Old beautiful gun....

Hey guys, im inquiring for a friend, her father left her a gun that even local gun shops do not know anything about .. so i was hoping someone here could maybe help. She is looking to just get info about it, the make, possible model, era, you name it.. the only thing the shops and local museum could tell her is, that it seems to be a revolving shotgun from Belgium back in the 1800's... maybe 

If anyone has some knowledge of the gun or a place to inquire about it, we would greatly appreciate that...  

Thanks in advance

post-5238-0-59217100-1454080936_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-46476200-1454080954_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-34449300-1454080968_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Looks like a Colt copy, made in Belgium

"In 1855, with his Model 1855 patent, Colt introduced a spur-trigger revolver that featured a fully enclosed cylinder. These handguns were officially named Sidehammer revolvers, but they also were known as "Root" revolvers after Elisha K. Root, who at that time was employed as Colt's factory superintendent and Chief Engineer. Based on the Sidehammer design, Colt produced the Sidehammer Model 1855 rifles and carbines for military and sporting use, as well as a revolving shotgun. In failing health, Colt expanded his factory on the eve of the Civil War, and began production of a new, lightweight .44 caliber Army revolver, followed a year later by a .36 caliber Navy version.[2]

Dragoon carbines (other than the Belgian copies and experimental carbines) are rare. There are not many known examples, and it is most likely they were only available as a special order."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_revolving_rifle

P.S. I am no expert, I just googled around a bit. The engraving and lack of further stamps tell me it is a copy/custom order gun.

Also the crest is Belgian for sure, according to one site I saw, 1924 on that crest was used.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

Cool firearm!  Maybe Turnbull restoration in Bloomfield would know about it or the NRA may have info. on it send pics. to them. What gage shotgun do they think it might be?

she went there, and all they could tell her is possibly Belguim and a revolving shotgun maybe.. if i ever get some time i told her id do some research to help her get information... just have zero free time besides break time at work lol...  

It's entirely possible that it's a 'home-built' piece. A one-off product with no traceable provenance. I've owned a few of them over the years.

One-off prototype? Quite probable.

"Home built"? Not unless the guy had one hell of a machine shop in his shed.

Really lawdwaz? Have some self dignity, don't sit behind a computer playing the name calling game !

You have a fellow asking for some help for a friend and instead of offering some help in identifying the piece, you toss out a pretty big number (for some, but not all) to snatch it up from an uneducated individual. 

The OP didn't ask for offers nor did he say a damned word about selling the gun, just looking for information.

So now it's painfully obvious that you know something about the pictured firearm but aren't going to help out. 

Classy move...............

• Like 4

You have a fellow asking for some help for a friend and instead of offering some help in identifying the piece, you toss out a pretty big number (for some, but not all) to snatch it up from an uneducated individual.

The OP didn't ask for offers nor did he say a damned word about selling the gun, just looking for information.

So now it's painfully obvious that you know something about the pictured firearm but aren't going to help out.

Classy move...............

HERE! HERE!

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Instigators^ lol

Good job "Mr.Helpful" , your rude remark is taking people right off the main subject.

But no, my meeting spot would be at the flag pole. Teach respect that you learn when serving and protecting this great country. To respect your fellow man and respect the beautiful Red, White and Blue flying above us !