2016 Shed Hunting Thread...

WNY Bowhunter

Gave 'er hell this weekend but not much to show for it.

A couple more dead deer and a few arrows.

Saw a bunch of deer, a few turkey, and a red fox out napping in the sun so it turned out to be a pretty nice hike after all.

DSC_0232_zpsqhzlptxs.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsbmp7mn7d.jpg

DSC_0309_zpsxemk3yvk.jpg

DSC_0312_zpsnbhpzl7k.jpg

The 2nd arrow you put like that right...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The 2nd arrow you put like that right...

Nope, they were both buried in the tree the way you see them.

I found one more laying on the ground, so I'm up to 4 nice carbons on the season so far.

Got a nice variety of broadheads to play around with in the off season now.

• Like 3

Nope, they were both buried in the tree the way you see them.

I found one more laying on the ground, so I'm up to 4 nice carbons on the season so far.

Got a nice variety of broadheads to play around with in the off season now.

Wooly you on my land? Those are all our misses, you know we can't shoot worth a damn at bow season! lol

• Like 3

about 7 years ago I was looking for some sheds amherst/tonawanda behind some factories and a housing complex I had my camp coat on because that's what I wore to work that day I looked for sheds for a few hrs no.luck.on my way out I ran into 2 guys that took care of the apartment complex they were also looking for sheds I left went home then went and played some hockey that night I got home around 1am and a few minutes later a knock at my door a buffalo cop telling me that the Amherst police are looking for me some one said that I was hunting behind a apartment complex and took down my license plate the cop.duggested that I go to the police station asap and clear things up. I went to the police station right then and there and explained to a detective what I was doing I also told the detective that it was funny thatII'm being accused of poaching when I had cashed the dec to report 4 headless deer laying in a pile and this wasn't the first time that I reported such a find for that same location. the detective told me that if I didn't want to get in trouble I should just stay out of there.

Lol, they've got all that posted with no tress passing signs now ! I live in raintree island ... Some big boys in there !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bd95019d20b4ae261f47c0d26144de02.jpg

Saw this on fb figured I'd put up here for you guys lucky enough to find sheds

That's cool, but I could never bring myself to alter an antler in any way. I've had many offers for some of my antlers, including my nieces boyfriend who said "my dog likes chewing on them and they are so expensive at the store to buy, the next time you find some can I have them...."  LMAO.  NO! If I factored out the amount of hours I walk times my average hourly rate of what I am worth, NOBODY could afford what I have found...lol.

• Like 2

That's cool, but I could never bring myself to alter an antler in any way. I've had many offers for some of my antlers, including my nieces boyfriend who said "my dog likes chewing on them and they are so expensive at the store to buy, the next time you find some can I have them...." LMAO. NO! If I factored out the amount of hours I walk times my average hourly rate of what I am worth, NOBODY could afford what I have found...lol.

What do you do with them?

That's cool, but I could never bring myself to alter an antler in any way. I've had many offers for some of my antlers, including my nieces boyfriend who said "my dog likes chewing on them and they are so expensive at the store to buy, the next time you find some can I have them...." LMAO. NO! If I factored out the amount of hours I walk times my average hourly rate of what I am worth, NOBODY could afford what I have found...lol.

Ask him to take a walk with you sometime.

He will either return with being happy he learned how to shed hunt...or be happy to pay the price for store bought ones.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

that place really does have some big boys over there I remember about 7yrs ago there was a 13 and 15 pt that would hang out on the hill over

Lol, they've got all that posted with no tress passing signs now ! I live in raintree island ... Some big boys in there !

Ask him to take a walk with you sometime.

He will either return with being happy he learned how to shed hunt...or be happy to pay the price for store bought ones.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I did offer.  He said it was a waste of time.  lol.

Funny / ironic story.  I would think that my fellow shed hunters would agree that finding a matched set is considerably harder than finding just a single side!  So, my brother-in-law was in town for the weekend and we decided to do a little shed hunting (30 miles worth).  I spot what appears to be a small piece of an antler.  I walk over and investigate and see both sides basically laying on each other.  I pick them up and shout over to my brother-in-law of my find.  As he is walking towards me, and literally 10' from where I find mine, he stops and picks up another matched set....again, basically almost laying on each other.  Granted, small deer, but 2 matched sets within 10' of each other.  Crazy!

post-1540-0-48267600-1457461025_thumb.jp

• Like 13

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed anywhere close to that high. Do you have the stats broken out?

Yes. I had the rack scored by a member of the Northeast Big Buck Club for Non Typical score, but I never registered it with the club. The attachment is my spreadsheet file of the numbers as extracted from the score sheet. It officially it's only a 19 pointer but the family always spoke of it as a 21 pointer because we counted two of the extra three points it had. I do show those lesser points on my spreadsheet.

post-7255-0-71690000-1457715961_thumb.jp post-7255-0-98312000-1457716025_thumb.jp

And added note: the inside spread is limited to 18" for sheds. We really don't know what the spread may have been but as mounted the inside measurement is 19-1/8.

Edited by RoadKill44
  • Like 1