2016 Shed Hunting Thread...

WNY Bowhunter

That's hysterical.  I just had this conversation with my Brother-in-law a couple weeks ago when he came to NY for the weekend to shed hunt with me.

I have way more lefts that rights.  I seem to always find the left for some reason.  I swear my deer drop the lefts on my property and the rights somewhere else every year.

Are you my neighbor?  lol.

Maybe we should shed hunt together. We might find all the matching sets.

There has to be something to it because the odds would say it'd be closer to 50/50   But it seems like I'm only finding one right side per 10 left. Maybe it will all even out in the end? 

This spot used to be the town dump WAY back before my time. It's off a poorly maintained seasonal road that doesn't see a lot of traffic due to it's condition. Very narrow road with lots of missing chunks, very steep and winding so max speed is around 20mph tops.

Apparently some idiots never got the memo that the dump CLOSED, and continue to toss their crap over the ravine just off the shoulder.

I need to get Lawdwaz down here to help haul some of this crap away,lol

I check here every year because someone has been very consistent with dumping carcasses down here even leaving antlers attached to some of them.

For all I know, it could be roadkills tossed here by the DOT. I dunno, and don't really care about the deer that will rot away..., it's the other stuff that bothers me.

Anyhow, I grabbed a stinky set of 3pt antlers from one of the 3 carcasses I found down there today.

I can't believe how pathetic it's been that I've resorted to shed hunting a dump, but it produced some antlers again,lol

DSC_0374_zpsaoxm6kir.jpg

DSC_0378_zpsbd5kevof.jpg

DSC_0377_zpscycgan6u.jpg

This spot used to be the town dump WAY back before my time. It's off a poorly maintained seasonal road that doesn't see a lot of traffic due to it's condition. Very narrow road with lots of missing chunks, very steep and winding so max speed is around 20mph tops.

Apparently some idiots never got the memo that the dump CLOSED, and continue to toss their crap over the ravine just off the shoulder.

I need to get Lawdwaz down here to help haul some of this crap away,lol

I check here every year because someone has been very consistent with dumping carcasses down here even leaving antlers attached to some of them.

For all I know, it could be roadkills tossed here by the DOT. I dunno, and don't really care about the deer that will rot away..., it's the other stuff that bothers me.

Anyhow, I grabbed a stinky set of 3pt antlers from one of the 3 carcasses I found down there today.

I can't believe how pathetic it's been that I've resorted to shed hunting a dump, but it produced some antlers again,lol

DSC_0374_zpsaoxm6kir.jpg

DSC_0378_zpsbd5kevof.jpg

DSC_0377_zpscycgan6u.jpg

Man your dedication is incredible lol....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The things you find in a no hunting area...a490bb6432b8e2c8923afd9cbacae1b9.jpg323d4839bb1129b1bc4fcf1480d247f4.jpg

I'm not going to mention any specific spot on here since we are both from the same town and the last thing either of us need are MORE people coming in to the area......but, there is a non-hunting spot close to both of us that holds huge deer.  I walk it every year for sheds and I am amazed at the fact I find tree stands, bait piles, etc.  So, yeah, not surprised by your picture.  Maybe you were in the same area I am referring to.  There are some SERIOUS scumbag hunters out there that are an embarrassment to our sport.

• Like 1

Imagine having to wait until May 1 for shed hunting? It's crazy out west with people breaking laws just to get sheds. I've seen videos of people lined up and then racing onto land the day it opens for shed hunting. Pretty crazy

570c841de6f411ac54dfc767a35a204d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1540-0-02461500-1459044163_thumb.jp

Have I mentioned how much I hate squirrels? Lol.

Found this one yesterday. Sadly from last year. No idea how I walked by it until now. 8" circumference between the G3 and G4 where my hand is. G2 would have been an easy 10" with a kicker based on the mass of where it is chewed off.

<sigh>

• Like 5

I went to greener pastures a couple weeks ago.... IA, 45 sheds, including 7 matched sets. Best year ever. Normally I find 15-20 there. Also, 6 more from OH. Only 1 in NY so far, but I've only been out twice here.

attachicon.gifIMG_8563.JPG

are your dogs trained in finding them ? Nice haul!! You need to make some "Wooly lamps"
  • Like 1

are your dogs trained in finding them ? Nice haul!! You need to make some "Wooly lamps"

That's funny!

Most serious shed hunters wouldn't de-face a shed antler find in ANY way!

I've gotten over that stage and put 4 new lamps together this weekend,lol

Sometimes I can hear them scream when the saw teeth cut into their bones.... it hurts me too, but I try to block that out now! :notme:

I'd rather see someone else enjoy them instead of watching their color fade and sit in a bunch of covered bins until someone wants to look at them anymore.

Quite honestly, they're just taking up too much room in the first place, and secondly I've come to the conclusion that shed hunting is more about "the hunt" for me than it is in collecting them.

That's why I take pictures of them all!

Nice haul sambone!

Edited by wooly
  • Like 3

2 of the 3 dogs are supposed to be trained to find them (I was the trainer.) The youngest one doesn't even want to retrieve consistently, so until I get that straightened out, she's on hold. The big yellow one is a CRP expert. She specializes in pulling out old green antlers out of the deep, matted grass. She has picked up 6 so far this year. The black one has picked up 7 as well, but is more likely to pick up fresher ones. They generally work better alone- otherwise they just want to screw around and chase squirrels and rabbits.

As the great Wooly said- most serious shed hunters won't deface an antler they find. I'm still in the hoarding stage and I don't think I'll ever grow out of it. I have no problem cutting deadheads up to make knife handles, but I walk too many miles to find the sheds. (I average somewhere around 7 miles per...) I do intend to make display cases to put them in at some point. For now I just hang them on the wall but they are dust magnets.

Here's a set I found this year that gross scores a little over 160" with no spread credit:

post-50-0-20138400-1459109129_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

2 of the 3 dogs are supposed to be trained to find them (I was the trainer.) The youngest one doesn't even want to retrieve consistently, so until I get that straightened out, she's on hold. The big yellow one is a CRP expert. She specializes in pulling out old green antlers out of the deep, matted grass. She has picked up 6 so far this year. The black one has picked up 7 as well, but is more likely to pick up fresher ones. They generally work better alone- otherwise they just want to screw around and chase squirrels and rabbits.

As the great Wooly said- most serious shed hunters won't deface an antler they find. I'm still in the hoarding stage and I don't think I'll ever grow out of it. I have no problem cutting deadheads up to make knife handles, but I walk too many miles to find the sheds. (I average somewhere around 7 miles per...) I do intend to make display cases to put them in at some point. For now I just hang them on the wall but they are dust magnets.

Here's a set I found this year that gross scores a little over 160" with no spread credit:

attachicon.gifIMG_8449.JPG

Wow!