makes it second nature.

If someone is on top of me fast enough where I don't have time to pull and cock, I'm not sure I could get a good shot off pulling and shooting anyhow. If someone is already pointing at me, I'm not pulling anyhow.

it's a subject that is indeed controversial. I don't fault anyone for keeping one in the pipe. My lcp and glock don't have button or grip safeties so maybe that's part of it. I grew up hunting with long guns. All had safeties and my father beat it into my head. Rightfully so. It's not that I don't trust myself or the gun, it's just a comfort thing. I do religiously practice my draw so I believe i'm pretty good at pulling and cocking. The repetition makes it second nature.

If someone is on top of me fast enough where I don't have time to pull and cock, I'm not sure I could get a good shot off pulling and shooting anyhow. If someone is already pointing at me, I'm not pulling anyhow.

That is the best thing you can do, practice, practice , practice. I would also recommend someone to practice drawing with different clothes on. Everyone should also practice drawing and having the sights lined up. If you have a gun and don't draw it a lot you would be surprised how off your sights are on first draw and how long it takes to to line them up.

I have tried to draw at the range with my winter coat on and it was super clumsy and time consuming until I get my gun out. I will say a Front IWB is much faster than behind the back IWB. Al

You don't always have to get a "good shot" off. A lot of times even a miss is enough to end it or at least give you time to get  off a second, better placed shot or to find cover.

Im not criticizing the way you choose to carry, I think that an individual thing. Im just pointing out one consideration.

You don't always have to get a "good shot" off. A lot of times even a miss is enough to end it or at least give you time to get  off a second, better placed shot or to find cover.

Im not criticizing the way you choose to carry, I think that an individual thing. Im just pointing out one consideration.

totally with you. It's a decision I've struggled with. I honestly believe for the majority of situations a civilian would get into (not a LEO), simply pulling the gun is going to do enough.

• Like 1

totally with you. It's a decision I've struggled with. I honestly believe for the majority of situations a civilian would get into (not a LEO), simply pulling the gun is going to do enough.

assuming you're dealing with an unarmed adversary, that probably works.

assuming you're dealing with an unarmed adversary, that probably works.

So if he's armed and you know it, my point is round or no round in the chamber you might not want to pull your gun. He's already got the jump on you. If he's armed and you're both in holsters I guess we have a Wild West draw? Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk