2016 Shed Hunting Thread...

WNY Bowhunter

So I was checking a small patch of woods in westchester (town woods that border backyards). I was walking around for about 30 minutes and all of a sudden TEN cars roll up. Unmarked cop cars!!! A neighbor called me in as a suspicious, could be burglar! After a pat down, license check and a 15 minutes explanation of what shed hunting is, they let me go. It's is amazingly difficult being an outdoorsman in the suburbs.

No shed by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

about 7 years ago I was looking for some sheds amherst/tonawanda behind some factories and a housing complex I had my camp coat on because that's what I wore to work that day I looked for sheds for a few hrs no.luck.on my way out I ran into 2 guys that took care of the apartment complex they were also looking for sheds I left went home then went and played some hockey that night I got home around 1am and a few minutes later a knock at my door a buffalo cop telling me that the Amherst police are looking for me some one said that I was hunting behind a apartment complex and took down my license plate the cop.duggested that I go to the police station asap and clear things up. I went to the police station right then and there and explained to a detective what I was doing I also told the detective that it was funny thatII'm being accused of poaching when I had cashed the dec to report 4 headless deer laying in a pile and this wasn't the first time that I reported such a find for that same location. the detective told me that if I didn't want to get in trouble I should just stay out of there.

So I was checking a small patch of woods in westchester (town woods that border backyards). I was walking around for about 30 minutes and all of a sudden TEN cars roll up. Unmarked cop cars!!! A neighbor called me in as a suspicious, could be burglar! After a pat down, license check and a 15 minutes explanation of what shed hunting is, they let me go. It's is amazingly difficult being an outdoorsman in the suburbs.

No shed by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has happened to me so many times its not funny. Last week I had a man (im guessing an angry homeowner) screaming at me and cursing me off before telling me hes calling the cops. I just laughed it off because i had a right to be where i was.

But i have had cops called on me many times. Most cops are cool about it

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Didn't come up empty handed while looking for sheds in this downpour.  You can tell how in tuned my eyes were looking for antlers that I actually found this knife with a sliver of decorative antler attached to it.  I think this knife was special to someone.  If anyone recognizes it let me know.  There is one little detail that if it was yours you would be able to tell me.

post-7067-0-03182400-1456340219_thumb.jp

Also found this waterfall that isn't so much of a waterfall unless it's raining like this.  All in all it was more fun than working today but I'm still bent on finding one of this years sheds.

post-7067-0-52234400-1456340284_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Got out for a couple hours this evening and scooped up my first ever "leap-horn".

NO ONE in the history of shed hunting has ever accomplished this feat two years in a row, so they are kinda special,lol

original.jpg

Lol I gotta ask maybe dumb...what's a leap horn?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lol I gotta ask maybe dumb...what's a leap horn?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

February 29'th only happens on leap years, so it would be impossible to find an antler two years in a row on the 29'th.

Hence it's a leap-horn! :mosking:

• Like 3

about 4-5 weeks ago I was getting bucks on trail cams regularly.  A bunch of you guys a few weeks ago were saying you were seeing antlers still attached to bucks.  I hadn't seen any antlers walking on my cams in 3-4 weeks.  I thought you guys were full of bologna.  They must have dropped off my bucks.  Wrong.  Had a buck walk through the yard last night with antlers still attached.  Fact is they must have just stopped posing in front of my camera.  I probably walked around so much looking for their antlers that it made them walk somewhere else.  That's life

• Like 1

Gave 'er hell this weekend but not much to show for it.

A couple more dead deer and a few arrows.

Saw a bunch of deer, a few turkey, and a red fox out napping in the sun so it turned out to be a pretty nice hike after all.

DSC_0232_zpsqhzlptxs.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsbmp7mn7d.jpg

DSC_0309_zpsxemk3yvk.jpg

DSC_0312_zpsnbhpzl7k.jpg

• Like 8