2016 Shed Hunting Thread...

WNY Bowhunter

I found another finial tip to top off one of my lamp shades today! :D

When I spotted this one laying there, I could almost imagine the little buck bedded and scanning the surroundings under the hemlock in my mind before he shook it loose!

He picked a great spot to catch some ZZZZZZZZZZ's!

original.jpg

original.jpg

• Like 7

4+ hours for me today.  I bet I crawled 250 yards on my hands and knees through some nasty holes, just bucky looking and found beans.............get all done and head over to pull my trail cams.  Walk up the dike of my buddies pond to peak at the geese and find THIS.....................

image_zps3v7a47gg.jpeg

Let me tell you, I worked hard for that little bone!  Oh well, all fun.

• Like 4

The way this year has been going, I wasn't sure I'd find a 3'rd antler on the season.
Today I introduced 3 new faces to the bone pile!
Nothing to write home about, but the 2 for 1 freshie set sure was a welcome sight to see!

original.jpg

original.jpg

...and another oldie trampled into the earth.

original.jpg

original.jpg

• Like 3

Some hard miles logged by shed hunters each year.  Some guys on here make it look easy and as many others know, it ain't!

Like I said, I busted my hump today to find that little bugger.  IIRC last year I found nothing and looked much, much harder.

Thumbs up to you dedicated guys!

• Like 1

My seven yr old and I have logged some miles. We started back in Jan at our local non hunting park. We had transisioned from the brushy field into the hardwoods.We always spread out while walking and im always way ahead as he is easally distrcted. Anyways im way ahead and i hear him yell dad i found a deer, keeps repeating it as im walikng back. I walk up to him not seeing anything and say where, he points right infront of me, wow sweet find! Not sure what happened to him but my son was super exited, the next morning he said he dreamed about it.

Last sunday morning he said he wanted to shed hunt behind great great grams house. We took a quick walk and he's dying to find a shed on his own. So I'm walking thru some brush and I see one, I call him over telling him this looks like a good spot ( I want him to find it) I sent him past it like for time, each walking right by it, finally I say stop and look around, he didn't find it first but non the less happy.

This am he wanted my wife to tag along at the park. She has never really even looked before but she found one. Not long after I heard my son make a excited noise and see him bend over and pick up his first on his own horn, a shinny 2pt and boy was he excited. I had a goose egg.

I cant get this to post pic between each story so they are in order of story, except the first two are reversed.

post-2758-0-30267400-1458524058_thumb.jp

post-2758-0-00982200-1458524066_thumb.jp

post-2758-0-31675700-1458524074_thumb.jp

post-2758-0-05902500-1458524081_thumb.jp

post-2758-0-17010100-1458524088_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Found 3 yesterday so here's my season total. Based on past years and this one I'm beginning to think my eyes just don't pick up the right side for some reason.

That's hysterical.  I just had this conversation with my Brother-in-law a couple weeks ago when he came to NY for the weekend to shed hunt with me.

I have way more lefts that rights.  I seem to always find the left for some reason.  I swear my deer drop the lefts on my property and the rights somewhere else every year.

Are you my neighbor?  lol.

Maybe we should shed hunt together. We might find all the matching sets.

I couldn't resist today and went shed hunting for 2 hours. I found sheds #16 and #17 for the year and a matching side to one of the antlers I found 3 weeks ago. I knew there were at least 2 great bucks in there and I've found 3 of their antlers so far, I'll be a happy man if I can find that last side... One was a fighter, broke his brow completely off one antler and his whole main beam beyond his G-2 on the other side.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

post-5688-14586829720519_thumb.jpg

post-5688-14586830036943_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

No sheds today, but I did find another dead buck.

Spotted something that didn't fit in about 50yds away and didn't know if it was worth going out of my way to investigate.

I should know better by now, but just goes to show even when you don't know what you're looking at, it could turn out to be just what you're looking for.....ANTLERS!!!

DSC_0335_zpswxv4xizu.jpg

DSC_0337_zpsagdnpl9k.jpg

DSC_0338_zpszk8b8x4c.jpg

Edited by wooly
  • Like 5