Crossbow exemptions for those over 60

Dave

Stubby w all due respect, bow has had more time since it's less effecient. Never heard anyone say it was so effecient theyd not let it on they're property cause it did damage.

You musta had a bad experience somewhere so you're certainly entitled to your thinking

Kind of funny how 2 recurve hunters on this thread support full inclusion, but some compounders want their level if easy to be the bar.

There is a word for that.

Maybe I am wrong Steve but I was referring to your assumption as to who shoots what? Your question didn't match quote. Don't understand

Edited by Bowguy 1

Moog and I both hunt with recurves and are for full inclusion.

Much of the crossbow opposition comes from those who have no problems choosing a

compound over the far harder recurve/longbow.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cutting a deer with a razor and letting run until it bleeds out is cruel in my book. That however is a point for another day. Stated this to show you i am not for crossbows. I am however against bow hunters alwasy trying to make this all about them.

Have you ever done it or personally witnessed an arrow hit deer? two of the deer I have have taken with an arrow were both eating. I shot them and they jumped and went back to eating. after a minute or two they both laid down and curled up like they were tired. how many times have you cut yourself shaving and not even knew you did it until you saw the blood? Labeling it as cruel with no experience with it seems like a page out of the Anti's play book. 

• Like 1

Have you ever done it or personally witnessed an arrow hit deer? two of the deer I have have taken with an arrow were both eating. I shot them and they jumped and went back to eating. after a minute or two they both laid down and curled up like they were tired. how many times have you cut yourself shaving and not even knew you did it until you saw the blood? Labeling it as cruel with no experience with it seems like a page out of the Anti's play book. 

I buried a sheetrock knife in my wrist once....other then the "oh Sh@t" shock value, it reall wasn't an overwhelming pain.....and I doubt an animal can even process the thought of something like that like we can. I'm willing to bet that in some cases, if not most, the loud explosion of gunfire, followed by the massive impact of a bullet lends itself to more suffering then being shot with an arrow.....especially a well placed one.

• Like 1

This is true. It hasn't happened in a bit but when I was a kid it happened a bunch. Not sure if it was bow, broadheads or what. Id shoot a deer Itd look around or hop to me, go back to feeding n fall over. I def don't think it's cruel

• Like 2

For most individuals, it is easier to put an arrow in the kill zone of a deer with a crossbow than with a vertical bow, especially if fired from a rest with telescopic sights.   Also, "string-jump" is less likely with a crossbow than with a vertical bow, since no quick motions (ie: draw), is required when the deer is in close.    These two factors combine to make a wounded and unrecovered deer significantly less likely with a crossbow for hunters at all experience levels.      

Personally, I don't have a problem with hunters who prefer to use a vertical bow because of the greater challenge to themselves, even though that "challenge" may occasionally come at the cost of a wounded deer.  I respect those who put in the additional effort to attain proficiency with vetical bows.   I only have a problem with those who ridicule and seek to exclude those who prefer to minimize that challenge, and maximize the odds of a cleanly killed deer.   Selfish elitism is never a good thing.

Actually I hunted with a bow for 16 years. Never had a season I did not get one. Some were nice bucks others not so nice and does. I have posted pics of some of the bucks I took in past posts. Some were gun some were bow.

You mean to tell me the deer just tipped over. Showed no sign they were in trouble never even started kicking in desperation to stay alive?

There seem to be a lot posts during bow season asking for help with a lost deer. How many times have there been posts of deer never found. I'm not saying they are not lost with guns, however they odds of dropping on in it's  tracks are better with a gun then bow.

Tell me those deer that were lost or tracked for sometimes miles were not suffering and in pain and afraid until they died. All because a weapon that has little to no chance of killing instantly was used because someone wanted a challenge. As hunters we are conservationist and as sch we should be trying to take the animal with a weapon that affords the animal the quickest kill, not the one that gives the most challenge for us.

As for a gun shot causeing any concern for the deer, I have shot deer from a group only 50 yards away and the rest just stand there looking at the dead one. In fact I got a nice 10 point when he walked out of some tops and over to a doe I had just dropped.

Now why is it that my dislike of bows is jealousy and your dislike of crossbows is not? The only thing I am jealous of is that bow hunters can be so much more self righteous then I.

Now as I said in previous post this stuff is all things for another thread not to derail this one. This is suppose to be  about crossbow use for everyone or for only those who are over 60. If you must then please start a new thread or bring it back to op. 

• Like 1

I've learned to accept that an animal I intend to kill will more then likely be scared and feel some pain after I shoot them...pretty much comes with the territory. The act of killing something is seldom pretty, regardless of the weapon.

• Like 3

I've learned to accept that an animal I intend to kill will more then likely be scared and feel some pain after I shoot them...pretty much comes with the territory. The act of killing something is seldom pretty, regardless of the weapon.

Agree 100% that is why we should use the weapon which can deliver the quickest and fastest kill. Why make it worse then it has to be. Dead now is better then slowly bleeding or suffocating to death.

• Like 1

If a deer I kill takes a minute or an hr to die that is better than the lifetime of misery that the hog or cow would have to endure in captivity. I have killed a lot of critters and some lived a lot longer than I would have liked but there is no guarantee of a fast kill with any weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Agree 100% that is why we should use the weapon which can deliver the quickest and fastest kill. Why make it worse then it has to be. Dead now is better then slowly bleeding or suffocating to death.

Ain't nothing slow about it. Yes some guys may wound deer, it's no less perhaps than the gun or maybe it is. This is why shots only in the weapons effective range should be attempted w any weapon, if you've never taken one w bow you have no personal experience to draw from Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

I gotta say this, since we're on the topic of the pain and fear an animal feels when being killed by a human....almost every deer I've killed with an arrow was dead when I found it or died with never knowing what happened to it, and never seeing me. However, I can't say that about the deer I've shot with a bullet, there have been many that have layed there unable to move, taking their last breath while they watched me approach or stood next to them.......and I bet the majority can say the same.

• Like 2

Ain't nothing slow about it. Yes some guys may wound deer, it's no less perhaps than the gun or maybe it is. This is why shots only in the weapons effective range should be attempted w any weapon, if you've never taken one w bow you have no personal experience to draw from

I have stated on this and other threads I have experience to draw from. I hunted with bow for 16 years. I also have family and friends who hunt with a bow. If not slow then why do bow hunters wait before tracking the deer? It is because they have wait for the animal to bleed out or suffocate. No matter where you hit a deer with an arrow it takes time for it to die. First two deer I deer got with a gun were lung shot. Had to wait to die. After that all the rest have been head shot. They don't even kick from that. Can't get faster then that. No please this has been deraild long enough. I will comment on this no longer unless in a new thread.

I gotta say this, since we're on the topic of the pain and fear an animal feels when being killed by a human....almost every deer I've killed with an arrow was dead when I found it or died with never knowing what happened to it, and never seeing me. However, I can't say that about the deer I've shot with a bullet, there have been many that have layed there unable to move, taking their last breath while they watched me approach or stood next to them.......and I bet the majority can say the same.

As I said this will be my last response unless in a new thread. Dead where you found it. So you have no clue how the deer acted while you were sitting in your stand waiting. You have to go find them. So you do not see them take their last breath. Do you think they take that breath any different when an arrow is used then they do when it is a bullet? Shoot them in the head they do not get a last breath they get dead now.

As I said this will be my last response unless in a new thread. Dead where you found it. So you have no clue how the deer acted while you were sitting in your stand waiting. You have to go find them. So you do not see them take their last breath. Do you think they take that breath any different when an arrow is used then they do when it is a bullet? Shoot them in the head they do not get a last breath they get dead now.

The most gruesome wounding is the head shot that misses and take out the jaw. But of course you don't miss right?

• Like 4

With all due respect to your experience n God bless if it works for you, certainly deer head shot would die instant if you brained em.

I'm an accuracy freak but personally would call a head shot an irresponsible shot n certainly something way irresponsible to post.

Guess off just a couple inches ain't much, if so you could shoot one in the mouth, poor thing couldn't eat n would starve to death. Maybe graze his skull n knock him permanently silly. List goes on n on.

Every Hunter must be certain of his shots n ability n it seems you are but scopes break, ammunition may have been improperly loaded.

A sudden noise could get deer to move just a pinch as the trigger broke.

Way to many bad scenarios. Thank God Bowhunters are smarter than that

• Like 1

Stubby, I am not sure why you need to offend all bowhunters with your blanket accusations of elitism. Painting any group with such a broad brush always undermines credibility. Thank goodness you stopped being an elitist when you put down your bow.

• Like 4

Head shots, wow, anybody taking that bait?   Not too many went for the "arrow kills are unethical stuff", so why not ramp it up a bit on your second last post on the thread (math is tough too I guess).  Speaking of head shots, anyone see the third episode of Roots on the History channel?  There were a couple of great scenes there with the argument at the fancy dinner followed by the duel.