Our own survey

Dom

8h , myself 1 buck 1 doe. by choice we don't eat any more than that, and a second buck would have to be a lot bigger than the bow one .

The farm total 40 ish which is about normal but up from last 2 years.

I saw 7 while walking the land today .

Back in the day, I used to drag 'em out for the old guys.

Now I IS the old guys..If I am hunting alone and can't the machine close to 'em, I don't shoot 'em..

One exception is the place I hunt in PA...It's downhill all the way to the truck.

I've also been the mule MANY times for the older guys and now I'm getting long in the tooth too.  I'll grab the 'wheeler anytime I can or even drive right up to them as often as possible.

This past archery season I did something I've never done:  called in TWO guys to help drag the beast. 

205lbs of good times..................

IMG_7372_zpslkpg7phd.jpg

• Like 7

I've also been the mule MANY times for the older guys and now I'm getting long in the tooth too.  I'll grab the 'wheeler anytime I can or even drive right up to them as often as possible.

This past archery season I did something I've never done:  called in TWO guys to help drag the beast. 

205lbs of good times..................

IMG_7372_zpslkpg7phd.jpg

Dragging deer in Pa. was always a labor of love. Uphill was tougher, but always shorter. Downhill was easier, but always a long way back to the truck. Getting deer through a swamp is the toughest, especially when the water/mud is neck deep.

I can confidently say that my longest drags by far have been in Pennsylvania.  Many times when I'd get back to the truck huge patches of hair would be removed from the buck's side. 

I always dreaded the kill that came after 4:30pm..........UGGH. It's a wonder I didn't knock out a blinker with a stick in the dark.  :)

• Like 1

1C Long Island 1 doe

3A central Catskills 1 buck

Season was different in Catskills this year for us. Oddly the buck to doe ratio for deer seen was skewed more in favor of doe than normal. I think it's because season started later into rut than normal. And the total deer seen was down, as was expected coming off the 2 back to back tough winters. Personally I saw 2 bucks and maybe 6 or 7 does in 7 days of hunting. And 2 bears. One was a cub that was up in a tree. The other was a shooter that came scampering down a tree and ran away as we were dragging my cousins buck.

Couldn't quite get the Gilson to my 2nd buck this year, had to drag him 10 feet. (I take the tiller/PTO deck off & put a tilt trailer on it in the fall)

005_zpsa0cf9efd.jpg

Forgot I had this picture of the buck in my old tilt cart. I took this right were I loaded him. I thnk I had to unhook the cart from the tractor to get it closer to him.

DSC04902_zpstss0ucxj.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

That day my young mindset got the better of me as my dad offered to come help. I said I'd be ok just take my time which I did but in hind sight should have taken the help offered... Great memories though

I still have a young mind set...but know when I'm beat...having to hoof it up the hill near 3/4(1/2 mile up then 1200ft to the house) of a mile hoping my son was still around was  a must...and even though he was not happy seeing how big and where the buck was we had a great time getting him out...first time ever I have needed help at the house. I'll never forget the look on his face when he finally crawled through the rose and saw him " What the hell Mom!, why would you ever put a stand down in this?!"...lol I just said.... your looking at why...Yes great memories...

• Like 1

a lot of zeros...but a whole lot of buck taken this year...was it not seeing the doe or got my buck and was good to go?

Here it wasn't seeing the doe during the day..even in archery season...cams showed lots of doe.

I've been noticing this too. I saw more buck this season then the last 2 or 3 combined. I think I almost had even numbers of buck to doe on one of the properties I hunt. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how many didn't get a buck because they pass on some bucks

7M  7 pointer, only saw one Buck.

Could have shot a Doe a couple of times but passed.

I would have passed on anything less than 6, just my personal thing.

Edited by Ford

how many didn't get a buck because they pass on some bucks

Passed on many spikes and 4's.

As of last weekend , the deer were lining up to pose in front of my cameras. I have 2x the number of deer on camera this year than any other , but all from 9 pm to 6am from mid bow through Christmas. The deer are here not during the day, though.

• Like 1